does the rupes have you reevaluating your pricing?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by bryansbestwax, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Ya you have to excuse us Canadians. We are early to celebrate and forget the americans can wait a bit longer to celebrate. I hope others don't view Bob as the bully, and it is good to have differing views. If bib really didnt care his contribution to this discussion would have been limited if any. I am just bringing what I have learned as in the production field as my points. A lot of what i have stated is based on science and mathematics in the end. To me the rupes is an efficiency tool along with a few other tools I will use to net me more money. I am not afraid to admit that part at all. In the end there is two guys who believe in very opposite approaches to the same situation. I still have not lost sight of doing a good job, day in and day out and making the customers happy.

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

2. bryansbestwax

I will conclude my contribution with a quick little story that a professor once told my class.
    "Nike sent 2 sales guys to Africa to scout out whether there was the potential for sales. The one reported back, situation here is horrible, nobody wears shoes. The second reported back situation is incredibly profitable, no one wears shoes."

3. Mpower4life

Mpower4life DB Pro Supporter

which has.... absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about

4. bryansbestwax

Holy. It is an example of how 2 people can look at the same situation in totally the opposite manner. Its a story. Sorry I couldn't toss detailing stuff in there.

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

The thread that never ends....................... good grief

6. Mpower4life

Of course two people can't look at things differently. Hey, if you can get $80 per hour then good for you. Let me know how it goes.

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

guys let it go........

8. bryansbestwax

I am gunnin for $100. Hhahah

9. bryansbestwax

Or the epic awesome thread packed with true awesomeness that refuses to end. And to think this was started with one open ended question. If it doesn't work, you guys will see hourly pricing again on my site. If you want to know if it works check in 6 months.

10. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You should charge more, but I don't believe you will get away with a 1:1 ratio. I say add to your hourly rate and take the free-time as a benefit.

I am in business for 2 reasons only:

1. Make more money doing less work
    2. Spend more free-time with my friends and family

A flat rates is no different than quoting a job and getting it done earlier or taking a little longer, but charging the same. Bob charges more for mobile services than if you come to his shop, what for? I don't see him lowering his hourly rate because the Rupes makes his life easier, yet that is exactly what he's trying to make you believe. Bob is a craftsman, not an entrepreneur or business person. No one is giving 50% discounts because they buy the Rupes, but again, that's what Bob and many others are implying you should do.

Not charging more is ridiculous and narrow-minded. Profit is the motive in all business, but if you admit to it and talk about it, you'll be hanged for it. You can't be a pro-business person on the forum, because you'll have all the craftsmen calling you thieving Wall-Street brokers. Even though they make up a small portion of the 1% and every football, basket ball and baseball player you cheer on weekly makes more money than most CEOs for throwing around pig skin and smashing into people.

I only charge $150 for Opti-Coat, but a local guy and many forum members charge $300-$500. Yet, because I want to make more money per hour, I'm an asshole.

Things people charge more for, but are not criticized for:

Opti-Coat & other coatings
    Premium Carnauba Waxes
    Fabric Protection
    All LSPs
    Ozone-Treatment
    Odor Removal
    Mobile Services
    IronX Treatment
    Paint Thickness Inspection
    Vinyl Wrap
    Clear Bra
    Waterless/Rinseless Washing
    New Van/Truck Purchases
    Shop Leasing

To each his own, but if I really wanted to save my customer money, I'd just let them borrow my tools. I'm not handing out milk, bread and eggs and charging more for it. I'm in a business based 100% off material wants. Nobody needs a detail, but they all want one. If they are willing to pay more, they are willing to pay more. You shouldn't cut yourself short based on your beliefs, you should maximize your potential based on other peoples values.

11. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Quenga please do not put words that did not come from my mouth out as fact or your opinion again, when you have accomplished something in the trade then let that work be a calling card for a informed opinion and not conjecture or even speculation....................... I charge more for mobile as it is more preparation, gas, wear and tear on my company vehicle and lastly the job is harder because the working conditions are not as good.................... thought you had some education? at the local CC maybe but not "Real world" pay for my family, house payment(Do you own property?) shop experience, etc..................

Now have a nice evening thinking on that.

12. QUENGA

LOL, always so grumpy and hostile. You disagree with charging more per hour, but claim moving onto the next car some how makes you more money? Um, working 10 hours on 1 car or 10 hours on 2 cars and charging the same hourly rate is thus cutting your profit in half.

How is one to make more money, just by doing more cars in 1 day, without charging more per hour? How on this world did I misinterpret that?

You can only make as much as your customers are willing to pay you. If I stood next to my theoritcal twin in detailing and I told he told a customer "I can do this job for $500 and I'll have the car back to you in 10 hours." But, I told them, "I can do the same thing for only $400, and it'll only take me 6 hours."

Thus, you are charging more per hour, but still giving a benefit to the customer. They saved $100 and you saved 4 hours. This is why I said you should charge more, but I don't believe you'll get a 1:1 benefit from it. You can do it twice as fast, but you can't charge twice as much.

Have a great evening responding to that! Lol...

13. Mpower4life

ooohhh another guy who hides behind his computer and runs his mouth speaking utter nonsense. No one will take you seriously.... I've read ur posts on other forums.... What a joke.

14. bryansbestwax

I guess the post secondary institutions are run off of books filled with utter nonsense then.

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Again please do start what you know you cannot finish............................ who said EVERYcar done in my shop is straight hourly?, my point is getting more or less from a machine/product/location whatever should not have you re-vamping your whole biz model. Adjustments are fine............thinking outside the box is fine, however the over thinking of things is just that.

Both of you guys...................come on now.
    Bryan define "Applicational knowledge" , there is my point sans the sarcasm.

16. Mpower4life

Lol funny thing is.... You two are known on each forum as the same type of nonsense. You two should probably be best friends

17. QUENGA

Lol. After 4 years in the Marine Corps, I hide behind nothing and no one. If you or anyone else is ever in San Diego, you're more than welcome to stop by and we can chat. No need to get hostile though. You could try to offer an argument to what I said though, that would actually be beneficial.

I charge $25 to put Opti-Seal on a car and it takes about 15 minutes. That technically nets me $100/hr, far more than I charge for paint correction work.

Should I lower my rate to $10 to keep in line with my hourly correction rate? I don't see anyone saying yes to that. I used to charge $50 for hand wax, and it took an hour. Now, I make double per hour, but charge 1/2 what I used to. Faster. Cheaper. Better. What's wrong with that?

18. Mpower4life

If you want to be "rich" then you should probably find another career path. One that is more geared towards your frame of mind. You can't just reinvent the game that it is.

19. Mpower4life

Sure ill stop by. Do you think that intimidates me throwing in that you were in the service? I could throw out stats buddy but I'll refrain as I don't need to.

20. QUENGA

The only thing I'm starting is a conversation. You call yourself a "bully", but when someone has a different point of view than you, we're somehow a "bad bully". I don't get it.

My whole point is to not to increase rates, but don't lower your quotes. I charge relatively flat rates based on how long it usually takes me. When the Speedy Prep Towel came out, I didn't lower my pricing, but I made more money per hour. Opti-Seal, same thing...heck, I actually decreased my rate and still make more money per hour!

The idea of making more money is not evil. Faster. Better. Cheaper.

Funny, you know who we are, but I have no idea who you are. Shit, I'm famous!! We should be friends, I like this guy :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.