Concorso vs. Blau Weiss Premium Blended for BMW Question

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Money2536, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Money2536

Money2536 Virgin Detailer

I think I already know the answer to these questions, but I wanted to be sure before I throw down $300 plus for some wax. I have a Le Mans Blue E92 M3. Would I be better served by buying the specially designed Swissvax Blau Weiss blended for BMW paint or spending the extra money and buying Concorso? Naturally I could use Concorso on my other cars, so that would be an advantage to me.

Another question is that I have been topping Menzerna Powerlock with various waxes I have tried out. I am assuming I would be better putting the Swissvax product directly on the correct paint. Thoughts?

Last question, would you layer the Swissvax products?

Thanks!

2. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Hey,

Although I have not tried Blau Weiss, I would, with out a doubt, recommend Concourso. By far my favorite carnauba wax. I love it even more than Crystal Rock. IMO, the "specially blended" SV waxes for certain car manufacturers is mainly (not "purely") marketing BS. I can't see Blau Weiss being any better than Onyx because they both contain something like 33% carnauba. But, once again. I have not tried Blau Weiss.

Quick question, why do you want a Swissvax wax? Yes, they are fantastic waxes, but so are Victoria Wax, Lusso Oro, Auto Finesse Spirit, and even Collinite 915. Just wanting to know why you are wanting to go with Swissvax. Nothing wrong with them, not judging. Just curious.

As far as topping Menzerna PL with waxes vs just waxing polished paint, it's personal preference. Most sealants will outlast the wax and in fact, I think I would be right in saying that topping a sealant with a wax would be counterproductive. I say that because the wax wouldn't be adhering to the paint, it would be adhering to a layer of sealant and sealants tend to resist stuff from sticking to them. Also, I wouldn't doubt that the solvents in the wax used to make it easier to remove would have a detrimental effect on you sealant.

If you like the look of carnauba waxes but like the durability of sealants, try 1Z Glanz Wax. Awesome stuff. Cheap, easy to use, looks great on every car!

I wouldn't bother layering Swissvax waxes.

3. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

From my understanding -- since I'm not a chemist -- sealants are designed for longer lasting protection and waxes are designed for beauty and better protection from acids (bird poo).

I always lay down a sealant, let it cure at least overnight, 24 hours if I can, and then top it with a wax. Personally I use HD Poxy, but will be using Nitro Seal if I ever get around to fully correcting the wagon.

I don't believe in paint specific waxes, I really think it's just good marketing (since it obviously works). To the best of my knowledge, waxes don't necessarily bond to the paint, they just sit on top or squeeze in between the gaps, while sealants actually lock themselves into place. When sealants are applied correctly (to bare paint) and allowed to cross link ("cure"), the solvents in any wax will not affect them. Vice versa, since waxes don't chemically bond to the paint, they can be affected by the solvents in a sealant.

I think you should add whether or not you've properly polished your car. If not, there's really no point in discussing waxing, as a even a basic polish will make the car look better than the best glaze, wax or sealant.

4. Heck

Heck Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Mez power lock is awesome, apply two coats. first and allow to cure, then the second the next day. PL is slick as anything I have found. Yes I have topped it with wax after another overnight curing for the second coat of PL.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I'm a big supporter of Swissvax. Yes, it's not cheap wax but it's GREAT wax. I've tried them all and I keep coming back to Swissvax. It's a pure joy to use, which is (for me at least) why I enjoy detaling. It's a not a job, I do it to relax or when I want to spend some time to myself. It's not a time where I need to get frustrated.

My brother has an M3 and he maintains it with Blau Weiss. It's such a good wax. Not as good as my Insignis v1 or v2, but if I didn't have any left, I'd opt for that.

6. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

You should consider SV Shield, also a very easy wax to use, and it delivers very good results. The durability is very good. "Concorso" is mainly a show-off wax, which is great for the garage queen, it does look amazing; very rich and wet, but on a daily driver you should expect no more than 2-3 months durability pr. application. Shield is from my experience 6 months +.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

7. Money2536

I'm not exactly sure why I have my heart set on Swissvax. I have simply been using Power Lock and topping with Griot's new wax. I think it is about time to graduate and start using some better stuff.

8. Money2536

I have been properly prepping. Iron Cut, Nano Autoscrub, Menzerna SIP1500(if necessary) w/ Uber Orange or Green Pad, then Menzerna SF4000 w/ Uber Blue, Adam's Wash, IPA wipe down. I just learned I probably shouldn't be using 70/30 IPA. I think I may try using try Menzerna Final Inspection on my next quarterly detail.

9. Money2536

That's good advice. I didn't think I needed to let a sealant cure.

10. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Ive had concourso on my hood since June and its been holding up very well. Some normal degradation, but still beads and sheets