CG Leather conditioner?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by rcu316, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rcu316

rcu316 Virgin Detailer

I was looking on Chemical Guys site and was wondering what conditioner would be good to use on leather seats and would also serve to wipe the dash down with? Anybody have any suggestions?

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Ive used their conditioner and it was terrible. I dont know of any product to be used on both leather and the dash. Those are two different surfaces that should be treated differently if you ask me.

3. Cooter

Cooter Guest

+ 1 with DnD's comments. I've got some of the 2 in 1 leather cleaner/conditioner. Its not all that great. I really like Pinnacle's and 4 Star leather products.

Never heard of anything for the leather seats and dash. Maybe if you had a leather covered dash:thinking:

4. richy

richy Guest

I beg to differ on that. I have used 303 Aerospace on both dash and leather and I think it works great. I apply with a sponge and dry with mf.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I know that FMINUS uses it but it's not one of his favorite products...

6. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Yea not a big fan, but its cheap.

The Smartwax conditioner is better and is formulated differently from the CG version.

But still not GREAT. I still like Pinnacles leather coniditoner the best so far.

I have Leather Master but have yet to use it.

7. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Totally forgot about 303!!

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I am a fan of the Duragloss Leather Conditioner. I even used it on my COWBOY BOOTS and they came out GREAT!!!

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Um I just resently used Optimum Protection Plus on dash and on leather, on leather it looked okay but I still prefer a true leather product, I'm enjoying Lexol so far.

I haven't tried 303 though...mmm..:shead:

10. OrngeZ

OrngeZ Birth of a Detailer

the CG leather conditioner is one of the few products that is at best "okay"...it gets the job done...makes leather soft...but the look is VERY shiny....the only thing i find it best on is lighter colored leathers because it is only leather conditioner that makes it look like you did something to the leather...on black it looks like you "oiled" the leather...

11. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

I agree with P1et. I like the Duragloss 221 Leather conditioner better than 303, DP, and Duragloss 201.

12. D&D Auto Detailing

I thought the OP is looking for something that conditions the leather. 303 and OPP are protectants. Can those products really condition leather?

13. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I have used a few different leather products..and I like the DG 221...it does nice on leather..and I like the Gliptone one also....The 221 is one used on the King Ranch leather also...same product...it brings dry leather back to a nice flexible leather

I like using the 201 on interior and exterior plastics...it is a long lasting product...its just a bit to slippery for Leather IMO but does work nice on it...great protector for leather though...

Al

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Tried a sample of CG leather conditioner, wasn't impressed at all...Liked it better then DG, but still it's far behind compared to Four Star and Pinnacle...
    Should be fine for bulk details though...

15. D&D Auto Detailing

Ive got a bunch of 4* and a little Pinnacle left if you want it supercharged.

16. supercharged

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty much set for now. I got 4 bottles (16 bottles) of 4* leather conditioner, 1/2 gallon of gel leather cleaner (love this stuff!), 1/2 gallon jug (2/3 full) of Wolfgang leather conditioner, and a bottle of Pinnacle leather conditioner. That should last me a while.

by the way, how do you like leather master? Protection cream, and rejuvenator???

17. D&D Auto Detailing

I like it a lot. Best stuff Ive used so far.

18. supercharged

Thanks.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Basic Leather care - Basic Leather Care - Auto Geek Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum

Many of the newer vehicles do not use natural leather hides anymore Approximately 80% of vehicle manufacturers are using (thermoplastic) polyurethane covered pigmented leather for their interior upholstery. Pigmented leather simply means that the finished leather or polyurethane covering has been coloured (you’ve never seen grey cows have you?) Are we to take care of the leather or the protective covering? The answer is to take care of the protective topcoat and the leather will take care of itself.

Automotive leather upholstery is made from natural chrome tanned hides, which is pigmented and some are then further sealed by a durable polyethylene covering to make it more viable for automotive seating protecting the hide from abrasion from clothing as well as the dust / dirt introduced by the vehicle’s AC system. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, which besides body oil is leathers worst enemy.

The complex tanning process of chromed tanned hide’s results in the fat liquoring and oils necessary to keep the hide soft and pliable being locked in and therefore there is no need to supplement them. Traditional type conditioner’s cannot penetrate the finished hide, but rather sit on the surface until they are removed by contact with clothing or evaporate. The same is true of most oil or cream-based conditioners, but they will also have an adverse effect on polyurethane.

Water-based leather care products will permeate the finished leather or the polyurethane covering as its molecules are much smaller; oil has larger molecules than water and is unable to penetrate the surface. Incidentally; water will not harm upholstery leather, tanning is carried out by immersing the hide in water.

Protection – leather protection is an essential element in leather care, upholstery leather requires protection from dirt / grit (brought in via the A/C system) and ultra violet radiation. Protection should be applied the first day and thereafter 2 - 4 times per year (dependant upon local climate). It makes it easier to clean and remove any accidental spills, ink marks etc. Being water-based it helps hydration by balancing the necessary moisture level of all leather types (except Nubuck).

Although it’s primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it. There are many forms of dirt-
    Dry soils-consist of dust and microscopic particles which act in a similar way to fine sandpaper on the leather finish, when subject to friction

Body oils – heads and hands (or any bare skin) are the main culprits but micro-body oils will also migrate through clothing and finished leathers, they tend to sink into the surface quickly. Of all the ‘dirt’, they can be the most damaging because the acids in the body oils will have a destructive action on polyurethane leather covering and pigmented leather finishes, causing them to break down over time.

This product will help to provide protection against oil, water, and alcohol based stains, as well as providing resistance to the effects of daily soiling It places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather. Protect your leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection, this way you are not actually cleaning the original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. Leather Master™ Protection

Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Protection [/B][: so named because the spectrum starts with wavelengths slightly shorter than the wavelengths humans identify as the color violet (purple). 99% of the ultraviolet radiation that reaches the Earth's surface is UV-A.]
    Many polymers used in consumer products are degraded by UV light, and need addition of UV stabilizers to inhibit attack. Products include thermoplastics, such as polypropylene and polyethylene UV absorption leads to chain degradation and loss of strength. In addition, many pigments and dyes absorb UV and change colour, so paintings and textiles may need extra protection both from sunlight and fluorescent lamps.

Ultraviolet Light Absorbers (UV-A) are molecules used in organic materials (polymers, paints, etc.) to absorb UV light in order to reduce the degradation (photo-oxidation) of a material. A number of different UV-A exist with different absorption properties. Physical "blockers" of UV radiation such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide UV-A molecules can disappear over time; so renewing UVR protection is necessary in weathered materials is necessary.

Ultra violet radiation is a leather and paint surface's greatest enemy, causing more damage than any other airborne contaminant and affecting both the interior and exterior of a vehicle. The light in this spectral range is responsible for photo degradation. Photo degradation results in discoloration, fading, embitterment, cracking, chalking and/or loss of mechanical properties. You should consider UV protection (especially if you own a convertible) leather care products typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to use an ultra violet radiation (UV) radiation protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant) bonds to vinyl, finished leather, coated leather and leaves a lustrous, non-oily, non-greasy repellent finish, repels water, dirt, dust, oils, sweat, lotions, ink marks, etc.

My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not hype or brand loyalty. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

TOGWT ™ Copyright © 2002-2008. Jon Miller, all rights reserved

20. Nica

Nica Banned

Always a pleasure to read your feed back togwt, thank you for sharing with us :thumb: