I want to buy a good quality cordless screwdriver. Since I'm not a handy man, I don't know much about these power tools & I have promised my wife that I will start doing some handy work at home (& you know all those benefits that come with keeping the wife happy). So, I'm asking the pros who have experience in using cordless screwdrives for some advice, i.e. which one to buy & why. I wwas at Sears & Lowe's today & I saw Makita, Craftsman, DeWalt to name a few & they all seem tools to contend with, but I don't know which one to get. I'm willing to spend in the range of $100.00, maybe a little bit more if I have to. Also, should I opt for a drill instead? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I would go with a cordless drill for sure. I am a fan of Ryobi 18 volt tools. They are sold at home depot. The bonus is that there's alot of attachments that can go with it. At least give it a look before you buy anything else. A great tool at low prices...:thumb:
Thanks for the advice Buddy. Never heard of Ryobi, but what do I know! I'll definitely take a look at Ryobi 18 volt.
I agree with Buddy, the cordless drill is the way to go. Like all battery operated equiptment make sure the battery is totally out of juice before charging it fully.Do this Twice, it will make it last alot longer :cig: If you can wait till Labor Day(2 weeks) Lowes/Home Depot will be having another sale.For $100 you should be able to pick up a decent unit, along with Bits/Accesories :cig:
depends on how ~handy~ you want to be. IMHO, if you are just diddy-daddyling, I would recommend a corded Milwaukee Magnum. Cordless is great, but if you don't use them frequently, your money would be well spent towards a Milwaukee corded. It will last you forever ! If you do plan to use it more often than not, my personal faves for cordless drills would be Panasonic and Makita. Used to love love love the Panasonic lineup, but the new Makitas are great and would pick those up if I had to choose between the 2. QUESTION. Cordless screwdrive and cordless dril is 2 different animals ? Makita has this 10V that is great for using with just screws or my primary tool when working on the car. For drilling holes, 14 volt should do you fine. It's a matter of personal preference, but IMO....a good tool is hard to beat when you need it for the job it needs to do.
A cordless screwdriver and a cordless drill are two different Animals. For example A cordless screwdriver might start at about 7.2 volts and are for small jobs or like you say diddy-daddyling around. I like that saying...:thumb:
Thanks guys for the advice. As for the handy thingy, I will only be using the screwdriver/drill for small projects at home occasionally when needed, could be once a week & could be once a year if you know what I mean. Based on the comments above , maybe I should go for the corded one like Milwaukee Magnum as suggested. I will wait until Labor Day & explore these options..
Dont get a cordless screwdriver, you will one day need to drill something and it will just not have the power to do so, get a cordless drill. Corded is ok for not so common use but I dont like them. Cordless is just more easier and dont have to worry about cords or extension cords. Some options, I have always had good DeWalt but they do cost a little more than you wanna spend. This is a decent one, DeWalt 12 V Compact Drill Kit - DC742KA at The Home Depot Also can use it for cleaning wheels if you get a drill attached wheel cleaner, or a mothers polishing ball...you know just more ideas of how to use it. I am always using mine to clean my aluminum tail pipes.
Thanks agpatel. Check edthe link about DeWalt 12 V Compact Drill Kit - DC742KA at Home Depot & for $139.00, I can live with that.
Upon further thought of this matter. Considering how little you will be using this, why not just pick up a used one at the Pawn Shop :cig:
sorry forgot to type the point ... The point I was trying to make was that while there are numerous advantages for cordless, and if you don't mind the $$$ factor when you need to replace a battery, go all for it. My issue for a person who does need a tool....and for that rare instance where it's hardly used, when you use it the *next time around*, the damm battery won't hold a charge the minute u need to use it. Whereas in a corded tool, the power delivery is always there. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference just like waxes, but IMO if you have the coin, and don't mind buying a new battery when it won't hold a charge, then run with it. However, with $100++ budget in mind, I'd be leaning on a corded unit, some good Quality bits (good bits cost $$ but IMO I would spend money on this) & good screws... I'm always up for a good screeeeew ;-) I like GRk fasteners .