Can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by BlackBearTX, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BlackBearTX

BlackBearTX Virgin Detailer

So visiting my parents over 2 weeks for christmas, my roommates had the dogs in the garage with another roommate coming home to feed them when she didn't work. So the dogs ate my swissvax interior(wheel) brush and my Meguiars Paint Cleaner disappeared (my favorite product, I have to order more. Going to remove spray paint from a tag on my roomies Ford Ranger). Anyways, I need a new interior brush so I am looking at chemical guys.
    The Goat- Boar's Hair Detail Brushes Ultimate Interior & Exterior Brush
    So they claim to have created this brush, and oddly on their youtube video it is referred to as horse's hair instead of boar's hair. (I thought Boar's Hair came from Boars, I could be wrong)
    Anyways, looking for some meguiars paint cleaner I am browsing auto detailing solutions for other products I might want because I love their APC+ for auto carpets and carpets in the house, and I see they are now carrying more brands and what not so I look through and see this
    SM Arnold Large Vent & Dash
    Both claim to be Boar's hair, both claim to be 10" long, Chem guys bashes the competition for using a metal neck and thats why they designed their brush that way. Chem guys is pretty shady so I'm wondering if they rebranded this brush or are making a false claim they designed it. My V.R.P. review giving the product 3 stars got removed because they remove any review lower than 4/5 stars. I spent an hour and a half coating my volvo 780's exterior plastic in it only to have it wash off with the next rain when its supposed to be for tires and whatnot. I will not boycott Chemical Guys until their products are inferior though, you just have to know what to buy from them or else you get scammed.
    Pictures:
    Chemical Guys "The Goat"
    [​IMG]

SM Arnold Large Vent and Dash
    [​IMG]

Overall I could care less if SM Arnold is selling a brush they rebranded, but at least I am not seeing claims that they invented it. If Chemical Guys is claiming to have invented it and its a generic brush than its another shady practice and the detailer should be informed for future decisions for shopping with CG. A newbie may not be able to tell CG will remove any bad reviews for their products.
    Are they the same? They both have the black plastic neck, and angle in away from the brush side with a hole. Perhaps one company is ripping off another, perhaps its just a generic brush being sold under different names where one company claims to have invented it.

Edit: Browsing the S.M. Arnold Brush, it seems to have "Bristles Set In: Metal Ferrule", that is the only difference I can tell. I still see it as plagiarism despite this one difference.
    (I would get another swissvax interior brush if that wasn't all I needed from detailersdomain. Best brush for interior I have bought)

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I have the SM, Swissvax, and one other proper autocare used to sell, I actually thing the SM is pretty on par with the swissvax, only major difference for me was the handle. I prefer smaller diameter handles as it is more comfortable. Hence I bought the swissvax brushes. All three are very good, and honestly if its cost go with the less expensive option...

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I brought in a bunch of the SM Arnold ones and quite like them. They are great for jambs etc and are boars hair. I find the bristles are too long and not firm enough for interior cleaning other than geting light dust out of vents. I use my RG brushes for the interior. CG would be buying them from SM Arnold.