Decent OTC wheel cleaner?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by GDAL, Sep 1, 2009.

1. badmatt

badmatt Birth of a Detailer

castrol superclean cut 1:1 for me... honestly it work and only needs like 30 second dwell time and its cheap... on painted wheels on bare aluminum I wouldn't use it.

2. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

For what it's worth, AutoZone is having a sale on the Eagle One A2Z Wheel Cleaner, $3.99 for the 24oz bottles until the 23rd of the month or something. I think I am going to pickup quite a few bottles because at that price it comes out to like a little over $20 a gallon.

3. 2TONLT1

2TONLT1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

on my way to get some now lol

Just went to az and picked up two bottles of the a2z.Has anybody ever tried the a2z in the areosol can? Didn't know they made it in that until tonight

[​IMG]

4. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Just got myself some ZEP Citrus Degrease, gonna give that a try and compare it to my Simple Green All purpose cleaner

5. Emile

The aerosol product is nice if you don't like pump-sprayers. Just hold the button down and it sprays an even coat. I prefer the regular pump sprayer for more control of how much product I use, but at the very least it's worth a try since it's still the exact same thing just in aerosol form.

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I tried both Eagle A2Z wheel cleaner and Zep Citrus this weekend. I was impressed with both products ... you can't beat paying 10 bucks for a gallon of Zep.

7. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

I use Zep Citrus aswell, if you're having some caked on brake dust Zep's Purple degreaser is crazy strong and will take almost anything off.

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Yep!!!

9. Emile

What dilution ratios are guys using for the Zep Citrus Degreaser?

10. CleanE60

CleanE60 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I like Meg's wheel cleaners, just make sure you get the appropriate one. E.g. chrome, aluminum, etc.

11. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I used 5 parts water / 1 part degreaser for interior cleaning and lsp removal ... no issues. Make sure you rinse it off good

12. Emile

Thanks, Gdal. I use it 4:1 on wheel wells and it works great. :thumb:

13. kc1337

Which is the purple cleaner? And what dilutions for it?

14. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

I agree. I use car wash soap when my wheels are relatively clean. The soap breaks down a lot of the scum -- a boar's hair brush is great too.

OTC - simple green is pretty good.

15. 2TONLT1

2TONLT1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Whcih Zep would you guys recommend as the best over all? I am going to purchase some tomorrow since i just ran out of eagleone atoz and looking for something that i can use in it's place that will last longer and is affordable

16. Emile

Go with the Zep Citrus Degreaser or Zep All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser Concentrate. Zep Citrus has pH of 11-12 which is kind of high but has the benefit of citrus to help with cleaning power. The Zep All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser has a pH of 8.5-9.5 which is pretty awesome...I bet you could use that straight or lightly diluted on all wheel surfaces.

I would dilute the Zep Citrus 4:1 for wheels.

17. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

the areosol can is great as it actually sprays a foam. a2z is also unreal at getting brown off tires. when i had a 4Runner i liked the can cause i could put a nice coat on the tires with out a lot of waste to pull the brown out. literally 0 scrubbing too. it just runs off like you see p21s do for wheels.

18. Tripleskate

Tripleskate Virgin Detailer

This is a bit old but I thought I oughta toss in my .02$. I have a dedicated set of "winter" wheels which are OEM wheels for my car that I painted (so, sanded to bare aluminum and painted over; aka "delicate finish"). They seem to pack in the grime like no other, sudzer/sprayer and wheel sponge wouldn't get the grime off. Claying was taking too long/wasting clay, so I started shuffling through my other options. I wheeled up my cart full of various car cleaning supplies and went through everything that's wheel/finish cleaning related. I finally came up to these:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing they're the same thing as the green bottle is rather old and the orange one I had just recently bought. They are both non-acidic, easily available OTC and really get the job done. So far, they've performed flawlessly on my winter set, and a Friend's OEM finish wheels. I have no doubts that they would perform equally well on aftermarket wheels.

19. kc1337

I've been using the Zep Citrus 4:1 for wheels, my only concern is the lack of cling. Love the smell though.