Duragloss

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by P1et, Apr 23, 2008.

1. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I believe 601 would only be used before the 1st coat only

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Atleast 12 hours

3. richy

richy Guest

There would be no problem using it every time and it would speed up the curing time between coats. That stuff is very strong though..don't throw your money away..you'll be amazed at how long one coat will last. Good news is that it's relatively cheap though. Let us know if it feels any different. I'd be curious to know as I've never done a 2nd layer.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

+1, I too have never done two coats, haven't had the need for it, not even on the fire trucks I detail. I too would be very curious to see how this works out.

5. FJF

FJF Any Rag Vehicle Washer

<grin> Me, three. This is going on a car that hasn't been able to retain any LSP for more than a month in its 3 year existence. It's a very unusual case that requires a brute force approach. The paint was polished and received a cleaning with 501, then 601/105 everywhere except for the hood. It's getting layered KSG after KAIO. Three layers so far. Based on the comments, I'll do another 2 layers of 601/105 and add a couple of layers of KSG to the hood. We'll see how things pan out.

6. richy

richy Guest

Don't put anything on top of the 2 layers of 601/105.

7. 4gothow2playwc3

4gothow2playwc3 Virgin Detailer

For guys using UDM or PC, how do you apply DG501? Can I use speed 6 with 15-20lbs of pressure using a 6.5" ccs white polishing pad? DG501 doesn't have abrasives does it?

8. richy

richy Guest

501 is a marvellous product. No it does not have abrasives but you CAN mix it with some 106 or SIP and have an awesome one-stepper. If you use it for its cleaning abilities with a UDM, the white pad at speed 6 is fine. Do this after compounding/polishing and before sealant or wax. This combo (white pad/speed 6) will clean the paint very well and prepare the paint for its final step. You don't need much pressure either. You will find cleaning 501 out of the pad to be a son of a bitch.

9. 4gothow2playwc3

4gothow2playwc3 Virgin Detailer

Actually that's what I did. I was just wondering if I did it correctly :D after applying DG501, I removed the polish with a microfiber towel. I then applied DG105 with a blue pad using speed 3 just to spread evenly and then buffed out :applause2:

10. richy

richy Guest

You did fine. I would suggest adding 601 by hand BEFORE the 105. 105 can be spread at a 1 or 2, 3 might be a little fast..no biggie though, as long as you don't let it dry out.

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Rich that's a fantastic idea. I wonder how a 501/Power Finish hybrid would work...

Since you also mentioned what a son of a gun it is to get pads clean after using 501, what do you suggest for this?

12. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I use Dawn and hot water to remove 501. I also work the Dawn into the pad then let it sit in the hot water for a while

13. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

501 is awesome. I've used it from everything from sap and tar removal to a paint cleaner to chrome protectant to wheel protection as well as windshield protection. MUST have. 105 is awesome too, but not as versatile.

14. jokerswilds3

jokerswilds3 Virgin Detailer

I'm going to be picking up my new 2010 corolla s this week. The dealership tried to sell me their $1000 protectant with no luck. I been looking around here and this looks like a pretty good product. If someone has the time. Can you tell me what products to start out with and maintain with. Also since the car is brand new. Should I apply right away or wait? Alsowhat applicators would be the best?
    Thank you in advance!

15. richy

richy Guest

Karl..that is a DAMNED good idea!!!! I love both of those products, talk about synergy! I can't wait to get home from DC to try it out! Your timing on getting out the 501 is good too. I just finished that TR6 before I left and had used 501 on it and had the EASIEST time cleaning the pad than ever before. I had picked up the Zep professional purple degreaser and poured a little directly onto the pad and let her soak. It cleaned it out completely and very easily too. Try your Mag Sol Super green stuff full strength on it and see how it does. Let me know. If not, the power of the purple is a sight to behold. I did my eaves and my garage door (used it in the foam cannon for the door) and was amazed at how quickly and well it worked.

Since you're posting here I'm assuming you want advice on DG products. Get yourself some 501, 601, 105 and Aquawax to start. That'll do ya for a long time.

16. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

Hi all,

I m ordering #101, #105, #601, #951, #751 & Bug Remover ... I cant find #501 in Spore, distributor does not sell products for Marine/RV :( ...

What do u think guys? is my collection good enough for daily use?

17. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

you can order right from DG and they ship fast also for just 4.95 for the order..best part is the products are fresh..some stores do not sell much of the DG and they are old....some out dated....

Al

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I love 105. I have the bug remover and the car soap to try still. I wanna get aquawax and the rain repellent next!

19. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Dude, you don't have AW? You need to run - not walk - run to your nearest carquest and buy a bottle.

You won't be disappointed.

20. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

i dont have carquest where I live. do you have any to trade? :D