I am also looking at a few cameras and can get the following for roughly $200 (a local selling on craigslist) Has anyone used these? I am not a camera person and dont know much about it. I am basically looking for a decent camera, but not quite the level of a DSLR. Fuji Finepix S1000FD Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd Review OR Canon SX1100 IS Buy the Canon PowerShot SX110 IS 9-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com
You may wanna consider this camera as well since it fits your budget. Canon PowerShot SD 870 IS. It's an excellent camera & its picture quality is second to none in this price range.
Besides the obvious, what does the image stabilizer do and does it make a big difference? I noticed the Fuji camera says it does not have one.
It just compensates for hand shake. The best features I love about the SD870 is the fact that it has an ultra wide angle lense & a fast lense/shutter speed.