Head light polishing??

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by jason827, Jul 28, 2011.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I thought about seeing if I could find a reputable supplier of the pre-cut film so I could order it whenever I had a headlight job coming up.

If not this year, maybe I'll do it next year.

2. slanguage

There headlight coating a can is $50. UV lights start at $300.

I asked if the UV lamp was necessary, and he said he "highly recommends" it, which is what I expected them to say.

3. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Man, so it's even more then the SEM spray?

I wonder if any regular clearcoat will do instead. I mean it will still last longer then polishing headlights and putting a wax or sealant on them (which only lasts a few months tops before the yellowing comes back).

4. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Did anyone try opti-coat on headlight?

5. Innovative

Innovative Virgin Detailer

Thanks nth degree...........I use 1 of 2 systems.........one is the SEM system I showed above and the second is a 2-part wipe on coating that is also a UV sacrificial coating. I honestly believe that with all the prep work involved to bring the lights from failed to ready to recoat, its just not worth using some inferior coating that will ultimately fail. I have been restoring headlight lenses for almost 10 years and the industry finally has a system that replaces the failed OEM sacrificial UV coating and it lasts.....

In regards to the UV curing lamp.....it is a must!! you need a quick drying time or else the tacky lens will attract dirt and dust and it wont cure........Sunlight wont cut it either, been there done that...

6. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I have put Opti-Coat a several sets of polished headlights this year. Did not have any issues applying it. It has only been say 4-5 months since using it on the first car. No yellowing yet.

7. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

The headlights need a urethane coating to make it last years. Delta kits sells a 2 part coating for 80 bucks but you can make it cheaper yourself.

8. slanguage

Link to said kit?

9. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

10. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Opti Coat - You only need a few drops to do each headlight.

Normally I will just put a long lasting sealant and it's good for a while.