Finally got the hang of M105!!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Dust2Glory, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Yes please Dan. Show us how to use M105 with Wool the "correct" way. I'm sure you've mastered many things in life at the ripe age of 20.

I mean it though, show us. I have no experience with 105 really.

2. Mindflux

The priming of the pad more times than not is simply to load the pad up to prevent all of your polish from being absorbed into the pad (ie priming the pad with polish)! If you are using the QD to add work time I guess your statement could be construed correct.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Look through my posts about how to use 105, theres lots of them. That should be all you need.

4. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Using something the "correct" way is subjective. The "correct" way to some maybe per the bottle instructions verbatim while to others the "correct" way maybe just getting favorable results with whatever means to and end you chose. To me if the shit's working for you and your happy with your plan of action then by all means stick with it.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat."

5. D&D Auto Detailing

I agree with you. But just because it works doesnt necessarily mean its the most effective way and theres no room for improvement. Theres probably a better way to do it which is why you need to keep experimenting with different techniques. Todd and Ryan are great examples of this. They're constantly trying new products, techniques, methods, etc. THATS why they are some of the best out there.

I understand Dust has found a way to make it "work" for him. But I believe theres more room for improvement and Im just trying to help. If other people dont appreciate that, then thats fine. But dont try to call me out for trying to help the guy.

My post wasnt intended to call Dust out and say he sucks or anything. What would be the purpose of calling out some guy on the internet who lives 1,000+ miles away from me?

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I know my statement is correct, thats why I said it. I wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing contest or give Dust a hard time. My feeling on it was that it wasn't mastered, but he is getting there, and like I said above if dust switched to a wool type pad he wouldn't need any of the aides he is using. Just to clear it up Meguiars has said this compound is made to be used with wool. If someone new to detailing starts reading incorrect info how are they going to learn to do it right. There is mis-information and short cuts on here, not as much as other forums, so we are suppose to be better than that ,so lets try to do things without short cuts. The few people that didn't like what was said on here, lets be honest you really haven't brought anything to this form as far as help or knowledge. I myself maybe harsh at times but if you want correct info or help I have no problem providing that. I apoligize to Dust for this slight rant but some of you guys need to learn how to do this before commenting on what people post on threads.

7. Mindflux

Well when you don't go into a detailed explanation or alternative theories on why you think he's doing it wrong what do you expect? I told you the reason many folks use QD on their pad is simply to prime it so your first bit of polish isn't simply soaked into it. He's using OPP to give him a longer work time. That doesn't make his way WRONG, it makes it HIS WAY. Many of the techniques some folks have adopted over the years are SOMEONE ELSES WAY. It's not the "right" way, it's "their" way.

If you think your brand of half-explanations and half-truths is an asset to any forum then I don't think you have room to judge what I (or anyone else) says or does on here or any other forum we participate on.

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

For what it is worth the 1st time I tried M105 it was with foam and I had a tough time... after that I enlisted the help of Asphalt and I had much better luck...

Here is my method that I posted on a review I did of M105

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I know people like to add things to thier polishes to get them to "work" for them sometimes but like AR has said I really don't think when Meguiars came up with 105 that they intended for you to run out and buy the competitors product to mix with it to get it to work. I too had a real hard time getting M105 to work for me but I kept asking the guys that were having success with it to critique my process as I was sure it was me and not the polish. Well I kept practicing and using the advice they gave me and you know what I got it. It took a while but I can now use M105 with ease and get the results I wanted and I don't have to add anything to it.

Now that being said I am sure someone will ask if I ever add a product to a polish and that answer would be yes. I have added Opt. to Menz. IP before but that wasn't to get the IP to work. It worked great all on its own and corrected very well. I only did it to cut down on the dusting not to get the product to work. And I have added Menz. 106ff to DG 501 before but that wansn't to try and get 501 to work I was trying to see if I could make 501 do something its not intended to do and correct a little bit. So if you are adding something to a polish or product to get it to do something the manufacturer didn't intend for it to then I think thats great but if you are using something else to just get it to work then if the product is a proven product (like M105) then a refinement in the process is probably all you needed. Also if you are adding something to it to get it "to work" then you didn't get the product to "work" you got a by product that "you" could work.

10. Mindflux

We also have to assume that M105 since being their professional line ultimately means:

You are a body shop, working most of the time in a controlled environment out of direct sunlight in temperatures under 90 degrees.

Dust2Glory and I are both in Texas which often times means we are working in 98+ degree weather. I myself work outside under a canopy if there is no other option. While I'm out of direct sunlight the panels are often times more than warm to the touch which is going to cause just about ANY compound to flash. Adding working time so that you/I/whoever can work as you stated may be par for the course for the environment we are working in.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

There are no half truths to any of my posts, just ask JL, Deep Gloss on who has helped them and everyone seems to like their work. Not saying it was totally all me but I helped to get them started with a routine and they went with what I normally do. So Mindflux what do you need me to teach you, since you haven't given any helpful advice on here. I have been doing this for over 20 years beta tested 3m foam pads before they hit the market in the late 80's for 3m and some of there polishes. Plus all the help/info/advice I have given on any post is correct or I would not even post about said subject. If I do not know a product I will not offer any type of advice on that thread, but if it something that I know and feel someone is using it wrong or needs help I will say something to help out.

12. Mindflux

I'm glad you've been doing this long. I'm glad you 'beta tested' foam pads and whatever else. Advancement of our craft couldn't happen without it.

If you'd kindly answer how to keep M105 from flashing in 100 degree weather with panels that are more than warm to the touch without additional lubricity? I'd love to hear your suggestions. I think that's part of D2G's problem... assuming that he's not working inside of a controlled environment.

P.S Who are you to decide what is helpful? Helpful to a 20 year veteran is entirely different than helpful to someone with less time under their belt. I've got about 10 years myself.

13. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I won't dispute any of that but you are using a by product that as I said works for you and its not that you figured out how to work the product. Most high end products especially polishes are designed for controlled environments but people still use them they way they were intended or if they don't work they switch, ie. Menzerna acting up and switching to a product like 3M.

There just needs to be careful consideration as to what is posted on using products when you deviate from the process that the manufacturer suggests and that so many others have been able to be successful with. If a product needs a lot of practice to master but constant short cuts are posted then what do you think someone new to the business would take if the first time they used it (and their process wasn't good) it acted up? They are going to say hey I remember someone saying if it didn't work to do this this and this. Well they never learn to get the most out of the product or use it correctly. Probably a bad analogy but its like kids today saying I don't need to learn math I have a calculator to make it easier. A calculator gets the results but you didn't master the process.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I have sent Dust photos of how much I use and have told him I feel he isnt using enough product, plus he is using a foam pad. As far as your sarcastic comment about the industry wouldn't be without me, you need to do better than that-you need to offer somethng on here instead of jumping in and wanting to cause BS, on all the forums I have seen you on you are just a whiner and complainer and offer no real advice at all. Yes. I did help the industry with beta testing for 3M, its just that you have no clue about this stuff and no one would ever want your help, there isn't a product in detailing that helps whining or complaining.

15. Mindflux

My comment was not sarcastic. I meant it. Truthfully, without direct involvement with detailers we'd still be using age old compounds and we wouldn't have the advancements we have. I beta test for a few companies myself; I can't name of course. That would be detrimental to me and other testers.

Remind me what I whined about again? Oh yeah! that Autogeek didn't alert me that my items were on backorder when I needed them the very next weekend. Well slap me silly for wanting to do a job when I said I would do it. Not to mention I was specifically ON their board requesting more information AFTER HOURS on the day I expected my order to ship.

You have a bitter side of you that likes to come out at the most inopportune time. Why not be a little more objective?

16. Mindflux

Yeah I agree with you on that. I guess we all need to remember to let folks know that first and foremost read and TRY the directions on the product itself. Deviation from that is not supported by the mfg and may have adverse side effects. :computer:

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Well when you want to add your .02 to something that didnt involve you to begin with I will be alittle bitter and its not at an inopportune time, especially when you dont hardly ever or even ever do you add anything to the forum I will respond to your post and that would go for anyone that wants to do the same.

18. Mindflux

I'm sorry I don't have time to have 1,100 posts in just shy of a year here. If I try your bombardment tactic maybe I'll "win a few", too. Why aren't you out detailing again?

I added me $0.02 here about Dust2Glory's problem this had absolutely nothing to do with me at all. You're the one that brought my 'problems' into the topic of discussion.

19. D&D Auto Detailing

20. Mindflux

Thanks for bringing some humor into the thread :) :applause2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.