First detail questions

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Celtic Bob, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Celtic Bob

Celtic Bob Two Bucket System Washer

Thanks for all the information everyone. I bought the car Friday night and got back home last night. The car does have swirls on it unfortunately. :( Now I have the fun task of removing them and getting the car all sealed, polished and shined up.
    b.

Stokdgs: I am in NL,Canada. There is no professional detailer where I live.

2. Celtic Bob

3. Celtic Bob

Here are 2 photo's I just took of the car's hood and rear quarter panel.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

4. Celtic Bob

Double Post again. :(

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Too dirty Bob. Please repost after a wash.

6. Celtic Bob

That was the best I could get with the amount of salt on the car. I am hoping it will warm up today to above freezing so I can at least rinse it off or run it through the touchless. It is -10C here right now.

7. Celtic Bob

Just ran it through the touchless and it is worse than I thought.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks like minor swirling Bob. I'd suggest Menzerna FG400 on a green or orange Buff and Shine or LC pad. It will leave a nice finish as well. You can follow up with Menz 85RD (SF4500) if you want to amp up the gloss a bit more.

9. Celtic Bob

Thanks.
    I will add that to my order.

10. Celtic Bob

The Griot's Polisher and the LC Backing plate has been ordered. Next month I will get the pads and compounds/cleaners/polishes.

11. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I just got one of those for Christmas, as well as some polishes. I haven't used it on anything but a scrap panel yet but I have to say that I love it and that it's been really easy to use.

12. Celtic Bob

The Griot's arrived along with the 5" LC Backing Plate. :)
    Now to get the pads and polish (and to figure out how to swap out the plates). :)

13. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Hello Bob -

Glad you received your Random Orbital machine.

I dont have that machine but there should be included with yours, an Allen wrench or another type of wrench to use to remove the backing plate and install the smaller one.
    Just look at for a second, and you will see how it works.
    On the Porter Cable machines, they include a flat wrench that goes behind the backing plate to hold a large nut so you can hold the backing plate and turn it counter clockwise to remove it.

Other machines use a type of screw or allen head bolt in the center that unscrews and off comes the plate!

Good luck !
    Dan F

14. Celtic Bob

Exactly what it was. It was early and I was on coffee #1 when I posted. :)
    Thanks
    b

15. Celtic Bob

Just a quick post to show the car as it looks right now and to ask what is a good cleaner/polish for the chrome tailpipes? I am waiting on a couple of items to get back In Stock before I make my next order.
    Thanks
    b.

IMG_0019.JPG

16. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Try optimum polish or adam's metal polish 1 & 2 for the tailpipes.

17. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Hey Bob -

Yeah, she is getting a little dirty but it will all come off and she will be beautiful again !

I have had great success with a product in a tube called Wenol Metal Polish with Surface Protection. There are 2 flavors, blue box and red box. I use the red box. It is made in Germany.
    You can even find it on Amazon.com
    It will turn a cloth black, so you want to use a cloth like a shop rag to apply and then a nicer towel to remove. Tail pipes are always dirty, so dont use your best towels here. Just clean ones and keep rotating to clean surfaces so you dont scratch the finish.

Dan F

18. Celtic Bob

Thanks Dan
    I was on dirt road yesterday and again today which is why it is in such a mess. I went to hose it off but the water in the hose is frozen solid.

19. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Bob -

Glad to help !
    Yeah, know about the frozen hose even here in the Pacific Northwest. I have to either connect to the laundry tub and get warm water or directly to the hot water heater for a minute or 2 to get the hose unfrozen.
    Better still, to not have to work outside all winter, eh? :)
    Come Spring, let's see about getting your baby all polished to clear and then putting Opticoat or something on her. This product for sure, really works for my Black Grand Cherokee..
    Dan F

20. Celtic Bob

I just found a can of Never Dull in my garage. Would that be OK for the tailpipes? I used it on the chrome bumpers of my old VW.

2 Orange pads, 2 White pads, FG400 and CG's Wheel Guard all ready to go. Is that all I need along with with what I already own to get me through for now?