Garage lighting review...

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by The Driver, Sep 2, 2012.

1. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

Imo the heat an power consumption are what do it for me. 4 LED par 38 floods are only consuming about 80 watts an generating almost 5k lumens with a CRI above 93 and no heat. There is no other light source that can match it IMO. However my newest lights are really one of a kind.

Here's pictures of the final setup, with a vid.

Lighting setup V2 - YouTube

Main overhead
    [​IMG]

Just clearing, wireless remote with 3 prong.
    [​IMG]

switch mounted
    [​IMG]

Lighting in garage naturally... Car is fully polished btw. This was my most recent detail.

9am
    [​IMG]

11:30pm at night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Single stage = scary
    [​IMG]

2. The Driver

Did my HW an thought what if I eliminated the setup an just brought the light to me.... :D I'm still keeping my setup but... this will elimate alot of the use. I don't want 900 watts cranking all day an this is virtually free to run.

e46b3f322e103981e18abf150553447f.jpg

8156d822752033dbfd05466d15b732b2.jpg

700 lumens, Should be around 5k color an the CRI should be high. I'm hoping strapping this to my head will really give me a great close view as I'm detailing. I'm going to try detailing in the dark. I've seen it a couple of times, just have to be very mythodical about your work really.

3. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

To solve my basic light issues, I think I will buy some 8 ft (4 4-ft bulbs) light box and place on floor with some prop to angle them. I want to see the lower sides better.

4. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

What do you guys think about an array of 12 LED floods similar to Paul Dalton's (although he uses MH), 4 down each side of the car, 2 each on the front and back. The lights I am looking at put out 484 lumens, and my ceiling is 8'. The only concern I have is that the light will have dissipated by the time it hits the panel but that is a small concern. The next light up puts out 2200 lumens but costs over 2x as much, so I would prefer to stay with the 10w lights.

5. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

6. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Since this LED runs on 12V DC what transfomer will you be using?

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

They also make a 100-240v input, will probably use that instead of the 12v dc

8. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

How high are your ceilings?

9. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Average height, maybe 10 feet, single car garage. I would get at least 700 lumens for an LED flood light, I'm pretty happy with the 1200 lumen ones though. The best light is still my Fenix flashlight at 825 lumens, it's a narrow beam so the light is much more concentrated and seems much brighter than the 1200 lumens.

10. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for the input. I plan on creating a portable work light from one of these LED floods that have at least 2000 lumens. Plus I do have a fenix for inspection tasks. I am hoping that 12-484 lumen lights will be OK for general paint correction lighting. That will be almost 6k lumens. With 12, they should spread the light out nicely instead of relying on a smaller amount of higher lumen, more expensive lights.

11. The Driver

Imo if you plan on making a work light just use 4 par 30's from the ecosmart I use. 4 of those is 4400 lumens total, extremely high CRI and almost no heat... Not to mention light cutting ability into the paint would be amazing.

12. The Driver

13. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

14. The Driver

15. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great thread.

16. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Can i get some more information about that wireless switch please.

17. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

mrgolfrider likes this.
  18. mrgolfrider

So do they work well because some reviews on Amazon make them out to be very shady

19. The Driver

I've had no issues with mine, it's been over a year an half now.

20. mrgolfrider

I cannot find the one I just purchased from Menards on their website but it is a wireless outlet. One of the outlets is static so it will always be on and the other one is controlled from the wireless remote. Thanks for the idea Driver!

The Driver likes this.