Coating applicators, what are you using?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Meticulous-Detail, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Curious what everyone is using to apply coatings, I have read that c quartz suede sheets and the c quartz applicator block is the way to go, or just the cheap yellow foam applicators and toss after use? Which option/method uses the least amount of product and spreads the coating evenly?

2. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Carpro foam applicator block + MF suede applicator here

acommonsoul, GDAL and tdekany like this.
  3. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I use the Uber yellow foam pad.

4. Meticulous-Detail

Anyone try the new Lake Country Coating Applicator?
    [​IMG]

09e93blu likes this.
  5. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Cheapie yellow round foam sponge. Use and either toss or use on wheels, exhaust or other grunt duties.

6. 09e93blu

09e93blu Virgin Detailer

I just received (2) of the Lake Country apps yesterday from AG. I think they'll work just fine with my OC2.0. The yellow foam is pretty dense, which means it shouldn't absorb too much product. But soft enough to work on curved areas. I also want to try wrapping a small suede MF towel around the applicator; to see how that works. I understand that CQ guys use those towels.

7. PRicci09

PRicci09 Virgin Detailer

The small circular makeup sponges work well.

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I used to use the standard small diameter yellow foam sponges that everyone sells.

I stumbled onto the Tuffshine foam applicators when I started getting their tire coating and these thick, rectangular, soft, dense, babies are the best I have ever used for Opticoat, Sonax Polymer Net Shield, etc.. I like that they are thick enough to grip easily, can get around any angle easily, dense so that they absorb very little, and inexpensive so that I can throw away if necessary and not think about it.. They are way tougher than the yellow circular ones and I love that they dont absorb anything like the yellow ones do...

TuffShine also makes a cleaning sponge that is absolutely awesome too. Dont buy any of these, so I can keep loading up my stash, ok ?? :)

Dan F

9. Meticulous-Detail

The orange tuff shine applicator sponges for around 1.49?

Stokdgs likes this.
  10. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I second this. I have not tried anything that works better than this combo when using any coatings.

Tried corner of MF towel, make up pad, traditional yellow wax applicator. This stuff doesn't even come close.

11. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Meticulous --

Yes, those are absolutely awesome for applications of anything... They are tough enough for tires, but gentle enough to not scratch when applying a really nice, product like Sonax Polymer Net Shield..

Dan F

12. Meticulous-Detail

Thanx for the info guys

13. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Used foam apps for OC forever, but on a whim tried a big MF applicator. Glides beautifully and noticed no extra product usage.