does the rupes have you reevaluating your pricing?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by bryansbestwax, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

don't get me wrong, my abilities with the DA type machines are less than my rotary prowess. I know it can be done, but I haven't touched the amount of paint with a DA as I have with a rotary. I have seen what others can do with DA's so I know it's me not the machine. I talk with another detailer in my area who has used the DA twice as long as I, and can handle different paints with it due to his experience and sheer number of cars done.

2. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Virgin Detailer

And yet Bob is bull-y because he does Lamborghinis....

(sorry, couldn't resist.... this thread needed some brevity :p:)

3. Mpower4life

Mpower4life DB Pro Supporter

My point was you cannot fully correct a vehicle in 5-8 hours. Don't put words in my mouth. However, I don't consider using a filler as correction.

4. Mpower4life

Could this be because ur not spending the proper time needed as this whole thread was built upon? Trying to shortcut paint correction is not going to benefit you

5. Mpower4life

For example... Before I had my dry vapor steam cleaner I thought... Man there has to be a way to improve some of these areas and speed up the process. I remember someone saying.... This new equipment will not decrease the amount of time it takes but improve the quality of the detail. Same thing applies here. It has improved the overall quality, not decreased work time.

6. bryansbestwax

Where is filler mentioned. I definitely wouldn't imply fillers at me due to the fact I optiguard/coat 98% of the cars I do, especially this year. And those that use it know if the paint isnt squeaky clean you will be redoing the coating. This I know from not having a squeaky clean hood once on a car, which was my own fault and cost me much more time than it would have taken to do an extra few wipes. My general routine is body shop pre paint cleaner, then a wash and then eraser. So I am pretty sure the fillers don't stand a chance.

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

7. bryansbestwax

Ask mike Murphy if the rupes doesn't decrease working time. Heck ask the man himself that worked to bring them to NA, do you think KB would say he doesn't work any faster because if it. I know the answer cause in candid phone conversation KB told me "its a beast, this thing corrects fast". And it works faster with the magic washer. That is the other conversation I had in which he asked me if I was a wussy. :)

8. bryansbestwax

My issue outlined is finishing. If you are spending the same amount of time finishing paint as you are cutting it, there is something majorly wrong with your initial tactics. That goes without saying to anyone.

9. Mpower4life

You are still not getting it... I never said it did not correct quicker. I am a huge proponent of rupes and I have had many conversation with Kevin about this. There you go putting words in my mouth again...
    You obviously are set in your ways and will do whatever you want to do. So this is once again pointless discussing.

10. bryansbestwax

On another note someone asked of adding people adds efficiency. In that case you are adding capacity not efficiency into the system. You are now doing more with more. The guys that continually post they are moving to a bigger shop have realized they have peaked to a maximum capacity that forces them to expand in order to do more.

11. Mpower4life

Did I ever once say how long it takes me to finish? You are very good at this whole word placing thing.

Finishing is a very important part of the correction process. Hence called.... Finishing. How about you discuss the issues of it instead of us confirming to bicker about pointless stupid things that will get us no where

12. bryansbestwax

You said it.

13. bryansbestwax

No words placed in mouth.

14. bryansbestwax

In the end there was some great things brought up. The new guys may have gained a little something out of this thread.

15. Mpower4life

As a whole Bryan.... Not an individual effort or one part of the detail.

16. Mpower4life

Let me be more specific on that example... I am now able to dial in the engine compartment better with the use of steam, but it also can be time consuming. I hit the jambs and interior with it as well. It is also an effective tool for seats and carpets. So it actually has increased my work time as I'm able to do more with it.

17. bryansbestwax

Alright I will throw a point out there .Taking 2 hours out of a 10/20/40/60 hour detail is still two hours that wasn't spend polishing. When youre dealing with dependant systems, any gain no matter where it is is a gain. These are business fundamentals. We would work hours to shave a few minutes off an assembly line full of hundreds of people, because in the end extra minutes equates to extra money being spent.

18. Mpower4life

Yes beig efficient in itself will ultimately save you money in the long run even in other aspects of the business.

19. bryansbestwax

This exactly like the clay example I gave. Sometimes we do things to improve quality but they take longer. Our net quality benefits out weigh the time benefits if we didnt do it. This is not the case of the initial question I asked about the machine. It may increase quality and decrease time. These things don't come along often.

20. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Bryan you do know I am tight with Mr KBM, and outside of the guys who used it @ The NXT class in Irvine I probably have as much time on the machine as anyone in the USA and used the machine at last years SEMA show(The aforementioned Mike Murphy being at the class along with Bryan Burnworth and Tuan, Jeff, Franki) so the point of the Rupes being faster is established but the micro managment of how you are going to do this and that is the "Bridge to nowhere" to coin a phrase................ are you really sitting up a night thinking of ways to re-invent the wheel of detailing? if so and you want to be utilizing your time wisely believe me you are not doing it.

I really do not want to bang you here, we have had good conversations on the phone and text(Except you texting on Thanksgiving day......) but shake yourself.................. is the point to convince me and Paul you know as much or more?, cause that isn't coming thru right now. As for new guys reading this some will get confused or think (Bob is a bully F him) but I am helping thru responding with "Keep it simple".

Oh thanks Charlie for the light hearted banter, as we ALL need to change this up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.