Compressor or Metro?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by artemis53, Feb 25, 2013.

1. udmbrian

udmbrian Virgin Detailer

I have an air compressor. However, what item(s) (hose? anything else than a hose to filter air?) should I buy to dry my car? Where can I buy them?

2. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

All you need with the compressor to dry a car is the compressor, a hose and some type of blow gun with a good non-marking tip in case you touch the car with it, you don't want to scratch or mark any surface.

This can be anything from rubber [may still mark however] to any other material that you just do the old "wrap in electrical tape" trick...

If you are truly concerned about the possibility of blowing anything from inside the tank [moisture, or in cases, rust-water or acidic-water] be sure to get an in-line filter for the hose to collect these.

All of these things, you should be able to buy anywhere that sells compressors...home depot, sears, etc.

M K J likes this.
  3. M K J

M K J New Member

Is a compressor better at drying a car than a side kick or leaf blower?

4. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Personally, I have used a leaf blower, and a compressor, and neither do the same job as my shop vac.

The leaf blower I thought was just plain crap, it did not move the water around [maybe because the car had just been decon stripped with dawn and clay] and the compressor moves stuff really nice, but just not enough at one time.

My shop vac on the other hand I feel is the best of both...I kept the compressor as it does have its strengths and uses, but I just simply returned the leaf blower, I have no use for it as I see it.

I would go with a dedicated dryer like the metros [which I have not used yet] or just go get a nice shop vac, attach the hose with a reducer to the blower end, make sure the hose is completely clean, only used for blowing air, and have a very good filter installed inside to not get anything on the paint, that or just buy a seperate shop vac and hose ONLY for blowing cars dry.

5. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Air compressor! Way more versatile.