Homemade wax

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by bryansbestwax, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I think the only thing I have left to try is parrafin wax and delimonene. I will have some isoamyl acetate coming but its more for fragrance than anything else.

2. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Good job Bryan :mounty:

The D-Limonne is ok IMO, I found the other solvents to be slightly better when used alone. The D-Limonene does help tremendously with the smell however when using other solvents ;)

Beding looks very similar to mine and other homebrews. I am currently testing mine against 2 other locally available waxes namely XXX and Sonax Xtreme for durability :)

3. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Very interesting there Bryan, would like to see how the durability of it is.

4. bryansbestwax

Batch 15 will be mixed tonight, a slight variation from 14. If it works, I don't see why it wouldn't, 3 pots will go out to various parts of the globe for opinions. It is a bit oily but would be comparable to those that need to sweat a little and buff to a final gloss. Ease of use is pretty good, and appearance and slickness are good. I let the first sit for ten miutes or so allowing the solvent to flash off. I must say its been fun and I think I accomplished the main goal, make a useable, decent looking wax at home. Thanks to Ben for the thread that started the trend.

Cheers

5. bryansbestwax

3 pots going out next week to 3 lucky testers

D2G
    Fueltuner
    Rubbishboy

As these guys already know, the pots should be tested, evaluated and posted. Also I am asking that the pots be sent to others on the forum close to you

Rubbishboy(Ben)- Dave KG and Dom and whoever
    Fueltuner (Derek)- Carlos and whoever
    D2G-Zspectrum and Scott and whoever

The samples are approximately 2.5 oz. Your feedback will be appreciated:gidiup:

6. bryansbestwax

Some of my recipes are going up tomorrow, the good the bad and the ugly, this may help a few start experimenting a little better off than I did.

7. bryansbestwax

First recipe. The good. A little on the hard side and a little tough to get off, but a decent go.

7g carnauba
    3g bees wax
    3g candellila wax
    15 ml of trupentine
    3g of coconut oil
    20 ml on linseed oil

8. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Glad to hear that things are going for you bryan. You have been working very hard. stay on track. You will be fine...:applause:

9. bryansbestwax

Second Recipe, the ugly

OK this one went to the extreme and was not usable but it may help to show the limts that a wax has. Too much oil and solvent created a mushy useless mixture
    7g Carnauba
    3g bees
    3g Candellila
    40 ml mineral spirts
    40 ml linseed oil
    5g coconut

10. Buddy

Have you got any feed back from the first recipe you sent out yet ??? :picture::picture::picture::picture::picture:

11. bryansbestwax

Not yet they won't go out until Friday. I have been crazy busy as of late and didn't get them poured until this week

12. bryansbestwax

A few samples of homebrew were sent out to a couple of people so I can get some unbiased opinions. Just seeing how usable a homemade wax really is. What I sent out would be considered a soft wax to me. I will be brewing up a hard wax off of this recipe

7g bees wax
    7g carnauba
    3g Candellilia wax
    10 ml of turpentine
    25 ml of linseed oil
    8 g of coconut oil

This recipe actually yields a half decent wax.

Also on the agenda is a liquid wax, which I have no real idea where to start. Some guidance for this might be appreciated.

13. bryansbestwax

Update on durability, so far my hood is still beading at a little over two months, from the initial application posted earlier on. Feedback will slowly filter in from a few people.

14. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

up date on me receiving my samples; still no samples :shakehead:

15. bryansbestwax

I only sent out so far to four people. I don't plan on blowing lots of money on it, just sent a few out to post on the actual performance of something that is homemade versus big boy store bought

16. bryansbestwax

Latest update, four pots went out, two in Canada, 1 to the States and one to the United Kingdom. Apparently people seem to like the stuff so I may send 2 more pots out for some opinions. I never thought I would even make a usuable wax let alone one that people like the look of. More to come, thanks for viewing. If anyone has any ideas on how to formulate a liquid wax I am all ears, or even a quick detailer. I have powdered carnauba and would like to fiddle with it a little.

17. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I have update of wax I will post later....

18. Buddy

Hey Bryan, What happens If people really like it. Have you had a chance to think ahead a little bit. We all know that you've been working really hard and if 911 likes It. You may be In for masive orders. Anyway, I'm glad to see that you've come this far. Congratulations Bro...:thumb:

19. bryansbestwax

Don't really know, I am not allowed to sell anything until I speak to Carlos, as I must stick to the rules. Never thought about selling it as I figured at best it might be is ok. I started the post as a continuance to the Rubbishboys thread adding any information I could along the way. Just thought it may give people a little insight into wax making, production wax making is a whole other realm. I posted in the format of an instruction as I thought others may join in as well and it would be cool to swap stories, successes and failures:mounty:

20. bryansbestwax

Made three more samples for fun. Looks seem to be there and application seems to be good judging from the feedback, longevity is pretty good around three months or so. Beading is not as tight as some of the waxes with polymers in them but I guess that's what you get for homemade stuff. For those who want a stripped down version there is a blog on blogger called homemade wax