Dashboard help, residue removed now no shine

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by ENDEE666, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

So I just picked up a 2003 Volvo XC70. Interior was mostly mint except a residue from duct tape or something on the dash. So on instinct, I used Goo Gone. It was VERY difficult, so I fear I got a bit too rough with it. The adhesive is gone, but so is the shine in that spot where I had to scrub hard. It doesn't feel as slick as the rest either, it feels like the shell/coating is gone there.

How can I restore this?? Thanks in advance!

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Can you post pics? so we can see it to help you.

3. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

You may have knocked down the dye on the trim

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

4. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

I think a sealant might be what I need. I used a terry towel & a kitchen sponge. It seams like it lost the 'crust' or outer coat where it's now dull. It's softer there, where the rest has sort of a shell. And it lost the sheen the rest has. The dash is padded, not like hard plastic. Pretty sure it's vinyl but it may be leather. The seats & door trim inserts are leather. Pic below, taken with phone. The area around it still looks wet, but it should help you guys get the idea...
    [​IMG]

5. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

Better pic below. It looks like it maybe did dillute the dye, but there is a noticeable 'feeling' difference. The bulk of the dash has a smooth finish and this area feels softer, almost like rubber. More grippy. I think its the finish as well as color. How can I fix both issues?
    [​IMG]

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Dude, you literally removed some of the dye...

7. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

I get that now. As well as some of the texture. The question is how can I restore the color & texture?

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Should be able to have it redyed without issue. You could do it yourself as well.

9. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

That is what I want to do. But how & with what? I want it to match. I want to do it myself, not "have it redyed". I have done a lot of detailing, just never this type of issue. So I am capable, just need to know what products. I almost rather it was paint, where I could compound, polish & seal and be done..

10. ENDEE666

ENDEE666 Virgin Detailer

Update - I used some Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner I had laying around. Applied a few times. It's much better now, but still there. The color seems fine. I need to seal it or something so it has that sealed shine like the rest. Any ideas??