Griot's Steamer. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by slanguage, Apr 9, 2011.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Griot's now has a steamer. The price is right for me.
    Portable Steam Cleaner - Detailing Tools - Tools - Griot's Garage

Looks like a nice little machine. I dfon't detail for a living, so this won't get used every weekend or anything like that.

Was wondering if yo guys think it might be worth the money, or is it a hunk of junk?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Roger.

2. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

What's going on Rog? I saw this on their catalog a few weeks ago. The price seems ok if it's a step above the wagner cheap steamer. Ebay also has a steamer that looks almost identical (might be a cheap replica). The griots one is Italian made. Italian steamers tend to be excellent and Griots doesn't sell crappy stuff.
    I

3. slanguage

Yeah. I'm doing ok.

I think I'm gonna just order it. They do sell some good stuff like you said.
    Don't they have like a satisfaction guarantee or something?

4. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

hey check out ebay ... they got the same unit for the same price, but with extra attachments. It's called the Vapamore

5. slanguage

ok. might order that one.

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

let me know if you get one roger. if you do, i have to see it in action, cause that price isnt so bad on the unit.

7. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

8. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I'd love to hear real reviews about this thing. I want to get a steam cleaner but spending over $1000 is a little out of my price range at the moment.

9. klenj

klenj Virgin Detailer

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Found a video [video=youtube;ixJnF5loK68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJnF5loK68&feature=player_embedded[/video]

11. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

That thing is awesome. Really thinking about getting one now...

12. Schleprock

Schleprock Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I wonder what kind of working time you get out of the 2 cups of water and if you have to let it cool before refilling it. My wife bought one of the shark steamers years ago thinking it would be good for the bathroom but the working cycle was just a pain in the butt and she took it back.

13. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

The McCollough holds 6 cups of water and IME is generally good for 45 minutes to an hour or more. Just a WAG but I'd think the Vapamore would be good for about 1/3 of that time since it holds 1/3 the water.

You betcha you need to let it cool before opening the fill opening! Just like opening a boiling radiator if you don't. I've used a towel to crack the cap on the McCollough just enough to purge the steam but trying to pour water in before it cools somewhat results in instant steam when the water hits inside and then you can't see where you're trying to pour.

TL

14. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

How are these things on carpets and cloth seats? Excuse my ignorance but I have never used one nor read too much about them.

15. Jordon

Jordon Two Bucket System Washer

After watching that video, I want one :)

Seems great!. The 2 cups seem that it wouldn't last too long, but then again, the bigger the reservoir, the heavier the unit is as well. I think for every now and then detailing cars and around the house it's very nice.

16. Schleprock

Schleprock Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thank you for the information it was exactly the help i needed to make a decision.

17. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Anxiously waiting for the 1st review.

18. dave_zok

dave_zok DB Forum Supporter

bump for anyone with a review, as i want one now.

19. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

A really nice review would be appreciated. If we wait too long I may have the first one though. I've been looking around on ebay lately.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

20. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i heard from roger that he has used the system recently. not sure if he is planning on doing a review or anything.