Convertible top cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by pecka13, Jan 20, 2011.

1. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys,
    I had one question i could not find the answer to. And its probably a very noob question but here goes

I have a 2002 S2000, it obviuosly has a convertible top. What is something OTC that i could use to clean it and protect it.
    It just has some dirt on it, something that would wash away with water, but i really want to give it a good scrub. I want to restore that deep deep black look that conv. tops should have.

Wasn't too sure about sponge and soap
    Wasn't too sure about spraying APC on it either.

So if someone could tell me or show me how to take care of my convertible top it would be appreciated.

Also i would like some recommendation for a product that will help bead the water away. Since mine looks like paint with no LSP :)

Thank you.

2. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

I would suggest that you look at the products made by Raggtopp and 303 for convertible tops.

I have used the Raggtopp products and they are great, Raggtopp is the only product endoursed by Hartz., they manufacture most convertible top fabrics that the OEMs use.

3. pecka13

Ok thanks

I know those products. But clear it up please is APC bad for tops?

4. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Apc is typically fine for cleaning the top. Not sure on dilution ratios megs apc plus I would imagine would be around 5 or 6 to 1. 303 aerospace protectant will work good for a protectant.
    Raggtop on the other hand also works great. They have a separate cleaner and protectant.

5. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

Personally I wouldn't use anything not approved by the manufacture. Usually in the owners manual it outlines the cleaning proceedures.

Really the top specific products are not too expensive and once cleaned and treated you don't really need to use anything again until it no longer is beading water.

After the top is cleaned and treated, I usually don't wash the top unless I have to, and don't use any soap unless I have to and it is a mild one. I use a horse hair brush for tops and then rinse well and let dry fully before folding top.

6. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

7. pecka13

He used CG green clean on it. So it is good for cleaning it.

Yesterday i just went over the top with soap and water. Didn't scrub it or anything but it came out fine, nothing too bad was in the material.

I'm gonna get something to protect it today

Thank you for the help.

8. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

My first time detailing a convertible was on a V6 stang with a vinyl top. I used CG GR to get it clean (it was pretty nasty) and several applications of 303 aerospace. I wouldn't recommend using grime reaper though. It sure got the top clean, but it's probably too harsh on it. I ordered some ragg topp and I get better looking results, safer.

9. LuDawg

LuDawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What did you end up doing? I have an '03 S2K and I have both Raggtopp and 303. Both work great. Just make sure to use the one for vinyl tops :)

10. pecka13

i didnt want to use APC on it, just to be safe but im sure its safe. I had Megs and Grime reaper didnt want to try them out tho for some reason. I just used soap on it with a brush. It really came out nice. And i didnt put a protectant on it because i was offered to trade my car for a 2005 Nissan Altime SE-R. So i drove it to Wisconsin, the other guy was from Minessota, and we traded cars.

No more soft top roof. But the SER is black and it is in terrible condition paint wise. I will do a full correction next week i think because this weekend i have to do my Gf's A4.

11. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

+1 for Raggtopp.

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The Haartz Corp (acquired Rode & Schwalenbert that was established for 105 years) the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Wolfsteins Pro-Series RaggTopp ™ Cleaner and RaggTopp ™ Protectant Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products: