Dislike a Product? Tell Us Why Here!

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Denzil, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

damn quote city.. a storm is a brewing.. guess i better get some popcorn.:popcorn:

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

The Uber towels are reasonably priced when purchased in larger quantities and yes they do work. However, if I can find a thicker towel which is safer (to me), works better for me and is roughly in the same price range, then I'm all for the thicker towel.

I'm not quite sure what type of products I use makes any difference to the towels I use but I do use my towels with a lot of different products. :shead:

Out of curiosity, do you feel the Uber towels are the best out there?

3. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have not used enough different brands to make any general statement so I cannot say they are the best.

The 16x16 ubers work fine for me but a prefer a short nap / open weave to remove polishes, etc. The sewn edging gives the towels some heft and do not roll like some of the satin edged towels. This edging is on towels by Pakshak. I have not seen any decent closeups of the excel.

As for safety, I have not seen any issues with most any microfiber towel. The biggest risk I see is just embedded crap in the nap rather than the fiber itself.

I have more towels than I need now although I do want to try a standard waffle weave towel. I do not like the Meg's Water Magnet. It seems to be a pseudo-waffle weave. I have a foam core waffle weave which I like as well as some smaller detailer size (16x24).

4. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I wonder why the PB EX-P and SSR's are such a strong dislike by some when there are many people who really like them.

For example, everytime someone says SSR's dust the response is that you are using too much. (never used it but just see this discussion).

5. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

What a interesting thread!

Sad to say me being a newbie and has been using mainly autoglym products could not comment much on this. I guess i should create a 'what are your must have product' thread so I could tabulate the more popular product and try it out. :giggle:

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

There is nothing wrong with Autoglym's product line. I have been using it for 15 years and personally, don't think you can beat their cleaning products. I use Menz for my polishes instead of Autoglyms because of the dusting and have switched from SRP/EGP to an arsenal of other waxes/sealants if for no other reason than I was bored and wanted to try something new. I have yet to find a sealant that will outlast EGP.

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Even though I agree that SSR polishes dust a lot, I don't see anyone mentioning Menzerna SIP here. Dusts just as much, if not more! I have personally gotten some fine results polishing vehicles with SSR2.5 and SSR1.

8. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I think the SSRs are a love/hate kind of product, dont ask me why because i dont know.. I know a lot of great detailers that only use poorboy's products, and i know a lot of great detailers that cant stand them....so im sure its just the individual needs that determines this

9. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

I agree. I've seen great result that people have had with Poorboys, and other people hate it. I currently use it with pretty good results. I think I haven't gotten great results with them on some rougher cars, due to using them with a PC and not a rotary. I am however going to try out the Menz line of products soon, just because I've heard so many good things about them.

Edit: A product I dislike is Megs body Solvent. I don't think it works very well at all even when I let it dwell for the recommended time or more. I still get bugs and tar that won't come off. Tarminator is a much better products IMO. Now I'm stuck with almost a whole gallon of Body Solvent that I probably won't touch again.

10. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Sorry to be off topic, what is EGP?

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I guess why some of us complain/gripe about SSR polishes and not so much about Menzerna is probably because Menzerna has a larger product line and "in comparison" have better cutting polishes. Of course, Menzerna is much more expensive than the SSR line so :shrug:

Yeah, it really is a love/hate relationship. I'm sure any of us can achieve great results with the SSR line but many of us prefer not to. :shrug:

You're definitely not the first person that has mentioned the Meguiar's Body Solvent lacking. I've had great success with Goof Off. :thumb:

12. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I always assumed if a product (like Menzerna) delivers the best results (best gloss) then almost any issue is considered secondary by most people.

13. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I actually quite like UQD...

NXT V1.0 sucked...Initially I thought it was okay, but the more I used it the less I liked it. I like Gold Class wax..but it lacked durability.

I disliked the amount of cut Optimum products had. I think they are good lighter polishes.

Poorboys on the other hand had pretty good cut, but the work time wasn't as nice. I prefer the Megs polishes to the poorboys.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Extra Gloss Protection. Two coats of this after Super Resin Polish and you are set for the winter. No topping up, no detailing sprays, no maintainance period. Just don't apply it too thick or it'll be next spring before you get it all off.

15. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

IPA is listed on the UQD MSDS sheet, no matter how many other ingredients are listed or the percentage of it in the actual formula, surely it is not good for paint sealants and waxes

The days of normal QD's are over. what we expect from them is constantly moving thus why I machine apply mine and also spray them directly on the surface and walk away

They cure with the paint and leave a sealant coating

Plus they do windows, leather, rubber, vinyl and almost any other surface

16. gio

gio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I agree :applause2:.
    Autoglym is a very fine product. I used SRP with or without machine and very satisfied.
    I willing to try Ultra Deep Shine, have anyone ever tried it?

17. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

AG has fallen behind somewhat in recent years

18. Cleaning Fool

Cleaning Fool Birth of a Detailer

Instead of the morning newspaper Im reading this thread. Interesting reading material. I love when we refer to products as "junk"..LOL..Cant say I have had too many bad products over the years. Mothers Back to Black-awful, used it once tossed it in the trash. Waffle Weave drying towels, not impressed at all. Half a car and its done. I should have returned the one I bought from Obssesive Detail, worst $14 bucks I've ever spent. Don't waste your money. Autoglym Glass Polish, flashes quicker than a 35mm camera, no work time. Save your money.

19. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

i LOVE the fluffers..

second i really do like phil's towels at DD

third the same towels you pointed at on obsessive details look identical to the fluffers..all the obsessive MF's are from CG..they all look identical..cg towels are about the best i have found.. they definitely are better than cobra imo.

20. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Im jus finish playing with HD-UNO and I hate it, can't wait to use it up on budget details