High End Leather Cleaners/Conditioners

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Divine Detail, Oct 15, 2007.

1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Well the LM worked pretty well. The strong cleaner is definitely strong! I think the black stuff was paint or something. It did eat into the leather a little.

LM Strong Cleaner then LM protection Cream.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

3. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

looks good, is it a product you would buy again?

4. D&D Auto Detailing

As of right now, yes. Ill be doing a better review next week when I use it on my own seats. Probably going with softer cleaner this time, then leather vital, and topping it with protection cream.

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Were you able to get it to foam? I never could. If you did would you please post your method so I can see what I did wrong.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

That looks good, oh and nice pictures too :thumb:

Look forward to that review.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

Nope, I wasnt able to. I was using a microfiber applicator. Next time Ill be using a sponge applicator. What were you using?

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I tried both MF applicator and sponge applicator and no luck with either. It didn't seem to affect it's cleaning ability just wasn't sure if I did something wrong.

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

looks like you can practice on my vette and maxima:woot:

10. D&D Auto Detailing

I dont think it really makes a difference.

Vette yes, Maxima no thanks. :p:

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No problem will leave in the garage without fob so you can not go joy riding:p:

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Leather used in Automobiles:
    Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather that is sometimes protected with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear.

It’s possible that there is a historic association with old world quality with these types of products i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors; despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using pigmented upholstery, the majority of which is covered with an acrylic polyurethane for many years. As materials and production methods that are used change; we need to adapt our methodologies to change with them

Leather is made from animal skins or hides which have been chemically treated to preserve quality and natural beauty. The chemical procedure used to ready raw animal hides for use is called "tanning." A piece of hide or skin which has been tanned produces strong, flexible leather which is able to resist decay and spoilage.

How your leather feels tells you more about its condition than anything. It should feel like something between velvet and satin, supple, inviting and luxurious. Leather care starts with maintaining factory fresh feeling leather from the beginning. Keeping it clean is important, but hydration is the key; preserving the life—flexibility, appearance and longevity—of your leather.

All cowhides are naturally oily; unfortunately, the chrome tanning process removes the natural oils and fat from the hide, reducing the hide to collagen fibres. A process called fat liquoring is carried out that introduces the tanners own blend of balanced fats and oils back into the leather, which coats the individual fibres, sealing them into the hide; they are stable and very difficult to remove These fat liquoring formulas are closely held secrets, passed down through the generations. This is one reason why one company's leather can have a totally different feel, fragrance, texture and softness from another company's product. Modern leather tanning methods; chrome tanning, seals the hides ‘locking in’ the necessary fats and oils; leather is hygroscopic (it naturally absorbs and retains water), meaning it’s also susceptible to losing the moisture necessary to keep it pliant and soft, all that is required is hydration of the leather hide to avoid it drying out.

The interior environment of an automobile can be extremely demanding on any material used. Temperatures range from hot dry summer days, to freezing nights, both high and low humidity-even air conditioning that cools but also dries. One of leathers greatest enemies is the sun, heat, body oils and ultra violet radiation (UVR) which dries, fades the colour by bleaching and can cause the leather to fail by drying out the fibres causing the polyurethane and or the hide to crack.

Upholstery leather given the proper care and protection will withstand all of the above; provided the loss by evaporation of its essential moisture is replenished to counteract drying and stiffening, and to maintain both flexibility and suppleness. Upholstery leather should be routinely cleaned with a pH balanced, non-alkaline cleaner to loosen and lift grease, dirt and dust without overly drying the leather or affecting the hides natural pH. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration)