Chemical Guys Citrus Wash

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by wagonproject, Oct 13, 2009.

1. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Is this a new soap?

[​IMG]

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash is their most concentrated paintwork cleaning shampoo. Simply add one ounce per gallon of water to create a paint safe shampoo formula that can remove the sealant and wax on your paint. Your washing bucket will quickly fill up with tons of suds that makes washing very safe and easy. Having a paintwork cleaning shampoo around is critical for any detailer who wants to start off their detail with a fresh surface. Trying to use a clay bar and polish over old sealant and wax will reduce the effectiveness of each of those steps. Additionally if you want to make sure you get the absolute most out of your sealant or wax wash the surface with the Citrus Wash before hand so the surface is totally bare. This allows the sealant to form a tight bond with the surface and give you longer lasting protection. As most top quality detailers know the real shine really comes from your prep work and starting off with the right shampoo is extremely important. Don't risk getting sub par results, get the shampoo you need for a proper detail.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Looks like there citrus wash and clear but more concentrated for stripping were as the other is intended for use as maint wash. Have not seen it around, prob have it in there store for a while just not on there site.

3. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

n00b question alert! OK, so if I wanna start with a clean slate and strip all previously-applied waxes/sealants (in my case for Winter sealant application prep) this would be the stuff to wash my car with as my first step. Afterwards, once my Winter Collinite sealant has been applied, I'd put this particular CG product away till Spring and use something like ONR as my maintenance Winter wash (which will not disrupt my layer or Collinite 845 protectant). Do I have this right? Thanks.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Citrus washes, APC solutions, and washes such as this one are used to strip wax/sealants down to the bare paint to help get the best adhesion on the new layer of wax/sealant you are applying. Thus, yes you are correct, only use this wash or washes like this if you are looking at stripping your protection and applying new protection. Once you have the LSP down and you just wash to wash your car, maintinacen wash, use ONR if you would like or a pH nuetral wash that will not harm your LSP film layer.

5. MisterShark

Just checked CG's site and this product indeed is not yet listed as far as I can tell.

I did notice something on the above picture though: the site addy at the bottom of the label is detailedImage.com instead of the site address for Chemical Guys.

Does anyone know why this is? Did Detailed Image have CG custom label the product for advertising purposes?

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

CG will put the name of the store that is selling the product at the bottom. When I buy from Detailed Image all there CG products have there store name there, if you buy from CG then there address is listed there.

CG is not the best at updating there web page, there is a lot of stuff they have for sale not on the site, you can call them and order it or order it from DI as there shipping is most of the time cheaper for east coast people and sometimes even west.

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Hmmm, I've been waiting for something like this. I'm pretty sure I asked them for it a ways back. That would be cool if they did it for me!

8. MisterShark

Thanks AG.

I tried calling CG just to verify the product's availability but I think it's a bit early yet on the West Coast.

I've got a local vendor here in Jersey that I get everything from. I'm through paying for shipping costs.

9. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Who? Where? I live in NJ also.

If you call up Chemical Guys, you can probably order this product directly from them. DI sells the Citrus Wheel & Rim Cleaner and Chemical Guys doesn't sell it on their website. But I just called and asked for it and they sold it to me over the phone no problem since DI does not carry the gallon version.

The only question is whether this product will actually work at stripping LSP. So far, Citrus Wash & Gloss as well as the Citrus Wash & Clear never ever strip anything for me.

10. ditttoo

ditttoo Virgin Detailer

How does this compare to P21 Total Wash? Will the P21 strip LSP?:shead:

11. Emile

I just called and I was told that this product isn't new...it's actually the original version of the newer Citrus Wash & Glass and Citrus Wash & Clear. It can be ordered from the website for $18.95 a gallon. Just order Citrus Wash & Clear and in the Comments box, just state that you want the CG Citrus Wash original in the orange color and they'll make it.

BUT, the guy over the phone told me that the best product for LSP-stripping is the Citrus Wash & Gloss; 2oz for 3 gallons of water should do the trick. I told him that I have both Citrus Wash & Gloss and Citrus Wash & Clear and neither of them seem to do the trick even at much heavier dilutions of 6oz for 3 gallons of water but he insisted it will work.

I'm glad I've got my order of 1 gallon of Tropi-Care Citrus Pre-Cleaner on the way. :headbang:

12. Emile

P21S TAW is more of an all-purpose cleaner/degreaser. It needs a minute or two of dwell time at full strength (such as spraying on directly) so your best bet is to look elsewhere for stripping wax.

You could add around 6 or 8 oz of P21S TAW in your wash bucket and that might do the trick but there's no guarantee.

13. barrym

barrym DB Forum Supporter

Anybody know if this is a completely different shampoo than their Bugs and Tar Heavy Duty Shampoo, or is it more or less the same thing?

Has anybody here tried their new Glossworkz shampoo yet? It's not up on their US site either.

14. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

15. MisterShark

I'm willing to give it a shot.

My local guy's site is GlimmerGlassDetailing.com
    He operates out of Cranford, but has a storage area in Kenilworth also. I've stopped by and picked up products from him weekly these days.
    I'm going to ask him to get the Citruswash and then once he gets it I'll stop at either Cranford or Kenilworth on my drive home from work to pick it up: no shipping charges that way.
    Chris has gotten a couple of custom-ordered items for me like that; items that he doesn't usually feature on his site or stock normally.

16. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

17. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I've read multiple posts where you have stated that P21S TAW does not and has not worked for you when you are trying to strip LSP.

Everytime I have read this I am always puzzled since TAW has ALWAYS worked for me as a LSP stripper... Now I read CWG and CWC also does not strip LSP's for you

I have to say I really am puzzled because all 3 of them work for me and as far as I know everyone else that has used them for this purpose...

18. Emile

Then why don't you tell us what your delivery method is because I haven't stumbled upon a way to use P21S TAW and/or CWC/CWG to fully strip LSP.

I try to use sealants that are resistant to detergent washes so I'm really not surprised when P21S TAW - A DETERGENT FORMULA - doesn't fully strip my existing paint protection.

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I put TAW in a pump sprayer and spray it onto the panels.. Never tried it via foam cannon...

the CG soaps on the other hand, I have used via foam cannon. Also with great results.

For very strong lsp's I will make sure to follow up the TAW or CG soap (delivered as described above) with a strong mixture of either one in my bucket.

20. Emile

Thanks, Deep Gloss, myself and others appreciate the input. :headbang:

I just got an e-mail from the guys at DI regarding the new (old) CG Citrus Wash.

They said that to strip LSP, CWG and CWC will need more than one strong application from a foam cannon to help break down durable sealants. They also said that a 2+ oz per gallon ratio in a wash bucket is also needed. The CG Citrus Wash is similar to the other two products but only needs 1+ oz per gallon for better value.

I just got an e-mail from Tropi-Care also, regarding the Citrus Pre-Cleaner. Steve said to go a couple of ounces per gallon in a wash bucket, and to go 4-6 ounces in a foam cannon...even more if the car is very dirty.

I think it's also important to note that P21S TAW will leave its own light protection behind...according to the back of the bottle it will "leave surfaces gleaming" and provides "corrosion inhibitors."