does the rupes have you reevaluating your pricing?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by bryansbestwax, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Karl Marx would agree. We better give Usain Bolt some bad shoes, because he's running too fast. If he still wins, make sure the 2. place prize is better than the first. :giggle: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Kind regards,

Ebbe

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Bolt could likely run barefoot and win. Damn that guy is fast.

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

3. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

is the rupes that much faster that this is even a factor? i have not ordered one yet but the fact that some one felt the need to make this thread is impressive

4. bryansbestwax

Yes. So far it seems that much faster I thought I would start a thread. How much faster? As of now about 25% faster maybe a bit more

5. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Well many people voted for the "Hope n change" again.................................... I could say those that did deserve what they get but those of us that know better still get banged with you(All of you who did really deserve a kick to the butt HARD by moi).

Bonehead just because you went to medical school why do YOU deserve to roll a tight Porsche?, me thinks you should give it away to HELP others more needy than yourself mmm-k.(The preceding sarcasm is funny in nature, however not so funny for Doctors who actually paid attention in school and by definition are not "Dummies").

Oh and we were talking about the Rupes and charging less............................ uhmm no.

6. bryansbestwax

so are you charging more per hour bob? As stated above, no indication of charging less, maybe charging more.

7. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

I have a feeling Bob's clientele are more along the lines of "whatever it take to get it done correctly—let's do it " versus hourly. You do not have the clientele he does without reason.

8. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I agree with the majority that said pricing should not be adjusted to account for the new machine saving you time.

For me, Iron-X saved me a hell of alot of time claying. Now there is that newer nanoskin pad that I am sure saves even more time. I think we should just be greatful that these tools are becoming available and we should appreciate that in this current day the market is rapidly developing.

How many people even have this new Rupes machine in the US/Canada? Is it a new product? I could swear I left this site for a month and I come back and every other thread has the word "rupes" in it.... I thought you guys were talking about Indian currency there for a second until I figured out what's going on.

9. bryansbestwax

bob charges by the hour, which is why i asked him about adjusting his rate. Say he used to take 20 hours for a detail, and now takes 14 hours, he is now shy 6 hours of hourly billing, with everything being equal.

10. bryansbestwax

Should your pursuit of efficiency not be reward somehow? If joe uses a DA and charges $50/hr takes 6 hours for a certain car. Same car, same condition you take 4 hours to do the same work, and you charge 50/hr, who makes more money? you now need to increase your work flow by 33% to make up for your efficiency gains. so wh0 is working harder? These are open ended questions, and not directed at anyone.

11. bryansbestwax

I worked in automotive assembly for nearly ten years. A car is processed and manufacture at a certain price point, through the same machinery. How do you make more money, using the same systems? You improve your efficiency to push more cars through. There are also other things to consider like preventative maintenance and eliminating defects, which doesn't really adhere to detailing as well.

12. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Bryan does have a good point. By charging hourly your end result will turn out the same, but since you spent less time you get paid less. So really, your more efficient yet getting paid less for the higher investment in a Rupes polisher. Increasing your rates can be seen as being less competitive. I feel that charging for the final result is the ideal way to go about doing this. If you can get a level of correction equivalent to a 2 step by using a Rupes, some new polishes and pads then charge accordingly compared to the result one would get with a 1 step correction with a PCXP (Even if they do take relatively the same amount of time).

13. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I'm just an amateur but if someone wanted to pay me to do their car I'd guess it would take me at least twice as long as most of you at least until I got better at it. I couldn't charge the same hourly rate and bill for twice the time. If I was able to turn out the same quality product in the end the best I could hope for is the same total amount in payment. (I've read enough write-ups on here to know that if I had an entire week i could probably get close to an overall 8 hour detail that most pros do)

It used to drive me crazy how hard it is to take apart things like interiors in modern cars, I used to wonder why they had to make it so hard but then I realized all they are thinking of is how to make it less steps to assemble the car. They still charge for the end product though.

14. bryansbestwax

Assembly jobs are mapped out with an ALBS in assembly areas. (Assembly line balancing system). Every move an assembly person makes is worth a certain number of points. I reach 8 inches, 4 points. I reach 16 inches, 11 points etc. So as a assembly company you want the least amount of points to get to the same end result. That's why cars go together well but don't come apart well.

15. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

You are talking my kind of language ... as this is my full-time job. I'm planning on video-taping my detailing sections in order to better understand my wasted motions. I know most people here might think it's crazy talk, but you can seriously improve your output (detailing time) by analyzing your motions and organizing your materials.

I'm willing to help anyone here if they videotape a detailing session and send it my way.

16. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

economy of motion.............

17. Auto Concierge

Well............................almost every car I do more than I should...............so even though I am at the top of the pricing scale I by definition am a "Restoration detail" as opposed to the "Correction moniker".

I charge fairly and if it took 14 hours I would bill at that number and not a penny more because it is the right and professional thing to do.

18. Auto Concierge

I know I am made fun of for wearing a apron, but by not bending down numerous times to pick up bottles of polish when polishing a car I SAVE hours............................something to consider gentlemen.

19. Auto Concierge

Bryan if you are quicker on one car, it stands to reason you can start on another car......................... thus make more money :giggle:

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

who makes fun of you for wearing a apron? If I did more cars It makes sense too, not sure why more don't wear them. Less chance of scratching a car, easier to put stuff in..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.