CG new wax ?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by raptor, Dec 7, 2009.

1. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

well said, nobody has to agree with it but if it makes you happy and you can afford it go for it enjoy it. That goes for anything in life, different strokes as they say.

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i bet that container cost more then the wax thats in it

3. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

Yep, you've got the gist of it. Collinite 915 (albeit a $30-40 wax, not 15... but still "cheap" by most of our standards for wax) came in second, IIRC, behind SV BOS/Smaragd. Z* Royale didn't fare very well. All in all, it was concluded that prep accounts for 99.99% of how well the end result turns out, with the LSP providing just the slighest bit of nuance to the overall appearance.

Honestly, I can't see myself purchasing a wax over $1,000... even $500 would be a stretch for me psychologically. Independent of income thresholds, a dollar is a dollar... so, two-thousand dollars spent on one wax is two thousand dollars you could've spent elsewhere or saved, invested, etc. But that's just me - I completely agree that, for those with the interest of collecting waxes... it's really no different than any other hobby or interest you might allocate some disposable income to.

:shrug:

4. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

if any one is interested i can cnc you an aluminum case for your waxes with YOUR logo on it for $1500. then you can transfer your wax to it. i can put an o-ring on it to seal it, i can put multiple o-rings on it for that matter lol. heck i can make a box with multiple compartments to hold more than one wax.

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

IIRC, that was DaveKG that did that test on all the black cars.

6. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

ok then i guess ill stop hunting for wax

7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

DaveKG is the best... I love reading his threads...

8. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

That is exactly the way I see it, 2,000 could easily be well spent somewhere else. In fact, the last thing I spent 2,000 on, I put it in the stock market some months ago and have since doubled it. BTW, I got my Collinite 915(just check) for 19.95 + $5 shipping off of ebay FWIW.

I love them too :thumb: I can't wait to experiment like that once I have my own place to work in.

9. Cooter

Cooter Guest

+1

Dave does some really cool stuff. He gives a great opinion on products and is very open minded. He's a really great contributer!

10. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Agreed, I have learnt alot from his comprehensive thread.

11. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

I think I can make the case for about 20 bucks lol. But your still probably right the container still probably cost more than the wax in it. :giggle:

This is exactly what I am trying to do. I was just wondering if it sealed with a O-ring up top or not. I might just go to CG to see if it does.

Only thing is what wax would I put in the container? LOL

12. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

It is very similar to the DODO line up, color specific waxes mainly and a new polish similar to 105. I did not find out when it will be available though.

13. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

LOL i think i chunk of raw 6061-T6 aluminum is more than $20 bucks. you can't provide comparative price structure when you are using materials given to you and/or work performed on some one else's dime. i have seen some custom cnc machined aluminum blocks total out to $20K with materials and programing, it all depends on your end product

14. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

For an 8" square billet of AL the price is around $300!!!

Obviously buying in bulk saves a lot... but still I can't imagine the blocks cost them less than $75-$100....

15. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

My cousins own an aerospace manufacturing company. They make parts for Boeing and the US military. I talked to them about making this piece they said it would be no problem at all it is super simple. So yes it would be still be an aerospace chunk of aluminum that I would have machined out. And it is really that cheap for a piece of aluminum that size they said about $7-8 (It would probably cost the normal consumer a lot more since they have Al connections). I showed them the actual CG case itself and they said if CG bought it in a lot 1000 it should only cost them about $20-40 since it is very light on machining work.

As far as labor cost that would be different I would be getting that done for free. So in the end it would only cost me around $8 dollars and the time it takes to design the case. They're PT Industries Inc. located in Long Beach, CA check them out. :)

16. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Will you be selling these cases? If so, I'm interested.