Given all the hype...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by rfinkle2, Jan 25, 2011.

1. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

OK, this is a little off topic, but I'm the proud owner of a PC, PCXP, Cyclo and DeWalt rotary. Due to some intense pain in my finger joints (old age and artie-ritus) I prefer to use the Cyclo or rotary as much as I can, especially in winter. So, I see some kind of suede bonnets for the Cyclo - I thnk it was at TOL. I'm thinking about trying them, I mean, cheap enough and might be a sweet way to get a final polish worked in. Any thoughts on this??

2. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

It is statements like this............ that put you in the A**hat category, it is now time to S2.

3. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

June Bug,

Actually, your post is right on the thread's title topic. The remainder of the thread has taken a turn.

With that being said...

You can also get 4" bonnets in short nap microfiber (the longer the nap, the more the cut) OR
    give the suede bonnets a try. They are great for finish polishing.

regards

4. Grizzman

Grizzman Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You make me laugh rfinkle2.

5. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Is it because of the vibrations? I wrapped my handle and butt of my PC with race bike handle bar tape and then electrical tape. Knocked the vibes down a good amount. You could use some foam padding.

6. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Yes sir - it's the vibrations. I'm hitting 52 this year and my hands get a bit painful, especially in cold weather. I lucked out this weekend, temps were in the 50's and my detail turned into just a wash, CLAY!, and wash - wax. 3 year old Tahoe, never been touched except for the touchless car wash. But, there was no water spots, swirls, scratches or bug etching.

I'll have to look into your suggestions, I'd rather buy some gloves and tape than more presciption meds.

Thanks!

7. rfinkle2

Junebug,

Fortunately, I do not have arthritis, but find the pc much more comfortable without the handle (putting my palm on the back of the machine). using it this way lets you put most of the pressure on your palm, and keeps you from having to wrap your fingers around (and wrestle) the handle.

if u haven't already tried it, hopefully it will help.

the cyclo is the only polisher i don't have any experiece with, but have always had my eye on it. someday, i'm sure i'll succumb to my curiosity and pick 1 up.

8. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Whenever a new system comes out, I look at it with the possibility that it COULD revolutionize polishing (although I normally wait until it is established in the industry before jumping in to try it.) I mean, remember the old timers who only had the twisted wool and white foam pads that came with the Makita? And they were able to use just those tools to achieve a flawless finish (by manipulating and modifying polishes.) I wonder if there were any skeptics when pads of different density were introduced to the market... and I'm sure the companies who first developed that technology were quite secretive as well with the beta testers. That's just smart business sense when you are attempting something new. Why pay all the money to R&D and have someone else just rip off the idea?

That being said, I'll probably try the mf bonnet over a regular polishing pad just for shits and gigs.

9. rfinkle2

agreed...on all points.^

for those of you looking @ this thread... i sent auto concierge the following PM.

auto concierge,

although we disagree on my intentions for the title and content of a thread, I believe that both you and I, would likely be friends in the real world.

I admire your tenacity, your work, your work area , and hell, we share the same passion.

That passion, for cars and making them look their best is why I come here. In the real world, when you and I can accurately interpret each other's inflection and body language, I'm pretty sure we could agree to disagree.

So, I genuinely want anyone (especially you), to take that thread for what it is, a discussion (including speculation on my part) concerning the passion for auto detailing, and more specifically, polishing.

I completely understand the points you made and why you made them. I respect your opinion and want you to know that your points are not only well taken, I value them.

-Rob

10. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Yeah, I tossed the PC handle after using it the first time. It still buzzes a bit too much plus holding on with my kung fu grip wears on me after a few. If you get a Cyclo, there is a new model after all these years that has a dial for speed control. I have the old version and like it very much.

Nice PM to AC