Fabric and Upholstery care

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Socal Brian, May 15, 2011.

1. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I'm shopping for a Fabric, Upholstery, and Carpet Protectant so I'm looking for feedback and comparisons on: 3M Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Protector vs. 303 high tech fabric guard vs. Chemical guys Fabric Guard Protectant. :shead:

2. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

You might want to throw Ultima Interior Guard Plus, Blackfire Interior Protectant and G|Techniq I1 into the mix as well. For my part I've only tried the 3M and 303 products and have not compared them in a very controlled/rigorous manner but I think I'd give the nod to 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. There are vastly more experienced voices here so you should get more informed advice. Good luck.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

They all use similar chemical coating technology; my preference is 303 Fabric Protector

4. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

My bet is they are all fluorocarbon teflon protectors. Either water or solvent based carriers. My preference is solvent based non aerosol (why pay for the propellant). I tend to recommend 303 also. Reasonable availability, quality product etc. If you want to buy it in bulk check out a carpet cleaning supply store. You can buy solvent based protectors buy the gallon, around 100-150 bucks depending on what type.

As for water based they come RTU (ready to use) or based on their dilution 1:4, 1:6 1:32. You will pay accordingly higher prices for higher concentrations of protector.

Keep in mind protectors are for fabric only. They leave a film, that film is subject to wear and tear, highly acidic/alkaline products and UV light. I do not recommend trying to put it on anything but fabrics.