Duragloss

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by P1et, Apr 23, 2008.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

This has got to be a thread with the most views on DB, no?

2. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

for good reason...i'm really liking this product line

3. metajames

metajames Birth of a Detailer

I got my duragloss order last week and finally had a chance to try out some of the new goodies.

DG901 worked well for me as a car wash and was gentle on my lsp. I also liked the aqua wax, easy to use doesn't streak or anything and leaves a nice glossy finish.

I had a rough time with 601/111, I really like the look of this sealant however I found it really tough to remove, I had to buff pretty hard with a towel which is not something I like to do especially on a car I just spent all day polishing. When I applied by hand on a test panel it was also very hard to remove. Both 601/111were applied with a pc and allowed to haze.

Although the looks are nice with dg111 I found that it lacked slickness and smoothness compared to the powerlock I have been using. Slickness improved after a bit of cure time but still not what I expected after reading all the positive comments here. I really wanted to love the duragloss sealant but it just didn't "wow" me. Could I be doing something wrong?

4. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

Havent tried 111 in years but the 601/105 combo is about as easy as it gets.

5. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

If you want a slick feel use Track claw

6. metajames

I may not have let it cure long enough. Some of the areas where I had removal issues still showed light buffer trails this morning but going over these areas gently with a damp microfiber cleaned it up with ease. I put on a second coat this morning by hand instead of the pc to see how that goes. How long should I typically let it haze for?

I debated trying track claw, will give it a shot when I order more aquawax and cwc.

7. cnut

cnut Guest

I usually let sit for 20-30 minutes but that is in the south's humid air. If it streaks I just wipe it down with a damp mf or spray some QD on the surface to aid in removal. I hope this was helpful.

8. al1515

al1515 Virgin Detailer

Quick question for you DG lovers out there.

I would like to detail my friend's white Volvo XC90 with DG 501 (marine & RV Polish) followed by 951 (Aquawax).

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time after 501 before applying 951? Or can I apply Aquawax immediately after the 501 is buffed off?

9. richy

richy Guest

111 is supposed to leave a wetter looking shine than 105 but to me it is hard to remove compared to 105. 105 has a bit of cleaner to it so its removal is therefore easier than 111. I was going to order some 111 but am sticking with 105. 105 is slick, especially after curing, and the track claw is the slickest they make.

501 is a sealant and needs to cure about 12 hours. The only way to get around that is to use it in conjunction with 601. You can mix 501/601 at a 4:1 ratio and then top it immediately after removal. Go around the whole car and let it dry well and then go on to your next step. Hope that helps. I like using AW after my steps which are 601/501 then 601/105. It gets rid of any residue you may have missed and gives a nice slickness and glow.

10. metajames

Thanks for the tips guys this definitely helps. I think removal was actually easer when applied by hand instead of PC. A damp towel helped allot however it was still not as easy to remove as MPL, it left some marring on my soft subaru paint but I suppose that's unavoidable.

Regardless, have really been enjoying the look of DG111, definitely wet and glossy. Also, I have been impressed with how well the slickness lasts after multiple washes. I have a test panel with 105, 111, 601/105 and 601/111 side by side in the backyard and the side where I used 601 has much better durability than the areas without so I'm totally converted on using the 601. The difference between 105 and 111 is now pretty much indistinguishable to me (5 washes and 1 application of DGAW later) but when I first put it on the 111 was wetter and deeper looking.

I think 601 with 111 or 105 may actually be more durable than Collinite 845? I may start using this stuff on my wheels too.