Did anyone ever.........

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by POPPAJ, Mar 26, 2008.

1. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

...give any thought to a do-it-yourself detailing center. Where everything, except the car, is supplied on a package basis. I was thinking of something to keep me close to the hobby I love in retirement, but know that my body couldn't take it for long if I did it all myself. Could this work out or am I-:deadhorse:

Your input would be appreciated!:graduation:

2. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

hhhmm ... way to think outside of the box. I will have to give that some thought.
    Heck just do what Toto did and get a lift :giggle:

3. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Mmmmmm, scissor lift.

4. POPPAJ

Giving this a lot of thought. All top notch equipment, Polishers,extractors,mf,polishes ,sealents,waxes,foam guns,filtered water,clean compressed air etc.

We all know this stuff costs a ton if you're starting out. Packages from just a wash to all out correction.

Ps-no rotarys

5. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

If you lived in an area that had the population to support this kind of venture I think its a good idea. Would someone be there during business hours for direction and tips? I believe your onto a pretty good thing here....

6. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Sounds like a good / original idea to me.

I don't know how many people would visit you for the high end stuff. I know a lot of people wouldn't mind doing a wash themselves...but I think the majority of our clients don't want to spend the time detailing their own car. Those who do don't really know how. Maybe you could have instructions.

7. POPPAJ

I see this as being a Detailing Dojo with myself as the Grand Master, so to speak. I would wear a hooded robe(microfibre of course)and dispense my wisdom and knowledge with ease. I have found out that you don't need to know everything,just more than the person asking the question. I think that car clubs and attendees at car shows would have some interest in being able to get the results of a $300-$400 detail for a fraction of the cost. Most of these folks are great wrenches, but don't have a clue when it comes to detailing. When I go to a show I'm asked if I'm entering the show and thats with my daily driver. How about the Father/Son experience and the local street racers? You would need population density and good marketing for sure.

Still thinking/dreaming.
    Your ideas?

8. boogiejoe

boogiejoe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I think this idea has potential. Within a large population of course. You would have a high turnover ratio, once people learned and started doing this with their own tools. Also the people that don't do well, probably won't return either. I do think the idea has merit, and could be developed into something enjoyable and somewhat profitable.

9. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Where do you live PoppaJ?

10. POPPAJ

North of Detroit. Close to the richest county in the state.

Ps-I know nothing of Kwami!

11. POPPAJ

Thats the thing, very few will go out and purchase a Flex with all the pads, a mytee extractor, Menzerna polishes, high end sealants and waxes along with brushes, power washer,micro fibre and every thing else. Few would pay over $2000.00 to detail their vehicle twice a year. That's why it will be important to offer only high end equipment and products, the initial cost to buy their own will blow them away. When on the other hand they can rent the best equipment and receive top-end products with instruction for a small fraction of the purchase cost. They end up with a high end detail which can easily be maintained for 4-6 months. They can't help but do well-NO ROTARYS! Only in the hands of the MASTER with the appropriate amount of mystery. It is most important to offer products they don't see at the local auto parts store, even the micro fibre, only if it's a different color! Those red micro fibre from DD are a good example-never seen those in stores.

More ideas PLEASE!:computer:

12. POPPAJ

Thoughts,suggestions,ideas??

13. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

If you lived here, I'd quit my job and go in on it with ya (ok, not really but it's the thought that counts). I think that mobile detailing would have to play a big part in the beginning, then promoting some family days to get people in to the "detailports".

14. POPPAJ

Yup, run Mothers Day and Fathers Day specials for May and June. Just the time of year in Michigan to do a full detail after a long hard winter.

Don't think many of the Mobile Detailers care too much about this idea, although I doubt that it would cut into their business much.