Have you ever noticed this?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by kenny1775, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Has anyone ever noticed a kind of really light "spotting" in the clear when bringing back badly swirled paint? Not clear failure mind you , just a barely perceptible "thing" that you can only see under strong light if you were looking really hard. :shead:

2. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

I know what your talking about....it, sometimes it comes from polishing...make sure you do a 50/50 wipedown

3. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Thanks for your input Scott, does the 50/50 wipedown make that stuff disappear in your experience? Is it something in the polish? :shrug:

4. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Sometimes it does but make sure you break down the polish all the way

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Yes, you mostly see this on darker colors. Seems to very minute paint chips. If really want to see things in your paint go to a gas station at night under the lights and you will see all kind of paint defects that you have never seen in the daylight.

6. Scott's Mobile Detailing

This is also true about the paint chips

7. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

I think this is exactly what I'm talking about. I first noticed this stuff at night under the dealership parking lot lights, then another night under the supermarket parking lot lights with another car.

Flourescent lights in the ceiling can occasionally pick them out, but they're almost invisible in sunlight or under halogens.

How do you deal with this stuff Asphalt?

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Don't look at your car in those lights-lol. Seriously there is nothing you can do its in the paint. Only option is to re-paint but after the vehicle is driven around for a week Ibet you will see the samething again. We just have to live with it, just the debris in the air while driving that damages the paint that we can not see in normal lighting. The lights you mentioned above will hurt your feelings after you do a complete detail that looks 100% in the sunlight.

9. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

[​IMG]Why was I never told of this before???...

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Its funny you mentioned this, Jason and I were talking about this after he noticed it after a detail he did about a month ago.

11. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Lately I've been going straight to LSPs after the finishing polish (Ultrafina or Micro Polish) step. Do you think a glaze would work on something like this?

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No it is in the paint. Like I said there really isnt anything you can do about it. Its debris in the air from driving around and it takes the lighting you mentioned to really see it.

13. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I'm glad you guys are talking about this. I just noticed it over the weekend with a red truck I did. It was a Chevy S10 I'm not sure of the year but it was the last year for the S10. The clear was kinda sticky too so I thought it was my me being to hard on the clear coat. I can tell you one thing the clear was certainly hard on me. my back is killing me. It took 26 hours over 3 days Fri-Sat-Sun. So that why I'm probably sick now.

14. Strs90

Strs90 Birth of a Detailer

Any chance someone could take a pic? Or would it be to hard to capture?

15. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It will be very hard to capture.

16. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Yeah, I tried to show a coworker last night and he couldn't distinguish it from the metallic flake on both a black accord and a blue civic... even up close and in person it's hard to see. :detective:

17. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

I think Asphalt hit the nail on the head. It's like "pitting". This is very evident on the front "bonnet" of my black Porsche. When you look closely, you can see the minute specs, or pits. I've done a few other Porsches and they all have this too. As AR says, it's most likely from just "driving around"

I've noticed these specs in some of the C&Bs posted here and elsewhere.

18. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

If you are talking about pitting, then yes I am sure most people on here have seen it and have it on their vehicles. They look like little pinpoint specs/dots in the paint, most noticible on black and red.

19. gregk

gregk Virgin Detailer

Kenny-You just need the proper detailer to work at your dealership to get those out!:giggle:

I do know what you are talking about as my Miata has them, the Mini's do not!

I would just sell the car if I were you. I hope you don't spend many sleepless night worrying about those spots that your suv has and mine does not. I will try not to laugh at your SUV next time I see it!:p:

20. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

Hey... I wasn't even talking about my car [​IMG]

That's it, I'm going to have to spend the rest of the night looking up Mini jokes now [​IMG]