Getting 7424 with other stuff-opinions?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by ericeng2, Sep 10, 2011.

1. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

You can go over the rest of the car with PF, that will help remove whatever defects you might have. But if it is not too bad I would leave it, up to you. As for the headlights you can use PF again on those.

2. ericeng2

ericeng2 Two Bucket System Washer

What kind of pad? And I'm guessing speed on the PC would be the standard 5 setting?

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

4" Uber Green. And I normally start on a lower speed then work my way up.

4. ericeng2

if i'm using a 5.5 inch pad, should i just lower the speed?

5. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

5.5" pad would work well too, just 4" is a lot easier for headlights. Either way it'll work.

6. ericeng2

for some reason, i remember posting something about this, but i can't seem to find it.. the question is

How would Power Lock with 1Z Glanz over it be?

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

pointless, either or........ powerlock with traditional Caranuba wax; or glanz by itself.

8. ericeng2

Ok, so I guess 845 it is?

Btw, I just finished buying 2 16oz bottles of CG new car scent and stripper scent.
    Not exactly sure what to expect with either, but I've read good things about the new car scent and great things about the stripper scent.

Though I am still extremely confused as to what stripper scent is supposed to smell like...

So, I'm more or less nearing the end of making my list is this is what I have so far:

PC 7424XP
    2 Lake Country Orange Pads
    2 LC Green Pads
    2 LC Blue Pads
    1 LC Black Pad - Hi-Gloss - All 7 pads are 5.5" pads
    Dual Action Hook and Loop Backing Plate 5"
    16 oz bottles of Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish, Super Finish, Power Lock
    16 oz bottle of Collinite #845
    8 oz bottle of Meguiar's #105

Do I need anything else? Pad cleaning supplies? Any other cleaning supplies? I guess, assume I have absolutely nothing. If something is mentioned that I already do have, I'll just mention it.

Thank you all very much!

9. Kilo6_one

go pick up some Zeps from home depot and use it to clean your pads.

10. ericeng2

Zeps? Also, do I need any brushes?

btw. I just canceled the order for the scents. I did a little more digging and it seems that the spray do not last long at all and may not be worth it. So I will be waiting to read a few more reviews before I do anything again.

11. Kilo6_one

Get some fabreeze LOL.

Zeps is a APC, you will need it to clean the polishing pads when you are done, doubt you will need any brushes, I would wash your car with Dawn dish soap before you start polishing, and even when you are done to clean off any residual oils.

12. ericeng2

dish soap? I thought that was something horrible to do!

What exactly is the process of everything though? wash to polish to wax
    so far I have it as

wash (using car wash)
    dry
    claybar
    spray down with 70% rubbing alcohol and wipe down
    Use compound
    Use polish
    wash again???? (with car wash is what i'm thinking)
    apply sealant
    apply wax after sealant cures
    done

- soak pads in hot water
    - apply Zeps to pads
    - massage pads to get residues out
    - rinse pads
    - air dry pads

13. Kilo6_one

dish soap is not something you would use on a daily basis, but it is recommended 1) to strip old wax or sealant 2) remove grease etc. Or you can presoak with Zeps or optimum powerclean at a 5:1 or 4:1 ratio, but I stopped doing that, I kill two birds with one stone and eliminate the APC presoak.

I foam the car with Dawn, APC and let it dwell for about 5 minutes then rinse, then wash with two bucket method. By then the car is stripped and ready to polish, after polishing I wipe down with IPA, then apply sealant or wax....

Everyone is different, but the outcome is the same.

Also when you clay bar, you can use diluted dawn as a clay lubricant, that removes any doubt that the car is stripped. Its also cost effective.

Once done polishing, honestly (some people may not do it this way) I will re foam the car with Dawn and use the pressure washer to clean up any dust etc.

then apply LSP.

14. ericeng2

I don't have a foamer, what is the next best thing? Just plain old washing using a mit? and 2 bucket system?
    Also, should I not use standard car wash for something like this? They usually have some wax in them so I guess washing it with car wash won't help the stripping process.

What exactly do APC and IPA stand for?

15. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

APC = All Purpose Cleaner
    IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol

If you do not own a foam gun or cannon that is fine. Although in the future it will help reduce your chance of marring while washing. What car wash do you have right now?

16. Kilo6_one

you can always presoak with a standard spray bottle....... either with dilute dawn, or APC. Either one will get the job done.

You can do it this way too, wash with standard shampoo two bucket method, then clay the car with Diluted Dawn. That is what I did before getting a foam gun...... works perfect! its all about economy of motion, do more with less steps

17. ericeng2

ok, well i guess washing with dawn and claybarring with dawn works the same too (and probably cheaper). I believe my car wash is Turtle wax with carnuba wax in it.

I'll just do the dawn thing.

18. Kilo6_one

yeah, dont use the turtlewax car wash if it has wax in it........ also a good off the shelf shampoo is Meguiars gold class or NXT shampoo.

19. ericeng2

Alright. So I contacted Phil last night about all this stuff and he recommended a 7424 package with 8 pads (pretty much all the pads i planned to get plus 1 extra black one) and replaced the m105, power finish and power gloss with Meg's D300 and microfiber cutting pads.

Other than that, I'm still going with pretty much everything here. Power lock + 845 for the finish

I may pick up a bottle of power finish or power gloss later though, to work on my family's cars.

So I just finished putting in my order to phil. now its the waiting game!

Again, thank you for all your help.

20. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I'm surprised that 10 seconds after you clicked the button, someone didn't ring your doorbell and hand the package to you. LOL.

Phil's customer service and shipping is ridiculously good.