First wax you ever used?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Chas, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Turtle Wax Paste. I remember helping my mom wax her old Dodge. I hated that wax, but have very fond memories waxing my mom's cars.:applause2:

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I remember helping my grand-dad clean up his van. We only took this van on road trips. So it only got washed maybe 2 times a year at the most. He even used real chammy's to dry the tank. Anyway back to topic. He always used Kit car wax liquid. Thats my first experience with wax. I think I went the TW hard shell route. I do remember the first time I ever used mothers cleaner wax n the big red can. I applied that stuff so thick. I had no idea. Lesson learned though. I didnt use that stuff anymore. It was a monster to get off. That was back in say 1993. I had a can that I got in a trade about 2 years ago. Did a hood of a car and thought, hmmm maybe a little thinner. Well it turned out to be too much agian!! I gave that stuff away. I even did the Zymol/TW cleaner wax. That stuff was not all that great. Then we didnt have a clue what ''cleaner" wax meant.

Great topic btw!

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

not my 1st wax, but i like it. topoftheline.com sells it. not sure if anyone else does.

4. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

Probably Turtle Paste Wax. I think I get my detailing obsession from both of my parents as they too take great care of their vehicles. We used to have seasonal washing and waxing of their vehicles and I tend to think the wax of choice at that time was Turtle Wax.

5. jaredpointer

jaredpointer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Rain Dance paste wax. The can was older than I was - I was probably about 8 or 9 years old at the time. Used it on my mom's early-to-mid eighties Monte Carlo.

6. muffin422

muffin422 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

mothers cleaner wax

:shrug:

7. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Wow these are a lot of neat responses, looks like this thread was a success! Now that I am thinking about it the first wax I ever used was turtle wax spray wax, it was the first one my dad showed me how to use and the first time I watched him wax his car.

8. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Interesting responses :)

I almost bought turtle wax for my first wax based on name and reputation(as an average consumer) but instead I bought Eagle1 wax-as-u-dry. Great product, still use it sometimes.

9. memnuts

memnuts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I remember helping my father wash and wax his 1977 caprice classic. We used an ancient at the time can of Simonize paste wax with an old t-shirt. It was so hard to remove my little arms hurt when we were done. He still has the can too.

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

funny that you mentioned this wax 'cause I did a mustang a few weeks ago that had an LSP that was a PITA to remove. When I asked the owner what kinda wax he used he mentioned this one. I haven't seen it in stores in a while.

11. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Wonder if that's a good thing about Rain Dance paste.

12. jaredpointer

jaredpointer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good thing that it's not in stores - yeah. It's a good thing. Haha. Very hard to use, at least from what I can remember.

EDIT - after looking around on Google, you can still get it at Ace hardware, and some online places. According to the Ace site, it is manufactured by Cyclo Industries.

13. E328xi

E328xi Virgin Detailer

Meg's Gold Class...Still have about half the bottle, bought about 7 years ago when I was in H.S. Anyone want to trade? :pye:

I've since moved on to CG's 5050... This weekend I'm trying DoDo Purple Haze from the 30ml sample. I'm going to do a comparison on my trunk, 1/2 5050 and 1/2 Purple haze!

14. lbls1

lbls1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

My first wax(es) were Gliptone's Carnauba paste Wax (it was really a cleaner wax), and the classic "Simoniz" (the one you could not leave on your car long) in the yellow tin can.

15. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax.

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I tried some Zymol about 15 years ago and hated it - hazed like crazy. Skip ahead 13 years. Tried P21S ( blue lid ) and loved it. Still one of my favs.

17. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

My first wax was Liquid Glass. I thought it was so cool in the tin container (like old lighter fluid containers) and loved that pic of the old Vette on it. I remember I was probably 16 years old and my Dad thought I had lost my mind for paying like $12 for some wax. Man glad he's never asked how much some of my waxes cost nowadays! LOL!

18. richy

richy Guest

What a cool thread! I go back into the late 70's and had Blue Coral which was for sale at GM dealerships which my father was a Pontiac Buick dealer at the time. I remember a chrome polish that GM re-branded that was liquid and was in a white bottle..pretty good stuff at the time IIRC.