Epic and Swirl questions

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by fellowsdrake, Jan 14, 2013.

1. fellowsdrake

fellowsdrake Two Bucket System Washer

Can I get some assitance w/ this?
    Swirl sounds like good polish, would this be applied then apply epic? What about applying wax ontop of the epic? Says avoid washing before 24hours but what about waxing?
    Is Epic comparable to Hybrid V7?
    OOH also wondering about AMIGO

2. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

Amigo is a glaze product that can be topped with a wax, in this case it would go under Prima Epic

Epic is the wax

Swirl is less aggressive than Prima Cut

The order of aggressiveness (most aggressive to least) would be Prima: Cut then Swirl, then Finish

So you need to remove defects in the paint first, so use Swirl

Then use Amigo to glaze the surface and prep it for the wax

Then follow with Epic or Banana Gloss

Nick (founder/owner) of Prima made a quick reply to your other thread when you inquired about Prima Hydro Wash and Hydro Seal

He doesn't get to be on the forums as much as he would like, but email him and I'm sure you'll get great customer service :)

His screen name here is Nick@Prima and email can be found on the Prima site, Prima Car Care

Prima doesn't get as much exposure as it should on the forum, but the line is very solid across the board.

I love the Hydro spray wax, best on the market hands down!

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Prima Hdyro is the shit. and a must have

4. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Solid lineup! Agreeing with others here, it definitely doesn't get the fame it should. Although I haven't tried their polishes (which are being but on daily deals over at dd), prima amigo, prima slick, prima hydro, and prima Nero are all amazing products I've tried. Nero is currently my go to for tire dressing, trim dressing, and sometimes interior dressing. Very versatile product.

Getting back on topic, prima amigo topped with menzerna powerlock looks stunning and is a go to for many here on this forum. And yes, you can go straight to applying powerlock after applying amigo, no bonding issues.

5. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

i use amigo topped with powerlock on half of my clientel.

6. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

everything Prima makes are ok - great IME, except for their polishes IME. but I tend to be lazy and find stuff that's easy to work with, I find menz, megs and sonax polishes works best for me. So I would leave Prima cut, swirl, and finish out of my arsenal, they just don't finish as nice as the three I mention, or cut as good.

This is just my experiences, so yours maybe different. :)

7. fellowsdrake

Is Nero comparable to 303?

8. Holden

Somewhat. I don't think you can use Nero on leather like you can with 303. I have used Nero for interior dressing, tires, and exterior trim and find it lasting longer than 303 in my personal experience. A little goes a long way with nero as well. I am still on a bottle I bought about 4-5 months ago.

9. fellowsdrake

I use Adams vrt for all outside stuff. 303 for all interior

10. fellowsdrake

So would you go so far as to say that a novice/enthusiast would do best to stick with the prima line of products? As a person that only wants to keep stuff nice (I'll probably never own a PorterCable to be 100% honest) would this be something you'd recommend for someone like me?

11. dogma

dogma DB Forum Supporter

IMO Prima is one of the best lines of products out. I have had great results with every product including swirl.I also agree that Regular Hydro is the best spray wax you can get.
    I also like the fact that Prima products are so easy to use and they are fool proof. Amigo is awesome and for me can handle most of my needs by slight correction or helping to hide. If i were to use Prima i would use Swirl then Amigo then Hydroseal using regular Hydro instead of water as a spritz. Epic is really nice too, but I prefer Hydro Seal.
    Also Banana Gloss is a really awesome product too.I can't say enough how awesome I think Prima products are.

12. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

The Prima and Adam's line of products are Excellent for the Novice \Enthusiast. But to truly benifit from them I would suggest at least picking up a PC. You would be amazed at how much better your experience will be.

13. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

An enthusiast/novice COULD do well with the Prima line, its really up to personal preference and what fits your needs best, that comes with testing and comparing. I can say though, Prima is about 85% of what I use and I couldn't be happier and I am just an enthusiast. You can get some pretty wicked results with Prima Swirl on both a PC and a Rotary. I have actually found it to be extremely verstile as a one stepper with the Makita and an Uber Green pad. I also really enjoy Prima Nero, it leaves a great finish to any surface whether it be interior trim, exterior trim, or tires. Also a plus that it leaves a nice, but not overbearing scent.

And as others have stated, Amigo is an awesome product as is Banana Gloss, some of the usually underestimated products. Plus, their customer service is excellent.

14. Swanicyouth

Swanicyouth Two Bucket System Washer

I've been screaming about Hydro in another forum since I've tried it about a year ago. I have about 15 "spray waxes" and its the best. Better than flavor of the month. Slick is also the best QD out there, IMHO.

I plan on trying some Amigo. I have Clarity, Nero, Slick, Hydro, and Nourish.

Crazy thing is, my local auto parts store sells the whole Prima line. One of the guys brought it in because he was impressed with it. I have access to all their stuff around the corner.

15. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

i wouldn't go as far as saying to buy the entire line or only use their line.

it depends on you and what you want to have in your arsenal. if you want the "best" for each category of detailing product, then you're gonna have to buy different items from different lines/manufacturers.

by a solid line across the board, what i'm trying to convey is that you can't really go wrong on any of the items. of course, other manufacturers may have a polish or tire dressing that performs better or looks better, but it doesn't mean that the equivalent product from Prima is not good. not sure if you follow what i'm trying to explain. :giggle:

you know who uses the Prima line the most? RIchard Lin. he has a lot of experience with their paint correction products. ask him.

+1, Prima Hydro spray wax is the shiznit! and i've tried others like Optimum Car Wax (OCW), 1Z spray wax, Sonax High Speed but Hydro beats them all.

+1, to extract the full potential of the paint correction products, you really need a machine.

whether it be a PCXP, Griot's Garage 6", etc.

it's equivalent to having a high performance car but not using the correct octane gasoline.

right on. :thumb:

i forgot who mentioned the Hydro to me, when I first tried it. but i remember it was Danny (the mustang guy in Texas) who mentioned the Slick to me.

16. fellowsdrake

Yeah I'm not looking for perfection. All my cars are used on the highway and on shitty roads a lot. I would like the simplicity of sticking to one line of products.

I'm not goin to go out ad but everything prima makes lol. I'll stick with my 303 and sonax. If prima makes something like Adams VRT then I'll substitute.

17. fellowsdrake

Maybe if I get some extra coin I'll look into a porter cable. I'm just a little paranoid about fucking up my car. It's a Mitsubishi and they use some soft ads paint...
    I was also paranoid my first engine swap...

18. Holden

Don't be! The porter cable is almost idiot proof. The rotation slows down with forced pressure and will stop as a safety mechanism when excessive force is applied. And by definition, orbitals are not suppose to create holograms (unless in the wrong hands where one does not have any knowledge about detailing and expects to one step with a wool pad and m101 compound.). I too was once in your shoes and I took the plunge and got a griots DA. I've never looked back and it makes polishing/applying LSP's a breeze. As a beginner, I would recommend staying away from rotarys until gaining plenty experience with an orbital. I got the griot's DA because it has a more powerful motor than the porter cable plus it comes with a lifetime warranty. As long as you do your research about polishes, pads, technique, and combos, etc. you will be fine. My advice, read read read! Knowledge is power and I spent countless hours reading articles about products and technique.

19. blongo804

blongo804 DB Forum Supporter

All I have to add to this thread is also not to be scared when it comes to a DA. I also have a Griots (3rd gen) from Phil here equipped with some Uber pads. I took a plunge at my first ever "correction" and got awesome results. I wasn't doing it right at first and just kept trying to get a feel for it. Once I got my own technique down, it was golden. I had absolutely no guidance besides YouTube videos. I'll attach some pictures below:

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After: (the next day here in PA.. dirt galore since it's winter time so try to see through it. ;) )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, this thread did make me order some Epic and Swirl. :)

20. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

No doubt Adams VRT is a great dressing, I often use it myself, but don't underestimate the longetivity of Prima Nero, its pretty good.