CG Diablo wheel gel or P21S wheel gel?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by cleanfiend, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Mozzie, I have the best success at 3:1. After 4:1 it just becomes too watery and I no longer consider it a gel. I spray the wheels directly, but to get behind the spokes, I use a brush bent in the shape of an "L" and I will spray the brush directly and start cleaning (since it is almost impossible to spray onto the back of the spokes).

CG gives us the impression that Diablo can and should be left to dwell before agitating, but in my experience the product starts working as soon as you start cleaning. Similar to P21S Gel, you have to use the appropriate brush(es) to agitate the wheel.

2. Mozzie_Owner

Mozzie_Owner Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the info, will try it at the lower dilution next weekend (weather being nice etc)

3. ndrom

ndrom Two Bucket System Washer

It seems a lot of the tests of both these cleaners are on wheels that look like they could be cleaned with a good QD.

So, I tested P21s Gel and Diablo (cut 2:1) side by side on some horribly dirty wheels to see what they can really do. These wheels are the stock wheels off my 325is. I don't think they had even been cleaned in the life of them.

The results:
    [​IMG]

Which side do you think is which?

Here is a link.

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Thanks, Great test. Can't wait to see Diablo used straight or even cut 1:1.

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Wow. Normally that type of stuff is straight to WB or Tardis. That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

But that's just my .02. Gotta use the proper cleaner for the proper situation. I mean, if it were me with those wheels, I would've went to something stronger right away. The p21s side is still not properly clean.

It is a great test to see just how much they can clean though, to determine a limit as to what they can and cannot clean. Thanks for the time to do the review! It's what a lot of us were waiting for.

6. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I agree that most of the reviews are by enthusiasts like us who quite honestly have cars that are consistently in much better shape than some of the 'horror' details that come up.

Thank you very much for the comparison/review, I appreciate your insight!

7. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Great review! Really shows the power of P21s. I agree with you guys most of the wheel cleaner reviews on here I could just use a wash solution to clean up. Which is what I do haha I see no reason to use a cleaner of that type unless there is some real build up (though maybe not as much as teh wheels above haha) so I don't strip the protection.

8. ndrom

Thanks guys. I hope this made a quality first post.

You are completely right, but the point of this test wasn't to clean the wheels, it was to compare cleaners.

In my mind, this was the most objective way to do it.

9. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks for the review. I'm sticking with P21s.

10. ndrom

11. Emile

Excellent reviews, ndrom. This is exactly as I suspected. Diablo is not even a good degreaser, it won't do anything to strip tire dressings. While Diablo offers an excellent cheaper alternative to the famous P21S Gel in terms of surface safety, I think Diablo needs to be accompanied by a stronger cleaner for cleaning up those nasty wheel barrels.

12. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Although this is an old thread I figured I'd go ahead and post my findings about CG Diablo here, since this topic helped me decide to buy it in the first place. Usually I go to Wheel Brightener straight away as most of the cars I get haven't been maintained. But this year I knew I'd be getting some nicer vehicles with aftermarket wheels on which I couldn't use WB. As I was almost out of P21S wheel cleaner I decided I'd try to find something more cost-effective. After some research I picked Diablo and decided to do a little test today.

I diluted it 3:1 and 10:1, but for this test I only used the 10:1 to see how strong it was at that dilution, on something that would be a bit of a challenge. Fortunately such a challenge showed up...my cousin's 2001 Volvo V70. It hadn't been cleaned since we sold it to her back in November/December, so a lovely accumulation of brake dust had built up on the front wheels. Normally I would go straight to WB for something so dirty, but I decided to try out Diablo at 10:1 on one of them (and WB on the other) and just see how it would cope. And it was an excuse to go spend some time with my cousin washing the car :)

Here's both wheels before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And afters. I used the EZ Detail brush, a large Autozone brush, and a Raceglaze brush to get them clean. I didn't spend a ton of time on them so they aren't perfect but the results were still clear. The Diablo did better than I thought, it got most of the accumulation off...even in the barrels, which to my knowledge had never been cleaned before. But it took a fair amount of agitation, and I had to re-spray it in a few places and re-agitate to really get the thick accumulations off. If I were to do wheels this dirty on a client's car, I would definitely go with the 3:1 dilution, but I was still very impressed with how well it worked at 10:1. The WB on the other wheel of course, worked quite well and got nearly everything off with little agitation. But that is not an option on every car.

After Diablo:

[​IMG]

Some thick buildup still remaining, here's where a stronger dilution (and spending more time) would be beneficial:

[​IMG]

After WB:

[​IMG]

Hope this was helpful,

Clark

13. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Yeah Diablo is pretty weak. Now theres too many amazing wheel cleaners. Brown Royal, AG CWC, Sonax (great for brake dust...*cough* germans), and P21S proves to be a tried and true cleaner, but its not a standout, but its very safe on delicate wheels.

14. Emile

Awesome review, Rusty. I am surprised at how well Diablo worked at 10:1 on those wheels. Wheel Brightener is such a beast though. And I love the water-beading shine it gives off after rinsing, hence the name "Wheel Brightener" hehe.

15. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

might have to pick up a gallon of wheel brightner, probably will do wonders on SUV wheels............ the more I use diablo the more I find it to be pretty weak, the Citrus gel is better actually IMO, and AG CWC is my go to wheel cleaner now for custom/ sensitive wheels.

16. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Dont you just have everything... lol

17. Kilo6_one

No, becuase I don't have any wheel brightner yet.......... LOL.

CG wheels cleaners were cheap so I picked up a few, but really I think OPT PC actually does a very good job on wheels, no matter what product i have Im still breaking out the brushes to agitate.

18. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

CG wheel cleaners are priced pretty well but shipping destroys the price :/

19. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Definately good review Rusty! I have never been a fan of the Diablo myself. My wheel cleaners are:
    Duragloss Metal Cleaner and Brightener: For polished wheels
    Meguires Wheel Brightener: For nasty wheels
    P21S gel or CWC: For nice (but dirty) wheels
    Soap and water: Mantained wheels
    I have tried MANY wheel cleaners over the years and narrowed it down these,and unless Avi from CarPro comes up with some insane wheel cleaner to match up with the rest of his line.I highly doubt I will ever try or need anything else.LOL

20. Kilo6_one

Depends on where you live sadly...... sort of what happens when I buy something from Phil, east too west coast shipping is pricey.

I think I had 5 gallons of product shipped from CG for like 18.00 so it was a wash.. but i live 5 hours north of them