Handz 2.1 Kenne Bell Install *Lots of Pics*

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Handz, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I Know This is DetailingBliss.com, But i had a feeling Some users on here might enjoy a Little "Horsepower" in the AutoBliss Section.:mounty:

I honestly never thought I was gonna get a supercharger for my mustang. I kept seeing all these kits for centrifugal superchargers for years and always wanted to slap one on my mustang.... but i always thought they didnt look as clean, or I always heard of issues installing and wanted something that was clean.

.... Then the Tork Tech Kit came out.... I knew I had to have a positive displacement supercharger on my stang... So I began saving. I did many side jobs and things to gather the funds to begin supercharging my stang.

Well, after much research I decide the tork tech kit was WAY too much hassle of install and not being smog legal (since i live in CA). So I eventually purchased a FRPP SVO supercharger on the internet with intent of install in on my NPI Mustang motor.... but I knew that going with a non-intercooled kit was gonna be hassle with the CA heat So i sold the SVO Supercharger and swapped in a PI motor from a 2001 GT.

....Then I started thinking about a Kenne Bell....

Now that I had a PI motor, the possibilities opened up WAY more because I could run PI head positive displacement superchargers!!!!

Since 2006, I have always eyballed GDAWG’s set up on Stangnet.com. He got the 1.7 Kit and I was totally impressed with the results and the fit/finish.

Looky what just came in... - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Kenne Bell SuperCharger... she's finally done. - Mustang Forums at StangNet

This thread by BigBoy05 REALLY made me seal the deal on buying the Kenne Bell when i saw how clean the new 2.1 Big Bore kits are.... I knew I had to get one.

kenne bell install started today!

Kenne Bell discontinued the NPI manifold for their superchargers which means no 96-98 mustang could run a Kenne Bell without PI heads or a PI motor. Just my luck that I had swapped in a 2001 PI motor in my stang!!! Since Kenne bell was about 45 mins from my house, I drove there and asked some questions. I found out they have a everything for a 96-98 GT to run the 2.1 Big Bore EXCEPT the manifold. They had all the brackets, lines, hoses, and other goodies in stock. So, Kenne bell would sell me the 2.1 Big Bore for the PI motor with all the accessories, instructions, and other goodies for a 1998!!! This made it perfect for me, so after many phone calls with Kenne Bell and a few drives over to there headquarters I made the purchase of the bad boy!!!

I placed the order over the phone for will-call pick up. Kenne Bell let me pay when I picked up the package. It took Kenne Bell about 4 days to get the kit together since these kits are assembled made to order. They called me the day it was ready and I picked it up on a friday I had off work.

Kenne Bell informed me that I didnt need a fuel pump upgrade, but since i wanted something that would support more power in the future i decided to go with the biggest direct drop in fuel pump Ford offers, the Lincoln Aviator Fuel Pump. According to many internet threads, the Aviator pump flows 310lbs of fuel compared to the SVT Focus pump that flows 255lbs. I placed the order for the pump from Tousely Ford who sells OEM ford parts 10% over cost. Kenne Bell upgraded me to the 40amp Boost-a-Pump because the larger unit is need to support the Aviator Pump and how much power it draws.

The only modification done to the supercharger was to drill and tap a 3/8-18 NPT hole by the thermostat for the second coolant temp sensor since the 99-04 GT’s have only 1 coolant sensor. I took this to a shop up the street from my house that had the tap and they did it very quickly for me. Once this was done I was ready for install. I used GDAWG’s pictures of his 1.7 KB to determine the exact place the hole needed to be drilled.

Getting The Coolant Hole Drilled and Tapped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hole Completed

[​IMG]

2. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Now it was time to install the Aviator fuel pump. The Aviator pump is a direct drop in for 98-04 GTs... Luckily my car is a 98 so it drops right in!!! The Aviator pump comes as an assembly with all the wiring and stuff from the Lincoln so to install the pump in a mustang all you need to do is disassemble the unit and the remove the pump itself. Everything else is trash.

[​IMG]

The pump inside the unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part number barcode on the entire Lincoln Aviator Assembly

[​IMG]

I had a spare fuel bucket assembly from a 2001 GT so i took that unit apart and used the newer pump filter screen and rubber base support and assembled the Aviator pump to go in the mustang tank.

Assembled Aviator pump for 1998 Mustang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left=Stock 1998 Pump, Right=2004 Lincoln Aviator Pump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pump install was straight forward like the OEM manual stated. I didnt gets pics of the pump going in the tank because i didnt wanna get gas on my DSLR. Pump went in straight forward.

3. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Now To the Kenne Bell!!!!

Specs!!!

2001 4.6 PI Motor *Stock*
    FRPP 9mm Wires
    MSD Ignition Coils
    2004 Cobra Aluminum Radiator

Kenne Bell 2.1 Big Bore Twin Screw Intercooled Supercharger *9 PSI*
    Kenne Bell 160 T-Stat
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body
    Kenne Bell Big Air Intake Kit
    Lightning 90mm MAF
    40amp Boost-a-Pump
    Lincoln Aviator Fuel Pump
    NGK TR6 Spark Plugs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kenne Bell originally came with black tape covering the intake ports but since i removedthe tape to drill the coolant sensor hole, i recovered with 3M blue painters tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accufab 75mm Throttle Body. Quality is extremely high Quality. Amazing Piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kenne Bell Paperwork. The most detailed instructions ever for the ultimate supercharger kit!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

There's two "read this first!" I can't decide but honestly looks like a nice super charger, I would totally just blow up on the idea of installing such a complicated piece of hardware. I probably missed this but is it mounted, keep us updated on the performance and the new "feel"

5. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Removed the Hood from the car to make the install much easier.

[​IMG]

Fenders tape up and ready to work!!! Blue Painters tape makes the best fender covers for working!!! Saved my paint from many scratches.

[​IMG]

This is the step everyone said was the hardest part..... But it ended up being SUPER Easy. I think it was hard for most people because they didnt remove the hood. The hood being removed make life VERY easy!!! Coolant valley tube bolt on back of block.

[​IMG]

All prep’d and ready for the Twin Screw!!!

[​IMG]

Kenne Bell CAI Filter is HUGE. Shocked me when i saw it. I even wonder myself how it fit in the fender. It fills up the fender completely.

[​IMG]

Finally finished the install on Day 4. Took my time to make all the wires clean and solder all the wire extensions. I also spend alot of extra time cutting and routing all the wires for the cleanest install possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Yeah, 4 pages say "Read This First" lol. I think Kenne Bell is just being VERY certain that you read those papers before you start opening all the stuff.

It is mounted and running!!! Will make another update soon!!

7. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Nice clean install! Can't wait to see the time slips!

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Awesome work man! Looks sick I am sure your going to be addicted to hearing that wine! Post up the dyno #'s and a fly by vid. I Also took off my intake manifold to replace the gaskets on it an my valve covers when I replaced the timing chains, tensioners, guides, crank sprocket, along wiht many other parts. I wanted the GT to be in tip top shape since it was going to hit 100K.

I can say the hardest work I have ever done on my mustang was replacing my SLP LT header gaskets and bolts, since I am sure you know its suggested you take off the entire front suspension to install them and if you have to replace a gasket it is also suggested you do it. Well I wasn't about to do all that to replace gaskets, so I did it all by maneuvering my hands in extremely places, lifting the GT really high and buying certain 10mm wrenches and even going so far as to heating them up with a torch and bending them / grinding them to use specifically for the reinstallation of my SLP LT's. I can say I have never been so frustrated ever working on any vehicle as I was when I did that LOL. Oh and you will like the Accufab TB, I am running their TB and Plenum and it did make a difference for me even though I am not FI:)

Oh I PMed you back about Bodywrap man on MM not sure if you received my PM?

9. blacK20

blacK20 Birth of a Detailer

What are you running for engine management?

10. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Time for the Custom Dyno Tune!!! Thanks to Greg at Racer’s Edge Tuning, My car runs AMAZING. I let RET know that I drive the car ALOT of DD the vehicle so he gave me a very good street tune. Numbers were 407/420!!! Thats more than a stock 03/04 Cobra!!! I gotta go back and get the dyno sheet print out from the computer so i can host it as a JPEG.

[​IMG]

RESULTS: The car feels AMAZING. The blower has turned the car into a whole different animal. The instant torque off the line is just scary. I can start off in 2nd gear and do a full on burn-out lol. By the time you look at the boost gauge you are already well over 100 MPH. Its very scary fast. If you just press the gas in first gear too much you will spin the wheels instantly. Freeway pulls are incredible. Overtaking people is a blast lol.

The drivability is excellent. You can dive the car around all day without seeing any boost. Its like driving a regular car till you get on the loud pedal. The bypass valve makes crazy sounds as it opens under normal driving. sounds like a jet. I am honestly so impressed with the quality and the power of this kit. Kenne Bell Twin Screw FTMFW.

I am so Very glad I didnt go with the procharger, because the Kenne Bell is the best thing I have ever bought for my car!!

Engine Pics!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a Few Exterior Pics!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. durabio

durabio Birth of a Detailer

congrats man, looks super clean, and that filter cone was HUGE

12. lawcan2

lawcan2 Virgin Detailer

Nice upgrade.Some iforged ccw hre type wheels would finish off the car nicely..

13. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

That is BEAUTIFUL, I had a 00 GT I did the 4v swap before it got popular. I was on the Corral, salstang00. I miss my car so much, one day I will have a replacement. Sorry for rambling. Great work on the car it looks great the KB is a sweeeet set up

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Super clean install, congrats!

15. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Kenne Bell setup looks clean and nice. Congrats and enjoy Handz! Watch out for CHP on the freeways!! lol