Diaries of a Dealership Detailer...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by billyblooshoes, Nov 10, 2009.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

:yikes::yikes::yikes: He defenetely is out of his mind!!!!!

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

suscribed. ROFL. omg. can i come to work there?
    how much they pay for that kinda job?

3. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

yes he was. totally insane. and the BEST PART about my old boss. he actually OWNED a "detail shop" as well, located in Philadelphia. boggles my mind.

sure if you can stand the occasional insanity. depends on your experience as a detailer and whatnot how much they pay you. the raelly funny part is since we're a porsche/audi dealer, we wont "hire just anyone to work on our cars, we need people with eperience". i heard someone say that once.

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

really? how did they hire those 2 idiots?

i dont have much experience since i started about 2 month ago. but id say i learned a lot. deff know more then those 2 idiots
    im sure you seen my detailing threads

5. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Billy ... great stories.

I love when things like this happen at work. All the idiots around you make you look so good that you become indispensable.

I'm glad someone is enjoying their job ... lol

6. billyblooshoes

lol yeah i try and thinok of it that way as well.

7. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

i wish I could get in there. we would dominate that place. oh let the ball-busting begin! and the sex roll out the door!

8. billyblooshoes

Captains log: around 1300 hours today.

My boss was working on a used vw golf we got traded in. It was in bad shape all around. The exterior was filthy and the car was covered head to toe with mold spores or "shotgun mold". I advised him to clay as much off as he could, and then used IPA and a mf to wipe away the residual residue left behind. Instead, he opted to use a wool pad and compound to remove the hundreds of spores. Hey, he's the boss so I just let him do his thing. Then he does his usual and finishes down the car with a light cut wool pad and a finishing polish. He then proceeds to start telling me how the paint is now fresh and needs to be sealed. I'm thinking ok sure man. Go ahead and seal it. Well he starts telling me how he's going to apply via machine. Instead of grabbing the PC, he grabs a dewalt and another wool pad and proceeds to "seal" the car this way. FML.

9. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

take a wool pad to his face

10. billyblooshoes

He probably shaves with a wool pad. He's so old school and doesn't believe in foam pads. His cars do come out looking nice though, until he pulls them outside in the sun.

11. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

hah what an idiot.

12. Wes_R

Wes_R Birth of a Detailer

This thread is hilarious!!! Please please please take pics next time.

13. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

This thread is a DB Top 5! Complete with the Captain's Log and all heading.... EPIC.... :mounty:

14. billyblooshoes

many more crazy things have happened since i last udated this, but as the insanity is a daily ritual, its hard for me to keep track of it all. well today my boss tried to "help me" by attempting to remove road paint on a porsche cayenne with spray wax and a plastic razorblade. for the past week, i keep catching him using the god damn wash mitts to clean wheels with. that shit just drives me crazy. i mean WTF, we have two buckets dedicated for wheel cleaning, with brushes, sponges, and demoted wash mitts that are also dedicated to be used on wheels only, but he for some reason keeps using the nice clean wash mitts on wheels. it drives me crazy. and then he'll just dunk them and go ahead and use them for the wash.

oh and i caught him the other day using a wash sponge straight from the wssh bucket to WIPE DOWN the interior of a car we had just got traded in. i had pics on my blackberry of the dash and door panels all covered in soap suds but i accidentally deleted it...

15. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Billy ... I definitively see a promotion pretty soon if the madness continues ... lol. Hope you are doing well!!

G

16. billyblooshoes

man i wish, but the worst part is im the ONLY one that sees anything wrong with whats going on. no one has a clue about proper detailing. i just my my own business most of the time honestly.
    i was telling a service writer some instructions to relay to a customer who we had just applied a teflon sealant system on their car. cliffs notes, im telling him to tell them not to run the car through an automated wash which will strip the protection etc. the service writer cuts me off mid-sentence and exclaims "wait, who said using the car wash was a bad thing?!" i replied with "anyone who's not an idiot".

oh and you posting reminded me about the R8 debacle i told you about at phils. for those who didnt hear the story:

we sold an R8 to a guy, and i was supposed to prep it and PDI it before delivery. well i pulled the car in i realized it was just about time for me to leave, and i almost died knowing i had to leave the R8 there for the hacks to "prep". well i came in the next day and as i was setting up, i hear the beautiful symphony that is the R8s exhaust note coming close. the sales manager had brought the car around to us because the new owner had brought it back. long story short, turns out one of the idiots completely doused the entire interior with an aerosol spray dressing (silicone based). everything insdie the car was shiny and slippery and greasy. i questioned them about why they would feel moved to "dress" the MATTE finish of a brand new interior, especially on a car like the R8. the explanation was that the seats and dash appeared dull to them. NO SHIT SHERLOCK. its MATTE LEATHER. and its supposed to STAY THAT WAY.

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

hahaha. what hacks. too bad i couldnt get a job there, and we could overthrow the department.

18. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

how about you fire them and hire us?

19. billyblooshoes

well, unfortunately im not the boss. if i was, none of this would be going on and i would hire all new people.

20. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Billy keep us postes with ur diaries just love it!!!