How Long Before I top Powerlock

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Hi,
    I have a brand new car delivering tomorrow and I want to treat it special, right out of the gate.

I've decided to apply a coat of PowerLock (or should I apply 2??) and then top it with either Zymol Glasur or Swissvax Zuffenhausen. My question is: How long should I wait before I top it?

I realize there really is no need to top Powerlock but I have serious issues:shakehead: and I really want to protect the paint and have maximum slickness. Plus I'll probably end up re-applying next week anyway...

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Joe D.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

wait 12 hours...... I top my MPL during the winter with Carnanuba and it does change the look makes it look deeper and wetter and not as "glass like" should I say. As for multiple coats, I've done that as well, but waited almost 2 days before I got around doing that, I am sure you are under time constraints, so one will probably sufficient.

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Agree with Kilo6_one - but if I cant wait 12 hours, then I let it sit overnight and apply a 2nd layer the next morning, Its not the drying time as much as the Curing time it needs.
    I am not sure that applying a wax even the newer technology ones, is going to make the surface slicker, as wax being wax, tends to attract dirt to it easier, and in my experience, takes away some of the "slickness" that Menzerna Powerlock leaves...
    Maybe someday I will experiment more with your methods (Swissvax, Zymol, etc., products) and see what happens... :)

Dan F

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

yeah, I should have noted, that. The wax actually IMO makes it worse in cases of dust etc. It does make it look nicer and it creates beading in the rain, hence I only top during the fall and winter monthes. It actually makes the finnish very tacky IMO and takes away from the sheeting abilities of the sealant.