Detailed my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by pecka13, May 23, 2011.

1. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

Hey everyone, my name is Ignas,
    I finally got the chance to detail my own car for once this past weekend. I regularly work in a body shop but my dad and a bunch of his buddies took a trip to lake Erie for a fishing trip. I was alone in the shop for 3 days so I decided that I would tackle this huge job.
    I used to have a 2002 Honda S2000 but honestly became sick of driving the darn thing around town, overall a bad car for a student. So I posted it up on craigslist, and this trade came up. The SE-R came from Minessota, and looked to have been washed with sandpaper it whole life.
    Here are nice pictures to show you that.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    Rear bumper has been repainted, and it is still scratched up.
    [​IMG]

Overall, the car did not have very soft paint. It was quite hard, and I was hitting it with a very strong combo. Almost half the car has been repainted and that paint was very hard to correct. But overall a nice finish, matching orange peel, but deep rids.

Products used:
    Surf City wash
    Clayed using Clay Magic Fine
    3M rubbing compound
    Uber Orange pad
    Menz. Super Finish
    M205. where I wasn't happy with the finish
    Uber Blue and Green pads to refine
    3M green painters tape
    Makita
    Tires got Megs Endurance (huge mistake)
    Invisible glass
    Adams In and Out spray for the engine bay

After the wash
    [​IMG]
    Hard to see, but there are a ton of rids in the paint, some way too deep to get out.

After compounding i was left with this.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the 3M compound was really tough and nice to work with, but left holograms everywhere

Hitting it with Super finish and Uber green left a lot of holograms. So i switched to Uber blue and 205 and was left with this
    [​IMG]

Car got a layer of Colli 845 for this finish :) enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I achieved a level finish, which is what I wanted out of all of this. I am happy with the results and now thinking of selling the car to get something different for the summer.

Questions, comments, and concerns are very welcome.

Also have a questions. For IPA wipedowns after a finishing polish, i was left with stains from the alcohol. my mixture is dilluted, but I am thinking it is too strong. If I wipe down after 205 the finish looks dull again as if it was just compounded but the swirls under the lights are reduced. Is this what everyone experiences.
    Thinking I should put more water in my IPA solution to still wipe down the oils but not dull the paint. Please someone clarify this for me.

Thank you for looking.