Help on technique on paint correct plastic bumpers

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 95cent, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

I checked with Gerry on this and he said that it wouldn't hurt the 3M, it's funny because the 3M just peels off like a sticker hahahaha and if you polish it your not really causing any harm to it...well you can if you over heat the 3M but if you polish fast you remove all oxidation and swirls on it..but you have to be extra careful with it and really keep the heat down as much as possible. Gerry was kind enough to show me how to polish the 3M, so I really on his advise as he's been in the industry for longer then I have lived...not sure who's right though :confused: because I too have been told by other painters that it's not really necessary to polish the 3M.

I know it's not necessary to do it but when you do you bring it back to life and remove the hazy appearance it gets after contamination sticks to it....again just what I do, may not work for others but just sharing my methods that's all :peace:

2. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

FWIW, 1000 rpm, LC green, 106. Touch through on a repainted lower eyelid on a e-46m3 today. First pass over. I am less than pleased. The car is new to the owner. the dealer did not disclose that portions have been spot resprayed.

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I buff the plastic bumpers the same as the rest of the vehicle, the only thing I do differently is check the work area alot more. Do one pass and check and go from there. The plastic parts correct alot quicker than the steel parts, over time you will get a feel for them and be able to get your process down without any problems.

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Not sure who Garry is, but heres what it says on the site.

"Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
    A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used."

What do you think man? Ive never polished one before, just going by the website here.

5. 95cent

95cent Virgin Detailer

I'm new to the detailing lingo, what is FWIW stand for?

6. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

FWIW for what it is worth.

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

om some of the plastic bumpers with hard paint, I use a speed around 1000RPM, move it slower, but it will break down. I think it will finish clearer than the rest of that car. I personally wouldn't use anything abover 2000. I usually use 1200-1800 on the majority of the car. Once you get more comfortable with the rotary I would bump it up to 1200. Remember to edge before hand.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Garry is my friend who owns his own Auto Body Shop http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f52/maranello-auto-refinishing-796.html He's been in the industry for quite a few years now and he's my go to guy if I need advise on something. It's funny becuase he's got two painters and two body man and with the experiance those four guys have it's way over 100 year hahahaha, well I find it kinda funny but funny in a good way.

I've been polishing the 3M protection for quite a bit now and I haven't had a problem, but like I said I'm going with what my friend Garry advises me :shrug: but so far his advise has been dead on :thumb: nice thing is that I can go to his shop and he will show me how to use the product or show me some tips once in a wile.