Class A Motor Home

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Buddy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Guys, I need some help please!!! I'm Detailing a 40 foot Class A Motor Home. Today ended my third full day. On one side the oxidation was very heavy. I did get all the oxidation off. When I went back to do a second step I noticed that all the oils from the wax were soaking in. The shine just didn't take. I'm thinking that this is a gelcoat failure but still I really need to step up here and try to the best I can and make it look better. I don't know the right question to ask. It is a 1998 - Newmar - Country Air. :shrug:

2. Buddy

Guys, I need some help please!!!:shrug:

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Wish I could help but I've never polished out a motor home :confused: I know 911 has though, hopefully he will join in and share some of his experiances.

I am however, looking forward to the pictures :cheerl: :cheerl: you can do it :giterdone: :support:

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

First things first Buddy. Are you sure that its gelcoat or is it base -clear? The 40 footer I just did was base-clear. Either way, if the wax is soaking into the finish it means its going to need a major resurrection to repair it. What did you use to polish it the first time? Can you post a pic or two?

5. Buddy

The owner and I talked about this.He pulled out his owners manual and it does say gel coat. I quess every couple years or so he have to re-do the gel coat on front and back of the rig. I used system one X3 and a green edge pad. I'm so glad I used a water base product. The pad would load up every two passes so I would only get four passes per pad. before I would have to wash the pad.By four passes I mean two feet across by maybe twelve inches down.Then I used Mothers power wax to the second step only because I had nothing else in hand.I had to by a new makita 9227 so choices are very low at this point.If you do have any suggestions. I will have to make a purchase to fix this and make it right.As far as pictures go I can only try because I don't know how to do that yet.I will try though.

Thanks for trying to help

6. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

Feel your pain. I just did my own (just purchased a 2003 32'). Exactly same experiences as you. It was very frustrating to gum the pad up so quickly with oxidation. I finally went very aggressive yellow pad (wool gummed up way too fast even with spurring) and Optimum Compound. Followed with XMT #3 orange to get out all of the marring. Applied Collinite 885 with PC/red pad. A little splotchy on the side that got all of the sun but not bad. I worked on it off and on for 12 days. A lot of work your facing. A popular RV store Camperland gets $13 a foot for what your doing and almost everything is extra $$ (like wheels, slideouts, etc).

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Hi Buddy. I'm not familiar with system one X3. Is it a polish or a compound? you will need to go over it with a compound first( I use Menzerna Power Gloss) to get rid of the heavy oxidation. Follow that up with a medium polish like Menzerna Intensive Polish or Super Intensive polish to get rid of the swirls left by the compound. By then your Class A should be looking awesome and you can apply any wax you want to finish. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you've got a big job ahead of you. I'll keep checking back if you have any other questions.

8. Buddy

Thats the thing I'm facing is all the (splotchy)ness on the sunny side.Thank you for sharing I really did need to hear what your experience was.As far as product goes I'm still working on that.Oh-ya at 13 a foot I could retire early...

9. Buddy

System one X3 is a one step polish cleaner not the right product for this job but it did do O-kay.Please do not tell ASPHALT ROCKET he is against these one step products. They are for hacks!!!Sorry ROCKET.The thing of it is it does appear that all the oxidation is gone.I can't seem to get anymore off but an expert detailer told me thats why the wax in soaking in.That makes so much sense to me.my inexperience is stopping me from getting out the yellow pad because I only that stuff I have right now is mentioned above.probably the reason why I can't get any further.Thank you...:worship2: it's kinda cappy up here today so I have the day off.Thats an excuse my arms are killing me I can barely move them.

ASPLALT ROCKET,I soon as I can afford to buy the products you told me buy.I will no longer be a hack.I promise

10. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

The wax is soaking in because the oxidation is still on the paint. A paint cleaner to remove the oxidation will probably be your best bet, followed up with a polish or wax, depending on how you are feeling :). It's the same with a SS paint car with oxidation, you'll want to remove the oxidation (paint cleaner) and then your normal polishing routine. That way when you go to polish, the oxidation won't gum up your pads and hinder the polishing step.

11. Buddy

budman3, you are making this sound like it is going to be doable before October fisrt when this rig pulls out for FLA.Can I ask what paint cleaner you are refering to?Is this just a WOWO product.I think I'm starting to feel a little bit better.I was just feeling a little beatin.thanks budman3:worship2:

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No I am not a big fan of the aio. But like I told you through the pm's that you did not get all the oxidation off. The paint cleaner isnt going to get all of it off, you will have to keep compounding/polishing to remove it. Sounds like you have some more fun ahead of you.:thumb: Buddy, I never called you hack. You just need to get updated thats all, and you came to the right forum for great info and help when needed.

13. Buddy

As always Asphalt Rocket you're right.I should have know better.let the fun begin.

14. Buddy

I did get some pictures of the motor home today. I will say they are mediocre at best and mediocre is spelled right by the way.I don't know how to post them. If anyone wants to tell me how. I would be deeply indebted to that person or persons.

Thank you very much,
    David :thumb:

15. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

I use an account on photobucket that I upload pics to. Then you can click on 'Direct Link' for the picture you want to place in your post. Go to the advanced tab when you write a post and you will find an icon at the top called 'Insert Image', click that. then place your cursor in the field and right click and paste.

Before you submit it, test it with a preview, and you should be set to go. Seems most message boards are set up like that now adays.

[​IMG]

16. Buddy

17. Buddy

18. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

Not bad Buddy

Remember.... carriage return, carriage return.

[​IMG]

19. Buddy

20. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

from my expirences with gel coat. it took 7 days to polish out only the top part of the bow of a 38' boat. I used a wool pad and the heaviest compund 3m makes and finish off with another compund and swirl mark remover. fiinished very nicely. you couls also you a paint cleanser before wax so it can soak up the oils.