HID Kits

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Supertuner, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

I was thinking of putting some hids in my truck and was wondering if any of you guys had some reviews heard some good things from DDM tuning kits and the cheap ebay ones seem to be hit or miss with flickering, any other kits you guys know about? was thinking a 6000k kit

2. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I've been running DDM kit for a year now without issues. I'm running the 5000K bi-xenon kit on my 2000 Maxima.

3. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

have you had any problems with flickering? I looking at a bi kit as well

4. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I have the exact same as Gianni and they are well over a year old and have not had a single issue with them. Loved them so far and even thinking of replacing my fogs with some soon.

I considered the 6000 but definitely happy I went with 5000, didn't really want any blue in the hue, I like the white.

5. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

One light failed to start a few days after install. I also had one flicker once (really cold night out). But all of these issues happened a couple of weeks after the install. I haven't had any issues since. 5000K kit looks really OEM. I didn't buy it for looks, I bought it for the increased light output.

6. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

Hope you have projectors....

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I'm not running projectors ... The lamp design has a decent cutout. It barely produces any glare and I haven't been flashed by incoming traffic. I was planning on buying the 2002-2003 headlights (factory HID), but I don't like their separate hi/low beam design.

8. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Ive seen some 5k a slight yellow glow to it, so thats why I was looking at 6k kit but over all just want a brighter light, prefer a pure white look. thinking about doing my fogs while Im at it.

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I run 4600k Xentec's never had any issues..... been using them for 4 years or so.

10. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

6000k will have a bluish hue to it. If you want the purest white, 5000k is the way to go. Most HID bulbs will color shift over time, ranging anywhere from 100-500k.

I've heard generally positive things about DDM kits but I have no experience with them. I'm currently running XenonDepot and Retrosolution on my car and both haven't given me any problems over 2+ yrs.

11. durabio

durabio Birth of a Detailer

+1 for projectors

Even though you may have hid kit in your lamp housing and have not been flashed it could be just that the opposing driver did not want to. I know that I don't flash someone even though their ridiculous light is blinding.

Back on topic though I have had a few friends with DDM kits that last only a few months (lowest was about 3.5 months) and some that last a couple of years. Should consider saving up for a retrofit though, its a rewarding experience and the controlled light output is way superior to a hid kit.

12. StuLax18

StuLax18 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

DDM 6000K for 2 years now, replacement headlights and an HID kit in the fogs.

13. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

I've been running their OLD DESIGN 5k slim ballast raptor for 2-3 years now without any issues. During the past year they've grown more popular and as a result their quality in products have decreased. My forum members have had problems with some of the new patch of hid ballast, for example, flickering, ballast going out and etc. Imo, it's a hit or miss atm and I guess if the first one gets messed up and you have to buy another one then it just adds up to a legit kit you could of gotten without any headaches.

14. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

is the ddm warranty legit, so if a ballast bust or a bulb do they replace it for you, or do you still have to pay?

15. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

ddm kit in my kawasaki zx10r for 3years no problem and ddm kit it my low beams and fogs in my tahoe for 2 years with no issues

16. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I believe they cover everything. My friend got his ballast replaced by them.

I have DDM tuning HID bulbs and ballasts in my fog lights. They're legit!

17. StuLax18

StuLax18 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've also heard less good things lately about them.

18. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

are hids in the fogs a good idea, or is it true that halogen are better for the fogs, Ive heard that but cant seem to see why they would be better than if i got an additional kit for the fogs

19. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

I wouldn't run HIDs without doing a proper retrofit. I also wouldn't deviate far from 4300K, for greatest light output. Poke around HIDPlanet.com, and you'll learn quite a bit.

20. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i have them in my fogs for color only they are 3k a pale yellow....my stock fog lights had bad output so i wasnt really concerned