HELP with rims. Step inside.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by TexasTB, Mar 7, 2008.

1. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Alright, these aren't rims that I am detailing, but a friend of mine is. Well, it's his truck and he wants to clean up the rims. What in the world could I use on these? I have given him everything I had including a powerball to try to clean them up. You can notice a difference, but not a drastic one.

Looking for suggestion to get these cleaned up a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

what r they made from??? claying the wheel and maybe compounding it

3. TexasTB

he said aluminum. mag maybe?
    not sure if claying will do. He said he took some 2000 grit to a small section to see if it would do anything....

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Man, loooks like a dremel tool might be needed here!

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Probably the only thing to do if they are uncoated aluminum is to take them off and have them professionally polished by someone that polishes aluminum.

6. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

He should see some difference after sanding them with 2000 grit then a compound to get the sanding out.

7. richy

richy Guest

I've never used one, but would a power ball and some metal cleaner do the trick? That and throw in a few "hail mary's!!":giggle:

8. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

If not cleared coated wet sanding then polishing might be the only thing that will bring them back to life and get out the pitting. Definitely a lot of work.

9. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

:thud:
    Let us know if anything worked please! Poor rims!

10. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

you could try, if the 2000 grit does'nt work, some 000 steel wool with polish. i've used this method on centerline all aluminum rims and they cleaned up rather nice.

11. TexasTB

I gave him some old billet polish (Eagle 1 Cycle) and he said it is working the best so far. I have yet to go over and check them out Will update as soon as I can.