Dang it... Burned though my first clear coat.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by reefer_bob, Jan 1, 2008.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

:booboo:

'95 Honda Civic EX, original paint, Flex on 5, Lake County Yellow Pad, Menzerna Power Gloss.

There was an area on the trunk that had some bad scratches. I got a little too agressive on the area. All said and done, it ended up about a silver dollar sized area.

The paint was just so thin... <sigh>

I took some before and after pictures, I'll post them later. I'm too upset with myself at the moment to download 'em.

:(

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i made the same booboo on my other truck i used optimum compound and a yellow agressive cutting pad in one area trying to remove an outline in the paint left from a decal and i buffed it like crazy with my p/c and went through the clear.woops:shakehead:

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh man sorry to hear that :itsok: but Hondas have really soft clearcoat and very thin too. If you find a low spot and...well like you found it you can burn through the clearcoat...but what is surprising that you went through it with the Flex :confused: now that is very interesting.

I'm looking forward to the pictures reefer_bob and I'm very sorry to hear about the little booboo buddy. But you know what they say, what dosen't kill you only makes you stronger :comfort: life is all about learning from our mistakes :hippie:

4. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

did the paint work on a 98 328i today. They had previously had it detailed. The guy used a wool pad. 2 years later i was pulling wool fibers out of the cracks.

He blistered the paint in several areas. All it took for me to crack it was 1000rpm green pad and sip.

5. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

92-95 Civics have ultra thin clear. I have worked on two, and I thought they had tinted clears, but apparently only certain colours do.

If it makes you feel any better Civics of that era tend to have clear coat failure on the roof, hood and trunk.

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

man that sucks!!

Sorry to hear that.. hopefully this was on one of your cars and not a customer!!!

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Damn! Hope it all works out...

8. reefer_bob

How true. It's all good.

Here are some pictures

Trunk Before:
    [​IMG][
    Trunk After:

[​IMG]

9. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

that pic is not awesome.
    is the spot where you burned through is right at the corner of the light?

10. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Oh well, shit happens. Itll happen to everyone sooner or later. Like Nica said, just gotta learn from it.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

reefer_bob thank you for posting the pictures :thumb: I'm sure you'r not happy with what happend but at the same time, I'm sure you have made a discovery and learned from it. Also (not sure if it will help but my intensions are only good :hippie:) but you have also tought others what to look for or what not to do wile they venture to polishing....like I said I'm just trying to make you feel better and to thank you for posting the pictures :peace:

12. richy

richy Guest

It will happen to everyone sooner or later. I find when you get too concerned with a small area you can be asking for trouble. I want to buy a paint gauge this year to know how much I have to play with when I have a trouble area.

13. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

don't feel bad i think some have done this once or twice before..don't ask me how i know..

but,i'm not sure why you felt the need to use such an agressive combo..PG alone is like rocks in a bottle let alone using an agressive cuting pad..

14. reefer_bob

Thanks all. Yes, the pictures aren't that great. Yes the spot is at the corner of the light.

I'm better now. Just upset at the time as I think most all would be.

Yep, great learning experience.

Another reason I posted was to help others... We can't all report back beautiful pictures of perfect details... Everyone has at least one, if not multiple horror stories of things that have gone wrong.

15. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

this is way you should start with least aggressive combo and work you way up if needed.
    And you def wouldnt need power gloss on honda paint!!!
    as said lesson learnt. And invest in a ptg if you are going to be doing correction work especially if you are doing this on other people vehicles or if you do this for a living guy's.

16. reefer_bob

I just realized something... I have a typo... I wasn't using the LC Yellow pad... I was using the Orange pad. Not quite as agressive... :)

I started with the Menz IP on a Green LC pad. Steped up to Orange, then went to PG.

I overworked the area, plain and simple.

:meditation:

17. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

yikes..u did that with a flex?

i am also familiar with the fact that honda paint is rather thin...

atleast you know now how to work aorund your situation...usually sometimes i put my hand or fingers on a the area i just polished n check how hot it is.

Its alrite, atlesat its not on a customers ferrari rite?

thanks for the pix, i know what to look for now, hope everythign works out!

18. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for the informaiton! We can all learn from this!

19. Z06-Goose

Z06-Goose Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sorry to hear that man. That's one of my biggest fears, to do that on a customers car
    By looking at the picture it doesn't seem to be that bad, though...

20. distrbd

distrbd New Member

Reefer_bob ,I'm probably the one you helped the most,I own a Civic and your posts have confirmed that my inhibitions were not unfounded.
    I have always been concerned about using my orange LC pad with an aggressive polish.

I have had light scratches on the soft paint of my Civic and now I know for sure I should use polishes with low to med.abrasives and mainly white and LC pads,(which I've done with great success) :mounty: