Cleaning Windows

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Solidsnake, May 20, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I don't, although it's on the very lengthy list of things that I covet. If the IPA doesn't work, I'll try one of the stronger APC-type cleaners I've got, and then follow that up with some Sprayway.

Glass is probably - no, definitely - my least favorite part of detailing. I know it's got to be perfect, but I still hate it. :lol:

2. Drsuce

Drsuce Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Im having a similar problem with the inside of the rear window on my mustang! however the smudges are only noticable under florescent lights.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Technique
    I usually advocate spraying car care products on to a towel and not directly onto the surface being detailed. The exception to this is when cleaning glass, rather than letting the cleaner soak into the towel, which results in insufficient product as a large majority is absorbed by the towel, better results will be achieved by soaking the dirt / grease residue on the glass surface.

Drying Pattern
    Use a different drying pattern for interior / exterior glass surfaces (i.e. horizontal for interior and vertical for exterior) utilizing this technique you can easily determine the location of any streaking.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

4. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

This may be plastic/vinyl out-gassing.

5. E-Money

E-Money Birth of a Detailer

Anyone ever try the non WW glass towels? They have no pockets and you can find them on sites such as detailed image.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Windshield Haze or ‘Fog’

The vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain plasticizers, these low molecular weight compounds maintain semi-rigid vinyl’s flexibility. The vinyl used in modern vehicle interiors vent (out-gassing) these are the plasticizers evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) Crack open vehicle windows when parked to allow the gasses to vent.

UV and heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles a/c system results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces. (See glass Cleaning Process)

7. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Sorry, I meant waffle weave mf cloth...

8. scottBT

scottBT Birth of a Detailer

some new cars over here had this.
    seemed to be some sort of mist that was a glue over spray, i found that carefully scraping with a blade removed it then a quick wipe with a solvent cleaner and then clean the glass as per.:thumb:

as for products etc a lot is down to the cloth and the way you work with the glass.
    ive found that cleaning the glass in general then finishing off working vertically on both sides with 100% cotton cloth that has been boiled in water to de-lint and sterilise it leaves the glass perfect everytime.
    a lot of the time i use a mildly wet leather and a couple of these cotton cloths ( one for working one for finishing ) and if that doesnt work i use a solvent based window cleaner.:thumb: