dsms detail - Beefy Correction on Hammered LS460

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Sep 11, 2010.

1. bimmer nation

bimmer nation Birth of a Detailer

crazy good work dave
    is that the griot 3" DA?

2. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

BTW, Dave, what kind of wool pad are you using in this detail?

foam or regular one?

Cheers,

3. mutmanns

mutmanns DB Forum Supporter

that is the griot 6" with a smaller backing plate

4. cnut

cnut Guest

Turnaround is an understatement! Great work indeed!!

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, David! Wetsanding seems to be like a lot of work, but ehn again it is very well worth it...

6. XFS

XFS Guest

fantastic job man i really like it!!! :worship2:

where did you find megs sand foam discs? i use 3m trizact at the moment and i really want to test the megs!

is pleasant to wet-sand a Japanese paint but if you deal with BMW paint and wet-sand it ,is a nightmare until you get rid of the sand marks! hehe

7. gav'spurplez

gav'spurplez Virgin Detailer

that door shot is brutal !!!

awesome job, how many hours / days ?

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Fantastic turnaround Dave :thumb:

Had we not seen all the before and 50/50 shots one could easily be mistaken for thinking this is actually a brand new car!

How many hours did you spend on this one btw?

9. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

this turned out great as usual, where did you get 3" meguairs wetsanding disks? 6" are not that comfortable to use and dont want to cut down 6" paper

10. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Tell your friend I'm sorry, I probably severely cut down his weekly free time if thats true. And yes this was a 3-4 step correction, not a 2 step.

Absolutely not. I own the Megs G110 v2, the Griots DA and a PC XP. By far the tighter orbits on the Griots makes for much better correction. If you think about it, with a shorter stroke machine your less likely to get deep pigtails when sanding because the rotation is not coming around from a further starting point, making the orbit itself tighter and IMO smoother, hence why the Griots is such a capable machine.

Great memory Joe, may just have to do that one of these days.

Lexus paint overall is great to work with the only problem is getting it to finish out clean after heavy compounding, with BMW black getting it to finish down on any stage can be a nightmare!

Trizact and Megs are extremely similar, I honestly do not think there is a difference in performance.

I honestly lost count David... I may have broken double digits on time :giggle:

AG

11. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Nice work. That black lexus paint is SOFT.

12. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

For the final finish down are you using 85rd on Green pad?

13. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Mostly black DD finishing pad, some areas need a little more bit some green was used first.

14. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Looks fantastic Dave, I always loved those LS series. How do you manage running the DA to apply LSP around the tight spots, like door handles and mirrors and that sort of thing? Do you go back over it with a hand applicator?

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Car looks awesome!!(again...)

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Machine every inch that I can (safely) and using a 100ppi foam hand applicator for areas like the license plate holder that can be machines easily

Thanks Bob, again!