HD Uno users?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by GDAL, Oct 31, 2009.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys,

Has anyone here tried this product? I have been reading a lot about it on Autopia, but I haven't heard anything here. I'm interested in hearing how good or bad this thing is for quick 1-steppers.

Thanks in advance,
    Gianni

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

never heard of it... sounds like a typical all-in-one to me

poorboys polish with sealant, or jeff werkstat prime strong would probably be jsut as good

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Their tire gel looks interesting too.

4. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Its not an AIO. It more along the lines of System One or Optimum Polish etc.. One polish, different pads, different correction levels. From what I've seen on Autopia I will probably pick some up.

5. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I've seen a good amount of people experiencing holograms with it, not sure if it's with the polish itself of the user not breaking it down enough. I think it's getting so much publicity because David B. is hyping it up so much, I haven't really seen any TRUE review yet, comparing it side-by-side with a 2-step or something so I'm skeptical about it.

One thing people have to realize about 1-steppers, is that you need to work them for a good amount of time if you are using only that polish since it needs to fully break down. The guy who does a bunch of Ferrari's on Autopia in Hungary, he said he found the perfect one-step and way to do it, but it takes so much time that multi-stepping it would be faster. I would personally wait for a true, unbiased comparison before you buy it.

Actually, if it's like what Gemini said, it sounds like Menzerna P203S. Or any polish at all. The main marketing point has been you only need the HD UNO pad, one pad, one polish, and from what I've seen so far, it's been leaving holograms. I think it's just too hyped up.

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks guys for the comments ...

I also noticed the hyped up publicity and the lack of a true test. Most of the posts I have seen deal with specific correction areas (instead of full details) and cars that don't need major correction.

7. crew219

crew219 Birth of a Detailer

I have UNO and Poxy for sale in the classifieds . . . . as for the reasons why I'm selling . . . well you can imagine that they're pretty similar to what everyone else has been voicing. Poxy did perform pretty well, but I have too many sealants.

Dave

8. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

hhhmmmm... well it seems like Autopia is a tainted forum and a lot of info on there is of no effect

9. richy

richy Guest

There's a reason I don't go there hardly at all. Not to bash the big A, but I prefer it here by a mile.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Read some decent reviews on Autopia, but not a conclusive review of the product, it is a product between 105/205. The pads do seem nice though, but I got some HD Protect to test out and do love it and does what it is suppose to do, so take that for what it is worth. Uno may not be the one step it is talked out to be but seems like a decent polish. Deff would have to follow up with 85rd or something to get rid of some hazing and what not.

11. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

Boy, I think this thread stirred up a bees nest over on autopia!!! :yikes:

I think it refers this thread (or perhaps not this one?)...

autopia.org

Either way it could be a neat event.

12. Cleaning Fool

Cleaning Fool Birth of a Detailer

Two detailers in my area that I know personally, highly respect and do top notch work both endorsed Uno as an excellent polish. Neither one mentioned holograms, then again they are top notch at what they do. If you are getting holograms I would bet its user error and not the polish.

13. Darkstar752

I hope it's not this one. I never said ANYTHING about it being a mediocre polish at all. I've never tried it, I was simply stating my opinion on it from what I've seen, citing the lack of any true tests and how much publicity it's getting. I've only seen about 5 results with it, and in 3 of them it was followed by another polish to remove holograms, and the other 2 were people experiencing holograms. I'm not saying that's definitive by any means, it might be all user error, I don't know.

It's cool that they are doing the test of it, glad we finally get to see a true review of it. May end up picking it up if they are good.

14. crew219

crew219 Birth of a Detailer

Here's how I had holograms appear on my paint.

I first used HD Uno with the UNO pad. Went about it in the normal way, using the zenith method. Refined further with a spray of water on the pad and went at it again. Once it was all finished, the defects were removed, but there was hazing on the surface that showed up as holograms under a LED light (after IPA wipedowns).

Further refinement with UNO and Poxypad was able to remove the holograms.

Later on, I washed the UNO pad and retried it with Menzerna SIP (my normal go-to polish for correction). SIP cut quicker with the UNOpad but finished down nicer after a spray of H2O on the pad. There was no hologramming present with the SIP + UNOpad, but a subsequent pass with 85RD improved the finish of the surface.

From the marketing material that HD presents, UNO is a one-pad one polish system. IMO that is not the case. It seems also contradictory that they mention using Poxypad and UNO to further refine the surface (makes it 1 polish, 2 pads).

While good results can be had with UNO+the two HD pads, the amount of time and finickyness of the system turned me off of it.

I do like the pads, just not the polish.

Dave

15. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Kevin ... I also noticed that the thread I started caused the challenge ... I think it's a great opportunity to test different products.

16. Tunch

Tunch Virgin Detailer

:whistle:"Thank you all for your discussion about HD UNO. I am not here to dispute your claims of holograms, but the reasons for holograms being created can be many. If anyone would like to use our product in a side-by-side challenge, 3D Products is open to the opportunity."

17. Darkstar752

That's what I was saying, that holograms can be caused by inexperience, too much pressure, etc. I never claimed it was a mediocre product, just cited the lack of true side-by-side comparisons and reviews. I'm glad you're stepping up to sponsor a test, I'm eagerly waiting for the results, if it's good than I'll definitely get it :applause2:

Just a request, that you include Menzerna Polishes in your test. Also, just record the working times of each polish, as in how long the detailer is correcting the paint with each polish.

18. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Well. I am an HD UNO user. The first bottle I ordered had the same issue as the other person. Didn't want to wipe off if I worked it in properly. I had to go over the panel immedietly otherwise it didn't want to come off.

However the finish it left was first class.

I have never ever used another polish that corrects like HD UNO with the pc/flex.

This was the first time I tried HD UNO. We couldn't finish the car in 1 day, so the front and rear bumpers are not swirl free. No wax either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

It had to be product residue. How are you going to get holograms with a da????:thumb::thumb:

20. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Looks great, what PC are you using? The new one or the older PC 7424?