DA Polisher burning through backing plates and pads

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by BrendanS, Jul 4, 2012.

1. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Slow your roll! :)

With the GG6 I'm usually on speed 3.5-4.5 for correction and speed 3 or lower for finishing. Anything over speed 5 on the GG6 is likely going to burn up pads and backing plates.

2. Dr Oldz

Dr Oldz Birth of a Detailer

I don't have a GG polisher but......

Is the BP spinning freely?
    Is a washer required between the BP and the polisher?

3. cleung

cleung Any Rag Vehicle Washer

sorry for the ignorance but can you explain why I might need a washer between the backing plate and polisher?

I put a mark on the backing plate so that I can make sure it is spinning, but I was running at higher speeds.

4. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

The washer will prevent the vibration to further loosen or tighten the backing plate into the polisher. You wouldn't want to leave out the washer, i did once with a carpet brush and the thread was slightly eroded after some extensive abuse.

5. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Talking with Mr KBM I see.................. Guys you need to slow the speed down.............way down, I just read thru another thread on the .org and a guy wanted to throw his Megs M/F discs AWAY! allow the Mechanical cut of the pad and the product do it's thing.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Bob is right. After talking to Mr KBM, I have slowed down the speed, especially on my POS Griots Garbage machine, to no more than 4.5 -5 for polishing. Allow the engineering built into the newer pads and polishes to work for you. Slower, more consistent arm speed is the key.