CRSpotless worth the $$$ ?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Emile, Mar 24, 2010.

1. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

Again, I point out the reason for buying into a DI unit is for rinsing only, and using the open hose low-flow rate method, for the reasons I've already detailed.
    If you're using ONR in winter to counteract the water freezing, then water spots are not likely to be an issue as there's less heat around to evaporate the water, leaving behind the dissolved mineral content.
    Therefore you're wasting resin usage by pre-rinsing with it.

Also, you've no need to buy a separate TDS, as when the one fitted to the system starts showing more than 0 ppm, you know it's time to refresh it.
    As I've said already, the faster you flow water through the resin, the quicker you use up its capacity.

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Totally worth it!
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't even want to imagine detailing huge trucks without it! You can even see it in the back ground!

3. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

If you live in an area with lots of pollen or dust in the air you will get spots even with the CR. If you do live in such an area, rinse with CR then move the car into a garage to dry.

I still do some drying even with the CR because of the pollen issue. If you've seen pollen under a microscope you will be shocked - it looks like a medieval weapon - some kind of spiked ball you'd find on the end of a flail. I don't want these settling on my paint.

4. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

PJS, I did have a huge issue with last winter with pre-rinsing and then bringing the car in for an ONR wash. Water spots still formed on the paint and glass that weren't able to washed off during the ONR wash (and I can do an ONR wash pretty quickly).

I used the DI water to fill up my wash bucket because supposedly it creates more suds with the wash soap. I also noticed that the soapy water was dwelling on the paint forever without drying up. Normally I can barely wash one side of the car without the soap drying up on the vehicle.

sneek, that is a great picture. I would actually need a ladder just to reach the roof of that beast.

5. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

emile ur car is flawless.. very nice work . im impressed!!!

6. PERFECTION

PERFECTION Birth of a Detailer

I rent my DI tanks from a local company that services in my area. they don't take up anymore room then the cr system except they are about twice as tall. they run me $138.00 a set and put out 1200 gallons with a TDS going in at 550. I turn my tanks over once a month but I know others that change them every three months.

7. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

Of course, I've lumped you in with my perception the whole of the US in winter is very British-like weather wise - cold, inclimant, and grey.
    If you're in one the southern states that sees mild sunny weather then, water spotting still causes problems.
    Needless to say, if you find that's the case, you should look at Duragloss Aquawax to remove the mineral deposits, and speak to Optimum to see if they can tweak their formulation to tackle mineral deposits.

That said, why bother with ONR if you're pre-rinsing with water in the first place?
    Surely winter time has less restrictions on water usage than summer?

One alternative to DI's is rainwater - collect it in a water butt, but you'd need to filter it to remove the debris that gets washed down from the gutter.

8. Emile

PJS, trhland (Tom) and I live in NJ and the winters here are fairly harsh, lots of snow, which means tons of salt.

The problem is that when we want to wash, the soap and water dries up on the paint so it's virtually impossible during the few coldest months of the year. ONR in the garage is a great alternative but pre-soaking to remove most of the salt is key to doing an ONR wash without instilling any new scratches and swirls.

9. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

congratulation on the CR unit, I wash n rinse wit it. n jus let the car dry on it's own n clean up my stuff. no need to reach for ww mf anymore. n u can also save on QD as a drying aid.

10. Emile

Thanks, overtime, that sounds great.

I ordered a TDS meter which should be here by Wednesday. This way I can estimate just how many gallons I can expect out of my unit before needing cartridge replacement. I think if I hook up the CR Spotless to my pressure washer, I will have an absolutely killer combo. :headbang:

11. Emile

Good news, my TDS meter came today and my water measured in at only 115 - 125 ppm (took several samples). Even at 125ppm, based on togwt's formula that's still 620 gallons of spotless water per refill. Awesome!!!!!!!! :headbang:

12. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

You are lucky. My area is 400ppm :(

13. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

I just changed the resin on my DIC-20 and finally remembered to run the tap thru the TDS meter before refilling the canisters... 581:help:

I really need to figure out how to hook up my water softener to the CR to get longer life out of the resin....

14. Emile

Sorry to hear that, eyezack and bonehead.

bonehead, do you find that you have to replace your resin often? Or do you just not use it often?

Maybe it's because I just got mine, but I just washed three cars over the week-end using it and I'm loving it.

15. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

More often than I'd like. I wash my car approximately every other week. Think this last batch of resin lasted about 6 or 7 washes. Not good at all....

16. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Hey Ed, didnt realize you are a member here. Definitely need to figure out how to get that thing hooked up to your water softener.
    (Dan from 6speed)

17. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Yup, just trying to learn more from the experts:)
    Think it'll just be easier to get the 'cheaper' resin you pointed out. If it works, that'll be a great option.

18. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, Ill have to order some from there soon.

19. Emile

I must have missed something, what cheaper resin?

20. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

the cheaper mixed bed resin people are getting from some other shop.

Window Cleaning Shop

Half as much as what CRSpotless wants.