First polishing experience - Black swirled car

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Xcessiv, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Peugeot

Peugeot Birth of a Detailer

I didn't see Grit Guards in that list. Make SURE you get two. I've had real sheepskins and prefer the Schmitt. As far as a clay lube, get something good (Adams, Griots) that sells by the gallon.

2. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

You may hate yourself now, but get the Flex 3401. It's very user friendly and really is the best mid-way product to get. Once you realize that you'll be detailing cars for money and need the extra cutting power, speed, etc. the Flex will be your best friend.

Secondly, Chris is an amazing guy, he will work with you on anything you need.

3. Xcessiv

Xcessiv Birth of a Detailer

After reading about the Flex, I'll order it! :worship2:

1) Should I change anything in my order? Less aggressive polishes? Other pads?
    2) Approx. how many polishing jobs can I do with 32oz bottles of each polish?
    3) I guess the Sonus pads won't work with the Flex? Too small?

4. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Two grit guards are best! Gives me extra security. I put two in the rinse bucket. I wish grit guard already designed a tall one, then there's no need to buy two.

5. Xcessiv

Here's the final decision. Will I need anything else? Will I get a good finish with this selection? Is pad lubricant necessary?

1x Flex 3401
    2x Grit Guard Bucket Insert
    1x Riccardo Clay Lubricant
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Blue
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Orange
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" White
    10x Tornado Buffing Towel
    2x 100% Sheepskin Mitt
    1x Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Wash
    2x Snappy Clean Foam Pad Cleaner
    1x Trim Tape

1x Riccardo Clay
    1x Menzerna SIP
    1x Menzerna Nano
    1x Poorboy's EX-P
    1x Poorboy's Natty Blue

Big total: VERY EXPENSIVE :( :( :(

6. Xcessiv

Last decision: Wolfgang 3.0 polishes or Menzerna polishes? Budget wise Wolfgan seems a bit better.

7. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

I think you will get good results with the products you have there. So much is personal preference however. It looks very good and yes expensive.
    You might recall I was the one that suggested the UDM to you and you said no because of the reliability problems with it. Well thought you would like to know that I ordered a Flex yesterday cause my UDM started to act up. You were right! I'll get the UDM fixed under warranty and still use it for certain application.
    The Sonus pads are OK on the Flex as it takes 6" pads and I checked that with Chris to be sure. I like the Sonus pads.
    As per a pad lubricant, you can use a spritz or 2 of water. I have found I prefer a spritz of Meg's UQD and use it as needed while going through the polishing process much as Dave KG has described elsewhere.
    Hope this is of some help.
    G
    PS have not used wolfgang polishes but have some of there other products and happy with them. Optimum is less expensive also and have used them but I prefer the Menz polishes over the Optimum. I don't think you can go wrong with Menz but there is a learning curve with all of them.

8. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

Everything looks good but I would replace the Poorboys EX-P with another sealant. I got extremely poor durability out of it. Duragloss 105 or even Optimum Opti-seal(OS has durability to me anyway less than DG 105 but its very easy to apply) are good.

9. Xcessiv

Too late about EX-P, I ordered everything right before your comment. :shakehead:

10. richy

richy Guest

Chris is so busy that I would p.m. and email his work address and I'll bet you'll be able to change the order.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

wow that's quite the order :druling: :druling:

That should hold you over for a wile too, heck your going to run out of vehicles to detail...not unless you have fleet of personal vehicles you have to detail.

To me that looks like a great order, I've never used Poorboy's EX-P and Poorboy's Natty Blue so I can't coment on them but the rest of the stuff is good :thumb:

Look forward to your future posts :peace:

12. Xcessiv

eshine don't carry the 105!

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh don't you worry Xcessiv Chris will get it for you, trust me he'll get it for you :thumb:

14. Xcessiv

Thanks Nica. :)

Yes, that's quite THE order hehehe. I want this to last years (both products and the Flex), because I know I'll own sports cars for a long time hehehe.

I've just sent an email to Chris.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Chris is great to deal with, what ever you need/want he will get for you...actually all the forum sponsors here are great to deal with. They all go out of there way to help members out :thumb:

That's the beauty of detailing, it's something you can do for the rest of your life...I consider it to be a way of living. Who doesn’t want there vehicles looking like new or better :confused:

You've got great products there, you'll have fun with them :thumb:

16. eShine

eShine Guest

This is odd. I had a big response to this thread, hit reply, the hour glass started turning and my reply isn’t here! Glad Yan emailed us! EX-P isn't as durable as lets say Klasse but really for guys like us durability is overrated. Who wants a sealant that lasts 9 months when we can't help but re-apply every week anyway! Another favorite sealant of mine although not so popular on forums is Wolfgang, easy to use, looks great and lasts a few months.

17. Xcessiv

Thanks Chris for your help and very fast processing. Wow! Ordered a huge list on Friday and everything was sent this morning. Thumb up.

Here are two comments that I received on 2 other forums and that kind of worry me:

18. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

Just wondering what ever happend? Did you end up getting them out?

19. Xcessiv

Yes, the results were pretty impressive for a first experience!

Day 1:
    I did my first test tonight on a small area... WOW, the Flex really rockz. :worship2:

1) Clay. I'm not too convinced of this step, the paint felt the same before and after. I'm not sure if I did it properly.
    2) SIP. I started with the white pad at speed 4.5. The results weren't very good, still 30% scratches remaining.
    3) SIP try #2. I used the orange pad at speed 6, with a bit more polish. WOW! 0% scratch remaining.
    4) Nano polish. I used the white pad at speed 6 with a decent amount of polish. It came out really nice.

Here's the result before the sealant and the wax:
    [​IMG]

Day 2:
    Final result...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not 100% satisfied yet. Still some scratches remaining on some areas. I'll have to give M95 a try with foamed wool pad.

20. fobe46

fobe46 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Wow! congrats on the finish! car looks amazing! :thumbsup: