Done with the Dealership

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by billyblooshoes, Dec 18, 2010.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Always the best choice, education first.

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

thanks rich. i tried to leave my job in as best a way as to not burn any bridges. i feel the same way about it as you do. i must say, i detailed for my own customers all weekend, and was enjoying the hell out of it! everything except powerwashing and doing dirty bmw wheels in about 20 degree weather, lol.

thanks chas. the passion is definitely creeping back in, and its funny because it looks like now i'll be busier now detailing than i was all summer. funny how things work out sometimes. thanks for the well wishes.

thanks pat! after swearing that i would never finish college, i finally came to my senses.

i know what you mean, but with the field im looking to go into, there is NO outsourcing.:whistle:

im sorry to hear about your troubles. seems to be a common theme nowadays. employers require certain experience, but how is one to get that experience without a job! crazy world. best of luck to you.

very true.

3. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I messaged you about my leap. I was in a job the made good money, 85 grand + a year but it seemed to be going nowhere and more education at the time didn't seem to help me move up. So I took the buyout and left. I don't make nearly as much money yet but I love life a lot more. I decided this year was the time to get better educated and pursue a professional designation (CGA). I am sure you made the right choice and will be much happier from it.

4. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Good luck Billy, it sounds like you are doing the right thing by going back to school.

5. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

Hey could you explain what it was like working at the dealership please. Just to clarify for everyone the techniques they use since we all see those cars coming out of dealerships and body shops all swirled up.

Thank you!

Also, great choice in going back to school. And I understand how pressure from a dealership can make things not fun anymore. Its a lot different when you have a job detailing, and when you are doing it for yourself like if you are doing it on the side.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I was looking at computer programming field...salary - $72k a year...but next thing you know more and more of those jobs are moved to India, because they can do it for $12k a year...

7. billyblooshoes

trust me i know what you mean. im looking to get a job in federal law enforcement, so there wont be any outsourcing with those jobs, lol :giggle:.

8. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

CGA, nice! I'm going into getting my BBA next year but I'm still unsure of the CGA, CMA, and CA thing :S I like accounting, and as of right now I'm thinking of being a CA. I realize what we are doing at school is hardly what an accountant does, and thats the stupid part, I still don't know what a day of an accountant looks like. Can you help me out here?

9. billyblooshoes

thanks emile!

ugh where should i start. well, everything is ass backwards. start to finish. cars come in, and moat of the time whether they are new or used, they are effed up. especially the used cars/trade in's. washing...one bucket, with like 3 mitts in it. i was able to sneak a grit guard in ours when i first started at the shop. claying suck. if it were up to me, i would throw the clay away like every few days given the amount of contamination they see, but due to managers not wanting to spend money, you end up using the same clay for like a month. the chemicals all suck. buffing out out a car....try this on for size. you're generally expected to "buff out" a car in a few hours. that means (at least for where i worked) around 3 steps in 3 hours. compounding, polishing, and finishing. i was lucky to talk my bosses into letting me get some 3M compounds, polishes and pads. they didnt like that because although the cars come out looking better, it takes longer. remember, time is money. quality is of no great importance to these people. most places use "polishes" that are basically glorified glazes with heavy fillers. thats why most cars are hologrammed to high hell. this is how most dealers do it: compound the shit out of the car with heavy wool pad as fast as possible. this means: minimal defect removal, maximum holograms or "swirls" as these people like to call them. then they go over the whole car with a polishing pad, and "polish" effectively reducing the prominence of the holograms the swirls, and brightening the paint a bit. then the car is waxed with a wax that sucks donkey balls, and will maybe last a week if youre lucky. one wash and all the wax is stripped. oh and the wax has fillers in it too. everything is heavy on fillers and silicone. tire dressings are sloppy and generally suck. microfibers are generally shitty, old, and low qualoty. the microfibers i would deem "better" and would use on paint at work, are ones that personally i would only use on MAYBE door jambs and wheels on my own car or customers cars.

let me know if you'd like me to go on...:drinking2:

10. supercharged

are you gonna be secret FBI agent?

11. billyblooshoes

not necessarily FBI. i'm not really sure yet, but i do have plans on going for criminal investigator/special agent in one of the bureau's.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Congratulations Bill!

And boys, outside sales jobs is where it's at. You cannot put those jobs overseas.

13. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

good luck bro. gotta give you a call soon.

14. billyblooshoes

thanks roger. call me any time...im unemployed now lol!

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

So you leave me high and dry to work in the dealership huh? Congrats on the decision to move on, but take education in stride. If you need it to do what you want to do, then do it. A lot of people just go to college because they feel pressured. Make the right decision for yourself.

16. billyblooshoes

sorry to leave you in the trenches. i can honestly say i'm doing school for me this time. my first two years at college were with no real direction or goals...not really knowing what i wanted to do. now i know what i want to do, so i'm actually excited to get back into school.

17. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Good shit. It's not bad at all to take time off and really figure out what you want to do.

18. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

That sounds pretty bad from what you described. I didnt want to quote you cause it would fill up a page haha :)

But wow, whats the purpose of compounding with wool as fast as possible, you wont remove nothing and just cause severe swirls. Wouldnt it make sense to just polish?

And the clay scenario made me cringe :O wow for a whole month lol. Thats priceless.

19. supercharged

good luck, Billy!

20. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

So how is all that going with you now Billy? How is school?

I finish school in September, I am so excited!