Homemade wax

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by bryansbestwax, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Got a recipe that I am happy with, one minor tweak to make, other than that, very satisfied. no streaking, good clear gloss, beads nicely. See blog for pics. If the tweak works out ok, I will send out a few sample to special people.

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

:applause::worship2::mounty::applause2::kiss:

3. bryansbestwax

Batch 11 done, good results, may add more solvent in the next batch, but I am pretty happy with what I have. Not a miracle product but it works. Now I am looking for banana oil, as the new solvent. The shine is good, beading good, ease of application, not bad on this batch. I don't think you can get a wet look with natural ingredients, without the use of polymers. You can definitely get a warm look though.

4. bryansbestwax

5. bryansbestwax

Next on the list, paraffin wax

6. bryansbestwax

OK I am starting to finally get the hang of this, on Batch 12, still lots of product left to play with. I will be searching out a new solvent, mineral spirits and turpentine can only go so far. I have located the almighty banana oil, worth a shot. I also have some mango butter coming, if anything the wax will smell better. If batch 12 works out ok I might send out a sample to a couple of special people. So far I am learning lots and having fun and not spending much money, this is key. Once my truck is back from the bodyshop I will do some alot more testing to see which wax perfoms the best and which is the easiest to use.

7. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Did you get the banana oil from that link I posted for ya?

8. bryansbestwax

If it was Spectrum chemical then yes that is where I am getting some from

9. bryansbestwax

Well batch 12 was a dud, too much oil and solvent, came out as slop, so I have found an upper limit to the mix. A few arrivals came today, pumpkin seed oil, grape seed oil and mango butter. I like the feel of the pumpkin seed oil, very slick feeling, I will definitely add it to the next batch. I will take what I have so far and start some real testing on it. I can then take the top dogs and add some of the new ingredients into the mix. So far the failure rate is about 75%, that are either too hard to work with or too oily and unusable

10. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hang in there Bryan. You have all winter.

11. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Good work Bryan, I had the same issue (hard white ontop with perfect innards) when using white spirits as the solvent. Definately think it has something to do with either the heating or cooling process as another sample of very similar composition was perfect ;)

12. bryansbestwax

Last batch using pumpkin oil and mango butter came out pretty good. I fiddle with it a little taoday and should see the results tomorrow. We're making progress, bit by bit. The texture is becoming more to my liking. Another interesting point is if you mix the composition when it is semi hard it yields a soft wax. no mixing give you a harder wax, pretty cool. I am sure there are infinite ways to mix and make a wax, infinite more ways to process it, but I am confident I can get a wax that works quite well. It won't be a competitior in the market, but it will be hand made with love by me.

13. bryansbestwax

Well I just picked my truck up from the bodyshop, I have one more home brew to do tonight and testing will likely be Friday, with pics of course. The beading of the last mix was better than the Batch 4 sample, which up until now was the winner. I have increased the carnauba and decreased the beeswax, the removal is easier now, too sticky with the other batch.

14. droopy2

droopy2 Virgin Detailer

A very interesting read. My first attemt will be tonight I have most of what I need and will be giving it a go. I think simple to start with and hopefully it will stay that way, however I think there is going to be a very steep learning curve for me.

15. bryansbestwax

Best of luck, Batch 14 a success for me, I will test it tomorrow for performance. It has the feel I am looking for and spreads and comes of easy. Will check beading tomorrow on the hood, Batch 13 beaded better than any other batch so far.

16. droopy2

droopy2 Virgin Detailer

I don't want you to give anything away so just aquestion how are you letting it cool, I was thinking of adding the solvents as it is cooling and giving it a good mix up at a slow but steady speed. Hopefully eliminating any seperation / caking of the top layer.

WD

17. bryansbestwax

That will help, and will give you a softer wax, I am just lazy and I break up the top layer a bit and then its ok. But if you want a softer wax, as it is semi har add the solvent and mix well.

18. droopy2

droopy2 Virgin Detailer

well I got 4 batches done last night.
    Batch 1 was quite hard but did soften with a rub of the fingers but remained a little to oily and had to stay on for up to 15 minutes
    Batch 2 was better and a little softer but still a little hard and took 10 minutes to cure and buffing off was bette and I was quite supprised.
    Batch 3 was even softer but still a bit hard 5 minutes to cure and buffing was better.
    Batch 4 was the same as 3 but I added mintan wax just to see the differance and it was pretty much the same as 3 but a different colour.

I am now going to order some orange oil and have a go at adding a silicone emulsion when I get it. :shead:

I'll post up some pics on the weekend. I am also going to do a test pannel on an old suzuki van my folks have at their factory that died some time back.

WD

19. bryansbestwax

Batch 14, I think I wil call it quits for now, maybe send a few samples out for opinions

[​IMG]
    ]

[​IMG]

that's it for now. The consistency is good, maybe a little more solvent needed to disolve the wax a little more but I am pretty satisfied for now.

Ingredients at this point

Mineral Spirits
    Pumpkin seed oil
    Linseed oil
    coconut oil
    mango butter
    carnauba wax, 2 kinds
    bees wax
    and candellilia wax

Hope you enjoyed

20. droopy2

droopy2 Virgin Detailer

looking good. I never managed to do any more this weekend but did try my first 4 batches on my brother in laws old passat he is selling. and id was not too bad. but a long way to go.

Like you I need to add a little more solvent as they were still quite hard and a little to oily. after 10 -15 minutes though they did buff off quite well.

The ingrediants do far for mine is

carnauba wax
    bees Wax
    montan wax
    coconut oil
    paraffin

I am waiting for my orange oil or D-lemoen to arrive before I continue.

WD